Lets Talk! good vibes only plz

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by FL!P, Mar 14, 2021.

1. FL!P Augur

Hey guys, just looking to have a small chat about Everquest. I would be grateful if we can keep some good vibes in here. Just a few questions to get the chat rolling

1. What motivates you to play EQ? What aspect of the game really gives you that warm and fuzzy?

2. If you work on average how much time do you think a week you spend playing? Does limited time ever discourage you?

3. Do you put blinders on and just focus on your own goals to keep a good perspective on progression and not feel overwhelmed? Or maybe just get your kicks logging and helping guildies get things knocked out.

4. Whats your favorite class?! and do you main it? or did you choose another path!

5. Do you fancy progression servers or live? maybe both?

6. When did you start playing? or what is your favorite zone?

Feel free to skip the questions and tell me about maybe your favorite adventure in eq! Just looking to get a good thread of some positivity going. I will post back after lunch with some of my own stories, looking forward to reading about you guys!
  2. Sissruukk Rogue One

1) The community, especially my guild and the overall community on Vox.
    2) Logged in: probably close to 40 hours a week. However, due to IRL stuff, I really only play about 10-15 tops.
    3) Helping other guildies for the most part, though sometimes I do focus on what I need to get done.
    4) Rogue. It is my main, and for the most part, the only one I play.
    5) Live
    6) 2000. Not sure I have a favorite zone, but I do have zones I don't like (Caverns of Endless Song, any other zone that requires swimming to get around, and Tower of Rot just to name a couple).
  3. FL!P Augur

Awesome!
    For me I think
    1. The game itself all the way down to the loading screen music gives me nostalgia every time. Def the community, always nice to be able to log in and get a chat going. And the progression, to this day i always come back to EQ because i like its progression over any other MMO title.

2. I currently do not play but plan on activating the account again tonight to jump back in for a few. Alot of options server wise which is nice, even after this many years there is still this many people playing.

3. I get overwhelmed pretty easy, and with my schedule raiding was impossible which is why i quit for awhile. My only hope is an EU guild and I have struggled to find one. This time around Im thinking of picking a class and just seeing how far I can make it solo. So I guess just picking small goals usually gets me really excited, I love doing the wood elf illusion mask quest on the 11 or so SKs I have laying around. I just enjoy wood elf plate with 2hander =)

4. My fave class will probably always be SK. Melee/Magic hybrids are always my favorite in MMOS, though I am sad it is purely tank I still enjoy playing it. I also enjoy ranger alot. Thought every class brings a really fun dynamic to the game. I also feel that enchanter in this game is one of the most unique experiences of a class in any MMO.

5. I play both TLP and live. I have not done much passed PoP sadly. On live its a barren wasteland trying to catch up so I kinda gave up on that. I come back for every TLP though hoping to stick with one and ride it till the end. Sadly I have yet to do so =(. Most guilds I feel fizzle out after PoP and the ones that remain sadly are often not within my playtime. Which is fine because I enjoy the group game immensely in this game, especially when all players are actively playing there classes and not riding AFK. Nothing beats getting a full group of good/active players, the thought of experiencing that is what brings me back again this time!

Some of my favorite experiences...

1. Being in my mid teens, and playing Rallos Zek with a RL friend. We still did not know the game well at all. We both made SKs for the harm touch, and farmed the no drop quest armor. We stayed lvl 9 so we could not get looted and just terrorized the noob gardens (since noob gardens were all we knew as we never lvled passed 15). We ran across another SK with the coolest looking shield we had ever seen! We stacked harm touches and dropped him to find it was a Sarnak Battle Shield. 13/14 year old me was on top of the world lol.

2. 2 of my RL friends used to grind nobles in high keep. I would train them on my monk often to troll them. At the time I did not know what trolling was, I just had a blast trying to kill them. And it made them play top notch trying to stay alive and clear it. They usually did so in the end I was just pulling for them, but we all had alot of fun trying to kill each other and survive.

3. Even the real life experiences, I cannot tell you how many yards I had to cut to be able to buy the expansion, as I started eq at the age of 13. Or trying to patch the game on dial-up for hours, dieing more and more inside with each phone call that kicked me off.

4. The good ole Skater Gnome posts.

All in all Everquest gave me experiences that helped define and guide my life in a direction I could have never guessed. I could not be happier with the results and this game will always be a special place for me.
    RaptorGesus likes this.
  4. RaptorGesus Journeyman

1. Best community. Great lore, and the feeling of accomplishment that the epic 1.0 gave.
    2. TLP. Live just feels like a different game.
    4. Wizard, crits on big nukes made me feel good.
    6. Paludal caverns. As a chronic reroller I basically lived here.

sk8trGn0m3 for life!

My best experience was camping eyepatch with my ranger friend. First camp we ever experienced.
  5. KarmaKitty Augur

Someone writing a paper ;)

1. What motivates you to play EQ? What aspect of the game really gives you that warm and fuzzy?
    Uh, its like therapy.

2. If you work on average how much time do you think a week you spend playing? Does limited time ever discourage you?
    Probably, 6 hours in multiple sessions. Lately, I just log in for /over and reset my vendor.

