My problem with melee dps being so dominant.

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Samithekittycat, Mar 7, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Samithekittycat New Member

Sigh.

Getting into a guild as a monk right now would be difficult to impossible. I also know nothing about pulling, and given the current climate of mmo's i'm going to be expected to know exactly how to pull everything the first night.

And since I need to repeat myself, a key part of my enjoyment is playing a class that is not braindead AND can top meters. No such class exists in this era.

Again, it's not that simple.

I also never said they need to be equal dps, I pointed out that the balance between casters and melee is a mess, which is a fact.
  2. Samithekittycat New Member

You're a guild leader of a long standing guild, try to keep in perspective that it's not so easy for 90% of us who have to join a new guild every tlp we play on, and hope we flip the coin into the right group for us.
  3. Samithekittycat New Member

But it isn't though.

I'm reminded of the time I spent 200 hours leveling a beastlord on phinigel during PoP, only for it to turn out to be a total meme in raids. Because I didn't do hours of research into balance problems.

The mindset of "Just play what you want" and then being ok with being a meme in raids is just utterly baffling to me. Frankly i'm jealous.
  4. WaitingforMoreEQ WaitingforTBC

Crazy that you mention Spell haste and running OOM in the same comment. How is spell haste relevant to DPS if you're mana gated? hello?

I didn't forget i didn't bother to mention everything. Cripple, other AC debuffs, whatever that stupid enchanter caster puma is called, Songblade, 2.0 clicks, auspice, guardian, zerker warcry ect ect. I've seen enough parses to know melee lose like 40%+ of it's DPS in the 70 expansions without any of the aDPS and casters lose like 10% without aDPS.

You should really swing a https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/spell.html?spell=1686 and learn how to actually play a caster sometime. It's pretty nice to have like 70 flowing thought from a weapon proc.

I don't limit it to "raid tasks" and it's definitely true.
  5. Karreck Somebody

Wizards can top meters. So can Necros. It varies from fight to fight based on resists, but they are quite strong in this era. Hell, melee dps varies on boss in and outs or bane weapons too. But Wizards and Necros are not braindead. Roll one of those. Hell, a great Shaman can get in the top five of a parse, roll on of those show how good of a player you are.

Also, you don't need to do hours of research to find a class. A five minute google search will suffice. I typed "Everquest top dps tlp" into Google and bam, numerous sites talking about Monks, Rangers, Wizards, and Necros. Some even mentioned Beserkers and Rogues. So if my only goal is to top the dps parse, I now know the classes I should pick from.

Or, play a class you enjoy and stop giving a damn about something so silly as DPS parse rankings.

So yes, it is that simple. You are purposefully making it complicated because you want your favored class to be top of the charts. It's the law of MMO's, some classes will always be higher dps than others. WoW never got the formula right, what makes you think EQ is going to?
  6. Samithekittycat New Member

A 20% or so at most dif between the top and bottom in wow sure is alot better than what we have here.

Researching how a class does through all the expansions is a longer process than a few minutes. I should of did it before playing that Bst, it was my own fault.

But my point is, I was "pLaYiNg wHaT i wAnT" in that example, and it turned out poorly, because of balance issues outside of my control.
  7. Samithekittycat New Member

Not what i'm hearing about the 9 months we're gonna spend at level 70. Do you want to be a meme for 9 months? I don't.
  8. Triconix Augur

He's considered one of the most knowledgeable wizards in the game you f***ing dunce. He's probably forgotten more about the game than you'll ever know. Maybe you should browse his history and realize who you are speaking with? I'll go as far to say he's had more direct contact with the devs and has had a larger hand in the development of the wizard class than you or anyone you can think of.
    Robnie likes this.
  9. KrakenReality Augur

[quote="Triconix, post: 4007546, member: 5432”] I'll go as far to say he's had more direct contact with the devs and has had a larger hand in the development of the wizard class than you or anyone you can think of.[/quote]

Man, I don’t know if I’d be trying to hype someone up by claiming they helped developed Wizzies into their current turd state.
  10. Beimeith Lord of the Game

I can't tell if you're joking or if you actually believe that.

