Zek Rising!!!

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Sokon, Feb 22, 2021.

1. Gyradore New Member

The hatred by forum regulars for Pvp on this forum is actually quite ridiculous. Quite hypocritical as well. It's many things. It's funny like - did you all try pvp and just suck bad and get wrecked constantly? Everyone seems so bumhurt when it's mentioned. A bunch of greedy arseholes crying any work on PVP will take away time from the main game, as if you have never heard of the concept of 'sharing'. Literally just trying to ruin people's fun for absolutely no reason, because you suck at or don't enjoy PVP.

And your main argument that no pvpers showed up to a Barney and Friends-esque show of force in the current game...
    Please, if you don't like pvp, there's plenty of other threads to read.
  2. Act of Valor The Newest Member

Yeah, that's clearly what the issue is, we're all mad that we were killed by someone on Zek long ago. Brilliant.
  3. Cailen Augur

4. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

So, I'm going to make a point that will hopefully be helpful going forward. The last two posts from Zek players are a good example of how to do it right and how to do it wrong.

Yueyenie made a long and detailed post addressing several points, didn't attack anybody, but was firm that he is going to continue pursuing this. Good post and good points.

Gyradore made what used to be the typical PvP'er post, accusing the haters of sucking at PvP and pushing the red vs. blue divide. To be fair it wasn't as toxic as these kinds of posts have been in the past, but they still don't help. And also to be fair, there were plenty of people in here knocking EQ PvP in general and ignoring that the main problem with EQ PvP is that it's been ignored for so long.

Now I'm not singling out Gyradore or saying they are the problem, I get why they would feel that way and post that. But we also can't ignore that Sokon, who was trying to make things better, got himself forum banned on three accounts for being really pushy about all of this, most likely just from not realizing he was breaking the rules, or not caring, when he got fired up.

Being brash, getting a little trash-talky, that seems to be a PvP player thing in general. It's part of the grittiness of player combat, and understandable. But it really makes using the forums to press your point a lot more difficult. You end up in a bunch of squabbles about nothing with people who will just waste your time. ForumQuest is an art, just like raiding or PvP, so you gotta know your audience.

I wish I could get people to stop trying to lop off sections of the game they don't care about in an effort to get more attention to the parts they do care about. But people are free to have their opinions and post them, so that's not gonna happen. As mentioned on page one, I used to be one who wrote off EQ PvP long ago. That wasn't due to mechanics, that was due to toxicity, just constant toxicity and e-peening from PvP players on the forums. Their words gave me an easy license to discount what they are saying. This time it started differently, so I reacted differently.

I wish the Zek population well. I hope they can find some small suggestions that could make a difference in the dynamics of EQ PvP, that would actually have a chance of being implemented. I'd love to see what effects those changes would have. I'm not likely to play on Zek myself, but anything is possible. In the end, I just want as many people playing and paying for this game as we can get, while still understanding that dev time is precious and there are many things, both blue and red that could benefit from getting more time from them.
    Skuz, Sokon and Windance like this.
  5. FawnTemplar Augur

Sure... or you know, I just listen to people when they tell me "No." I'm sure they actually meant they wanted you to keep asking when they said "No." though.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  6. Boogey New Member

I canceled 6 accounts because your lack of resolve to fix and issues with pvp. The player base has been asking for even a little balancing over a decade. I play on a blue server and a lot of the people who want to go back to a functional pvp environment do as well. The population of Zek is not indicative of the pvp supporting base in this game. I encourage you to actually do in an game poll or something. You guys have been missing the ball for some time now.
  7. Sokon Augur

Went on a vacation to celebrate my wife's 2nd birthday married with me. Planned on coming back the 15th but stayed till the 28th, had a lot of fun.

Haven't had any talks with anyone since returning, but the next thing I'm gonna try to get some of the same people to work on is the following:

Instead or stressing the broakeness of Zek atm, and maybe getting them to toss us a bone, never worked in the past. Most probably won't work in the future. We need to request/work on a long range plan.

We've gotten some good stuff over the years on the Zek server, all together, but we received them all one at a time, and few did much of anything.

1. We got double experience
    2. We got free server transfers
    3. We got zone in DA, resets on 5 minutes(i think) when you are safe to zone again and get da again
    4. We got blue names in dynamic zones and instances
    5. Gyrospire relocation clicky finally got nerfed
    6. The pvp kill announcement system was implemented, more on that later

If we got another considerable change, like one of the ones above, chances are we won't see much of an outcome. Had all those changes been developed over time, and launched all at once, would we have seen a considerable population rise? I'd argue yes.

From here on out I am going to work on(haven't done any of the work yet) formulating a list, a long list from as many people as possible. Basically any idea that could improve Zek.

So the idea is to create a new thread and in that thread to list as many options or ideas us Zek players have that the devs could use as a reference.

At that pointing, having a list, my thinking is that we should expect to see something 1-2 years out, nothing in the short term. They are probably running their company with microsoft project or a similar workload software and their entire work force is already scheduled.

