F2P and augs

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Scroterly, Mar 7, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scroterly New Member

Has any thought been given to opening up more augs to f2p players? The latest currently available are TBM. 5 expacs ago.
    Even EoK would be helpful.

I realize f2p isn't big on any priority list, but 4 expacs back doesn't seem an unreasonable request.
    Shurman and Joules_Bianchi like this.
  2. bobbin Elder

I agree. I don't have any FTP accounts but I would if the augs weren't so bad. The CoV FTP gear is pretty decent but I don't see how any FTP players could do any ToV/CoV content.
    Shurman likes this.
  3. Dythan Ban Lev in Plane of Fire guy

I believe the FTP model provides an excellent entry option to Everquest. Those wishing to partake in the more robust and fulfilling aspects of the game, can poney up some $.
    Cuuthbert, Thunderkiks, Duder and 3 others like this.
  4. Jumbur Improved Familiar

If it was me, then I would make every item/spell(including rk2/3) that is 10 levels below max, non-prestige and all higher items/spells, prestige. It is a much simpler rule, than having separate tags for each item.

It would even make it possible to have "FTP-raids" in EoK, and allow FTP-players a taste of raiding. :)
    Shurman and Fenthen like this.
  5. code-zero Augur

If you can't be bothered to do rudimentary research into what is a prestige aug and what isn't then you should start do something to go all access...
  6. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

I guess it depends on how you play, but I've found F2P to be worthless above level 65 or so.

Take your level 85 Heroic toon to House of Thule with that A5 merc and get your face kicked in, that's the real Everquest experience.
  7. Benito EQ player since 2001.

F2P is doable above 65 if you find an effective 2-box or, at the very least, 3-box. Pet class with pet tanking makes it easier imo.
    Skuz and code-zero like this.
  8. Benito EQ player since 2001.

EQ F2P is very generous for the MMORPG market.

WoW and FF14 F2Ps gives you only level 20 and level 60 cap limit, respectively. They are basically a tutorial.
    Duder and Grymjakk like this.
  9. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

Yeah, I think that's the key, the more you box the better it can work. And EQ's F2P is definitely the most generous by comparison. I just can't bring myself to live with the limitations so I end up subbing, which is fine, I expect to pay monthly for an MMO.
    code-zero and Benito like this.
  10. Deux Corpse Connoisseur

EQ F2P is overly generous...pay the sub if you want access to better options reward the company for the enjoyment you receive
  11. Jumbur Improved Familiar

So you guys don't think making low-level FTP raiding meaningful, would get us more full-access subscribers?

Trying out an open raid for the first time, could probably lure potential raiders to sub. Let them see what everquest has to offer...:)
  12. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

I love a bargain. And getting $5 back each month I am a paid subscription is well worth it alone. Its like only paying $10 a month for the game.

And the full loyalty reward each week with which I can buy bags of plat or other money is nice. I would imagine only getting 30 a week is a pain but F2P can't buy currency thru this anyway.

If my other accounts which are F2P don't have 100% of what the paid accounts have then that is fine. But they still raid.

Really what are players going to whine about after the augs?

<insert sarcasm here>
    You want to be able to buy a special item that will allow you to cast RK II, or to pay for one month and get all the AA of other paying players of the same level that have paid for way more than that 1 month, or all the Veteran Rewards as soon as you create your character?

I mean, really what should a f2p account have?
    code-zero likes this.
  13. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

I think it could have some potential, but it would need some things to happen before this idea itself could apply its potential. It could also pose some risk to the future of the game.

So for this to work, you'd need the people who showed up to be able to get to whatever level they need to be without too much effort. Like say each F2P account gets one free Heroic upgrade, and then the open raids could be done in Underfoot or House of Thule. Obviously somebody would have to be interested in leading open raids, and people would need to be filtered to one server to make sure there were enough bodies.

If an effort like that took place, I do think it could have the potential to do what you want. The question is where to advertise or publicize this effort to bring in these potential players? But that is a question for later.

The risk is that if everything less than 10 levels from the cap was F2P enabled, they could lose a lot of subs from people who don't feel like they need the sub at that point. People who need mercs couldn't, but groupers or boxes could. I think that's a bigger risk or at least more likely lose more subs than it eventually gains.

Alternately they could try a hybrid model. Heroic upgrades get changed to match the free expansion level. They could charge a one time fee to enable this, leaving them F2P but with a buy-in. That would enable later era raids and have them caught up faster. They would really need some kind of catch-up tutorial though, like a short, class-based and level relevant tutorial to get people up to speed.

Anything that would be well developed and guided would likely cost more than they could afford to implement, but if it seeds the game with more players who will stick around longer it could be worth it. Very risky though, it might not work and they would be stuck with lost efforts.

I like the idea, it just may be that EQ is long past the point where something like this is feasible. If for no other reason than they don't have the resources to take the risk.
    Jumbur likes this.
  14. Cragzop Cranky Wizard

As a long time paid player, I am against any additional increase of FTP power/privilege that comes from current development time and effort.

If FTP players want to convince EQ's new overlords that money spent to increase FTP power/access will result in increased revenue. And then new funds (not from EQ revenue stream) are allocated for the effort ... go for it.