3. Do you put blinders on and just focus on your own goals to keep a good perspective on progression and not feel overwhelmed? Or maybe just get your kicks logging and helping guildies get things knocked out.
    Molo
    Main and eight alts. Want to get a few alt up to 115, but they will be lite on AAs.

4. Whats your favorite class?! and do you main it? or did you choose another path!
    Knight (pally main, sk alt)

5. Do you fancy progression servers or live? maybe both?
    Live

6. When did you start playing? or what is your favorite zone?
    Early on, I don't remember back that far. Have taken a few long breaks.

Favorite zone for hunting (any zone with undead) otherwise POK.
  6. Zarkdon Augur

1) The social aspect, and escapism. You log on and can go adventuring in massive amounts of content. I think I'm a minority, bit I've loved the redoing of older zones. It's been fun to see how the world developed while I was away, but can still go see the older zones when I feel nostalgic. It also keeps the world feeling alive.

2) I probably play too much at the moment. I was away from the game for years and am trying to play catch up. Couple hours a night and probably 8 on the weekends.

3) Depends on my mood. I do enjoy leveling my own character and progressing hum, but I enjoy helping people achieve their goals when they need help. Particular a returning player wanting to get their 2.0 at a level its useful.

4) There are only two classes in Everquest. Beastlords and those wishing they were beastlords. I play the former.

5)I returned to live. I dabbled in p1999 for long enough to remember why I quit playing Everquest. There is a limit to the abuse I want to take. I think the QoL features have made the game more approachable for casual players, but mostly retained the resource management and danger that made EQ so thrilling.

6) Started in 1999 at the tender age of 13. Left with Omens of War and just returned a few months ago.

I really love CoM. The whole feeling of that zone is amazing. I was pleasantly surprised with Beasts Domain in VoA when I returned. The camouflaged mobs in the jungle really made you pay attention.
  7. Liin Edud (Tunare) Augur

8. Liin Edud (Tunare) Augur

1. Since Luclin was released I've always said its for the people. I don't raid anymore and I play just to interact with people I've known for a while and see how much of the game we can get done with the limited amount of time we all have (see #2)

2. I work a full time job and I have a family. Are there ever times I wish I could not go to work and just waste the day on EQ? Sure. But that's life I guess. I maybe play 4-5 hours during the week and then maybe that much again on the weekends if there's something going on or that people are excited about working on. If there's nothing to work on then I'll log until later and check back in.

3. I rarely focus on my goals. We make sure everyone gets through everything they want to and then guild leadership kind of drags people along as needed to the things we want to do. It all kind of works out in the end.

4. I have 3 characters but my main is my shaman and mainly its my favorite because its the only class I halfway know what I'm doing.

5. I have never even tried a TLP server. I don't think I'd enjoy it even for the nostalgia. Too many quality of life improvements that I've gotten used to but I also think that I'll never recapture that same feeling of mystery and exploration from 20 years ago. There's just too much information/strategy out there that I don't think you could ever replicate again. I'd feel obligated to play something other than a shaman if I was going to truly start over from scratch and then I wouldn't know what I was doing (see #4) or I'd play a shaman and hate it because I wouldn't be able to do what I can do now.

6. June 4, 1999. I worked in a gaming store in highschool and college and we just migrated from Ultima Online to EQ. My favorite zone has always been Sleeper's Tomb. Great lore, super creepy dungeon vibe, exclusive access because you needed to win a raid per person to get people keyed. I was super excited when I heard it was being released again in CoV. I was underwhelmed though but I think that had more to do with how I built it up in my head and a failure to recapture the mystery. (see #5)
  9. Vumad Cape Wearer

1) My guild. EQ is a team sport.
    2) Varies. Yes. I box to address my playtime and attention issues.
    3) Much of my time is focusing on my needed check boxes, but I try to help others when I can.
    4) ENC by a large margin.
    5) See #1
    6) Pop, EQ evolutions. Plane of Innovation and Dulak's Harbor.

Mergers and name changes aside, I have been in the same guild since i think 2005. I have the same class leader and raid leader I did 16 years ago.
  10. Stymie Pendragon

White on a light tan background is very hard to read. I'm not trying to be mean, but just saying. And Liin, why the dot?
    KarmaKitty likes this.
  11. LDEffectsMe Augur

1. Nostalgia and team work. I come back to EQ because it's a game I remember from when I was younger and I stick around because I get involved with other people and enjoy that some things can't be accomplished alone.
    2. I work about 50 hours per week on average, but somehow find a way to play EQ for 4-6 hours per night. (I'm tired many days at work.)
    3. I put blinders on to not think too hard about progression. If I focus too hard on what's ahead, it almost feels like a mountain. The one step at a time approach works better for me.
    4. Berserker is my favorite class overall. I don't tend to main it because I've been "stuck" in the TLP loop lately and the Berserker doesn't come onto the scene until I already have a well established main.
    5. Live was my favorite game to play, but I do TLP (which I don't completely hate) these days because of #3.
    6. 2003 during Legacy of Ykesha's launch. North Freeport was my favorite zone, but in its absence it'd pick High Keep as a close second.