So our focus should be providing them with as many ideas as possible, and why those ideas are being requested. Given Zek's history and the patches we have gotten, although all together they are quite sizable, they did very little by themselves.

So, we wanna come up with a list for Zek, with a long range implementation plan. It's simply just impossible to expect something soon. It'd be more along the lines of what they did with Overseer. Probably wasn't a priority, it was more like a pet project and they rolled it out, and were excited to do so once it was working nearly perfectly. I think this is the smartest approach we could try working on in the future.

Who knows, maybe a dev has to take a poo here or there and has 5 minutes 20 different times, to, in their offtime work on some Zek/PvP stuffs over the course of a year or 2+. I think this would make a lot more sense considering all sides. I'm sure the company has work at home laptops, take lunch breaks, has employees come in earlier than their clock in time etc etc etc. Who knows, someone there might spend a considerable amount of time on some Zek stuff here and there, and given a year or 2+ those minutes add up.
  8. Cicelee Augur

I thought my wife was stubborn. And then I read posts and threads from Zek players. And I stand corrected.
    Deux, Gyurika Godofwar and Sissruukk like this.
  9. Ibudin Augur

How's the lag on Zek? Might be worth moving entire guild there to raid lol.
  10. KaldaryeRZ Greon's better half

The server is definitely not dead. It's very active and growing. I am never bored on Zek.

Kaldarye
    High Priestess
    Ascending Dawn
    Zek
    Sokon likes this.
  11. Sokon Augur

Ya I ended up taking about a month break and saw a noticeable rise in population after logging in the last few days. General chat has been over 80 or 90 the last few times I have logged in.

Looks like Kaldarye's guild here(one of the 2 main guilds on Zek) is downing 3 events each week - and working on 2 more - between the ToV and CoV expansions. They do alot of other previous expansion stuff as well, but 3 events in the 2 more recent expansions is pretty solid. They also have gotten several new members in the last month and more to come I have heard.

My guild, although I haven't played much this past month, has had it's numbers also increase, i think we were at 228 including alts and now are at 250, so that's atleast 1 new member, lol. People on Zek tend to have a lot of alts. Our guild CE has also beaten Zlandicar now, but we have only been raiding one night a week so it's not a ton of time invested in raiding, hoping to see us add another night, AsD does 3 raid nights.

Ask anyone on Zek and they will definitely tell you that right now is the most active the server has been in years.

Also level 85 pvp is a thing. Although the best recommendation might not be to move a main here, there is a good chance that you could have some fun with an alt here in either of the guilds, even if you don't want to PvP and I have seen several people level from 85 to 115 and aboout 30 k aas in less than a month's time here.

Great time to be on Zek and anything adds to the momentum we are seeing.

Now if I can just get those 20-30 other mains on the server to join one of the 2 raiding guilds...
    Niskin likes this.
  12. Sokon Augur

(Update, what's next... this thread is old! New one incoming soon!)

Hope this thread isn't too old(April 16th, 2021 last reply) so it's not considered necroing a thread.

Not looking for further discusssion on this thread. This thread was done and is pretty much over with collecting and serving it's purpose.

Replying here now just as a notification, for those interested or aware of it in the past and where it left off; basically saying that a new post/thread would be in the works and to expect it in the future.

We are working on that thread now, started just a few days ago. In the coming weeks after collecting feedback from several Zek players interested now or who participated in the past with this thread, we will be writing up a new thread between several of us.

You can expect a Zek Rising II!!! thread to be appearing on these forums some time in the next several weeks. We will be taking a lot more time with it this go around and multiple people, guilds, officers, PvPers, others not even on the server, etc etc etc will be involved in the drafting of that post.

Stay tuned! For now if you want to see updates about Zek, particularly the status of raiding on Zek feel free to visit the recruitment threads of either Chaotic Entry or Ascending Dawn. They can be found in the Guild Recruitment section of the forums.

Thanks!

P.S. Anyone else interested in participating in the drafting of such a thread, feel free to contact me on Discord at Sokon#6454 and we can chat
  13. Elemental Augur

Bump
    Zek Thriving, Chaotic Entry and Drip knocking out 5 raids in 2 nights
    Ascending Dawn doing some raids too
  14. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

Meh, tried it. Dead server.
    Duder and Celephane like this.
  15. Celephane Augur

thread is dead and stupid, just stop, please
    FawnTemplar, Tour, Ssdar and 2 others like this.
  16. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Why does it bother you that others enjoy things which you don't? It's a very small-minded approach to life.

The thread has a useful title. If you don't care, don't read the thread.
    Skuz likes this.
  17. Whulfgar Augur

What exactly is youre metric of "a lot" ?

What kind of number we talking here ? 100? 200? 500? 10000?

What is a lot to you?
  18. Whulfgar Augur

And with that number. Is it the majority of eq?
  19. Szilent Augur

read more closely. a lot of the people who want to go back to a functional pvp environment. not a lot "of players".
  20. Whulfgar Augur

Couldn't help but notice. You didnt answer a thing..

So quantify the term a lot.

As i have already asked.