But there's too much to be done for paying players in EQ (namely lag fixes) to entertain any (far-fetched) notion that making FTP lives better is a benefit to my paid accounts.

The road to current EQ issues are paved from missteps in allocation of revenue from EQ. I'd rather not continue to not learn from history.
    Elyssanda, Cuuthbert, Zynt and 3 others like this.
  15. Jumbur Improved Familiar

You are right that there are some practical problems with just make FTP level restricted, and allow them to equip low-level raidgear. But lets face it, raiding is a big part of EQ, and it is the one part you can't get a taste of as an FTP.
    The reason why I said level 105 rather than 85, Is that it still takes a (small) raid to beat level 105 targets. and having a few boxes at level 115 sporting 105 raidgear, is not good enough to make them practical in ToV/CoV. So "cheapskates" who wants to enjoy the latest expack would still have to pay up.
    It would be a gigantic nerf to max level FTP players, that there is no non-prestige gear for them at current expansions though, so that would make it a tough sell...

Level 105 would actually be the easiest level they could pick to make into a heroic upgrade, as they can skip itemizations completely. Just have the char spawn in plane of tranquility with the achievement "breaking the mirror" already completed and a pile of remnants, and let the player outfit his new naked char, with tier 1 gear.

As you mention, the biggest hurdle is that open raids just doesn't organize themselves, that would be up to the local server population. And what kind of raid-organizer would let a(or 30+) complete newbie(s), who "just started EQ yesterday", play a key-part in a raidforce...(well, it could still be fun...:p)
    Maybe if it was an already disciplined raid-force from another game that wanted to collectively try out EQ, and decided on a server beforehand...It would require advertising to reach that kind of target audience... And if it worked, Im positive that they wouldn't stay FTP for long...
    Fenthen likes this.
  16. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

Personally, I think it's utter horsepucks that "some" zonewide hot zone augs and faction merchant augs are "Prestige" It's just so unfriendly.

Yo, EQ, You're a GAME. Lighten up a bit huh?

We all are quite aware of All Acess and the persistent pressure is less sales pitch, than passive aggressiveness.
    I have never played ANY game that hijacks my browser to spam me as I exit the game as if spamming me IN COMBAT that I should upgrade isn't often enough.

Seriously, we GET IT.

Also, 5700 loyalty we earned is suddenly unusable if we lapsed an account.

Augs I fought, factioned for and won fair and square become unusable if an account lapses.

It's all so..

SPITEFUL really.

The constant nagging and prodding isn't convincing us to go all access. Alternate Advancemet abilities for example, that's a reason enough and motivates people.

Treating us like a_s_s because an account that has been all access overe a dacade lapsed doesn't engender good feelings toward EQ.
    Mendel and Shurman like this.
  17. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

also, more capable toons and players without all these prestige blocks would help a lot of guilds attain things. Also, more player engagement means more trips to the marketplace over time, no? Stop discouraging people and encourage play time more.

Case in point, our family has 4 accounts where more than half our gear is useless, so they CAN'T go farm enough PP fo Krono. They woulld be online and making purchases until generating enough PP for Krono. Instead we just don't play them anymore until we have the spare Krono from elsewhere.
    Shurman likes this.
  18. Gherig Addicted since Aug 1st, 1998

Someone has to pay for the game. Expanding F2P over and over is a poor business model. And frankly $15 a month is dirt cheap today.

I wager almost every single person who complains they cant afford EQ has eaten fast food at the VERY LEAST once a week in a month. That alone can buy you a 3 month EQ sub ... monthly. How many Cigarettes / Vape items did you buy, how much beer did you buy, how much weed did you buy in the same 30 days. How much candy, how many snacks, how much junk food? How many movies did you rent on demand? How much money did you spend without blinking an eye that did not directly keep you and your family alive, clothed and housed in the last 30 days?

The point being made is that most people who argue they cant afford $15 ... can actually pay for it, they just refuse too. Sure, there is always a portion of EQ and other MMORPG players who are truly in need and these games are an escape from the dire realities they are going through financially and mentally. But those are not the ones vocally demanding more and more free things.

$15 is a cheap entertainment cost and pays peoples paychecks who provide you with that cheap cost entertainment. "Suck it up Buttercup ... and Start Paying if you want More".
    Duder and Grymjakk like this.
  19. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

On live servers, it is quite common to play F2P to 110, the start all access, WHEN BUYING THE NEXT EXPANSION IS WORTH IT.

Selling new expansions is a direct function of how many characters / players can even use it.

Defiant Gear, Serpents Spine. autogranted AAs and so on are THERE TO ACCELLERATE LEVELING rather than force the "trudge both ways in the snow".

You people who don't get this are killing your own game. Stop barriers to attainability and more guilds will thrive. More expansion sales and more marketplace buys for toons that now really DO matter.

Short sighted sanctimony will not achieve this.
  20. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

Oh and I pay 6x all access already and have paid that many or more accounts in one way or six others since 1999. 2 of our lapsed accounds are Silver even. On the 6 live accounts, we have bought all sorts of stuff this year. The 4 accounts we don't log in have purchased zilch.

Money shaming people, or at least trying to only make you look poor as a person, not rich.

Many many many EQ players have health / social issues and life happens. If my friend's life goes sideways and goes to hell, why nag and badger?

Lighten up.

Buttercup.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.