It's possible to raise two separate points in the same comment, though if it's too hard for you to follow I can try and keep them separate.

I never suggested, anywhere, ever, that Wizards are more dependent on adps in the 70 era than melee. But to ignore the role of the adps we do rely on, as well as resists, which are *particularly bad in the 70 era*, and say that Wizards don't rely on anyone is being disingenuous.

I know what Theft of Thought procs are, thanks. Assuming you can even get one from VT, it's great to have, but by the L70 era (when it becomes available outside VT) it's not nearly as amazing as you seem to think.
  11. Beimeith Lord of the Game

While I appreciate the show of confidence and support, I wouldn't go so far as to say I had a hand in the class development. I'm just a player. I answer questions if they have them, report bugs/exploits, and offer suggestions, some of which they take and most of which they don't.

I didn't claim that, see above.
  12. WaitingforMoreEQ WaitingforTBC

I know who Hoth/Beimeith is. He played with me on Phinny and Selo i know he didn't create but maintains gamparse. I'm aware he has contact with the Devs after me and a couple of other people discovered a bug with MoTM on Selo he's the guy we used to contact them directly.

He's not a good player, he was extremely lazy and refused to do stuff to improve his DPS all while being very vocal and complaining how his class sucked. He was probably the second worst wizard AoS ever had. He would show up half AFK on raids not DPS the trash and then spam the same nuke over and over on boss fights.
  13. WaitingforMoreEQ WaitingforTBC

I never said or implied that wizards don't rely on anyone. I said.

"Also are you just gonna pretend that support classes don't exist and that Melee don't benefit significantly more from them?"

Melee benefit A LOT more from support classes in those eras. This is just a factual statement man.
  14. Machen New Member

If I were the lead EQ dev, no. Melee have been on top for most eq expansions for quite a few years. I'd have no problem with the pendulum swinging back the other direction for a while. There are still plenty of resistant mobs where melees will shine in the first few expansions. It'll force some decisions for raid leaders, whereas right now you basically just need to stack monks and have one of each caster class so the loot doesn't all rot.
    Skuz likes this.
  15. Machen New Member

As a guildleader, If I had a monk spot open, I'd take a monk that said "I have never pulled before and would love to learn if someone would teach me" in an instant. I'd reject the monk that said, "I'll never pull, because I'm going to be expected to know how to pull everythign the first night and I don't, so I'll never be able to learn. Let me be a punch rogue."
  16. Samithekittycat New Member

No one is going to ever say the second thing out loud, and I can only hope you're right about people being patient with people learning, although thats not my experience in this game and others lately.

It's part of the reason why I don't just go to mangler, which will be in TSS where caster balance is alot better soon. Just so much to learn and catch up on.
  17. Lejaun Augur

Sounds like a beast that didn't use all of their abilities. You should be crippling and slowing things before shamans can land the big ones. You should be spot healing during tank transitions or on rampage mobs. You should be healing/mana buffing the entire raid with MGB Paragon. You should be keeping the top DPS in that spot by keeping them buffed with attack. You should be chipping in with melee, DD, dot, and pet damage. You should be buffing before engagements, and also after if someone dies.

If people think you aren't making a difference and are just a "meme" to make fun of, then you probably weren't making much of a difference and should work harder.
  18. Lejaun Augur

You can get a pretty good idea of who the top guilds will be or what guilds have the attributes you like before the server even opens. You for sure know what is going to happen after a couple of weeks.

If you end up with a group you don't like, change guilds. Guilds, from the top to the bottom are almost always recruiting.

Also, maybe don't play on so many TLPs. Stick to one, find a guild you like and stay with them. If they move to a new TLP, go with them. If they stay, then stay.
    Gremin and Skuz like this.
  19. Lejaun Augur

Wrong. Getting into a guild as a monk is very simple, even if you state that you would prefer to just be a camp monk who doesn't pull.

Also, if you don't take the effort to try to pull, you will never learn.
  20. Samithekittycat New Member

Ya getting into a guild, which all have 8 monks already, is simple, /eyeroll. Done with this thread. Bunch of contrarian andies.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.