LDON 2.0 For a New Expansion.. I only wish...

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by hein, Mar 2, 2021.

1. Tweakfour17 Augur

The Buried Sea had diminishing returns on Orum based on how popular the task was.
    Tatanka likes this.
  2. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Thanks! Yes, it was TBS.
  3. Barraind Grumpy Old Bastage

I did at least 75% of my LDoN runs with a shaman healer, so gonna say thats a wee bit overblown.
    Elyssanda likes this.
  4. hein Augur

This all sounds good to me!
  5. hein Augur

Yeah, I think it would be just fine.
  6. Riou EQResource

This is the only part you will get :p
    Elyssanda likes this.
  7. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

So all underwater zones is okay then, message received.

Atlantis awaits! (Hmm wasn't Katta Castrum modelled on Atlantis already?)

I say bring back HA too, they were mostly pretty good.
  8. Elyssanda Bardbrain

My favorite run was 5 wizzies and me. no healer at all.. they all stayed about 3 rooms behind my pulls and I'd lead monsters to them, and fwwwooompp no more monsters.
  9. Nolrog Augur

I would love to see more HAs again. They were fun and pretty straight forward without any crazy mechanics that you see in the group missions now.
    Yinla, Skuz and Elyssanda like this.
  10. Act of Valor The Newest Member

I'd be fine with more heroic adventures so long as they aren't the center of the universe as far as gaining experience goes, like Gribbles.
    Skuz likes this.
  11. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Yeah I'm cool with that
  12. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

Maybe they could just axe the level scaling concept completely and use the HA mechanics to recreate LDoN style dungeons. Do it as one of the level-raising expansions. Have regular and hardcore. Then with each non-level raising expansion add a difficulty level so there is always a hardcore for the new expansion. Then when the next level-raising expansion comes out, they stop adding difficulty levels and leave that era behind.

If they follow the original LDoN model they won't have a Gribbles problem. And stopping at the next 5 levels fixes the CoTF with RoS scaling disaster.
    Fuelforfire, Skuz and Elyssanda like this.
  13. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

I did some LDoNs last night to get an alt some travelers achievements. Was still fun (watered down as I blew up the zone, but still). The zones were nice, lots of cool things that would pop up in several different layouts, the mob density and aggro radius made you actually have to have cc or mez or be able to tank many at once, especially on hard mode.

Also met so many different people being able to throw groups together. You learned who were good players and who were not, who were trustworthy, one of the highlights of that era was reputation mattered.
    Fuelforfire and Elyssanda like this.
  14. Fuelforfire Lorekeeper

I started my EQ life between LoY and LDoN and both carry big places in my heart! I loved LDoN and if people can't get items like the +10% Dodge augs then I still suggest getting the +8% Dodge aug (Icy Prism of Avoidance) from the EF camp.

Another nice thing is the Leader Board so you can see how people rank on your server. And not just overall rank but the percentage per camp. As for those that play when the content is/was current you could see how well that player did at different camps. Then you could plan on a general fun run or if it was going to be rough going before zoning into the Expedition. This form of competition is sadly missing from today's EQ.
    CatsPaws likes this.
  15. FrozenWater Augur

The leaderboard was the absolute worst. I would easily rate it as the worst ever feature of EQ. The thing is, only 1 part of the leaderboard was bad: it recorded your loses. It punished you for going out on a limb and having a crack with a random pick up group. It really drove a wedge into the group game if you cared about such things (and let's be real, it's a game, people are going to care).

More generally, I really didn't like LDoN. Constant crawling got old fast. Sometimes you just want to chill out somewhere static. Then GoD was hardcore and finally OoW was out and it was such a breath of fresh air.

For that reason CotF was fine, there was a mix of HAs and static content, and I really liked that. I was really disappointed when TDS came out and HAs were basically dead already. At least they existed, but compared to CotF HAs they were pretty bad.

So my opinion here: plz no "LDoN 2.0". Drop as many HAs as you care to, but keep open world / static content a thing too. Please.
    Elyssanda likes this.
  16. Qimble Augur

Healers maybe, but it seems like most guilds have plenty of tanks. ADPS classes seem to be the most in demand for recruitment these days.
  17. Zinth Augur

since everyone mention LDoN because of the mission based system... why don't you take a closer look at DoDH? It was mission based, various zones with different styles and chains to complete for spells etc. it worked well and back on live they were a blast... sadly I didn't really get to do them much on TLP (rushed timeline) overall DoDH had a more modern LDoN system, had rewards at the end (chests) had rewards randomly in the instances (namers, rare drops etc.) most people had reason to visit every mission... the cursor loot was a nice touch but it could be changed to something like "collect all 25 mission items and combine to make X augment" sorta like BiC where it increases as you do more and more... like do 5 missions to get the 5 drops for the first combine with useable stats, do that with all 5 chains... (5 augs...) then in the end when you have all 5 completed, combine them into the final augment... make it a slot 3 or 5 (could for example be an upgrade to the old slot 5 35AC aug from LDoN tanks use to this day) it combines the best from LDoN, GoD and DoDH into one. (ps. I am SICK of only really having 4 instanced missions... especially if you aren't uber you can't do em for the longest time... aka 3 chars + 3 mercs) give us STUFF to do... and not just super duper stupid rare namers in OW to "stretch" the content...
    Elyssanda likes this.