I want a TLP where selling PL's is forbidden...

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Salte, Mar 2, 2021.

1. Xhartor Augur

Most PLer use Bard PB AE dots to kill the pack, because it's low effort and easy to keep the pack of mob off the bard. However a wizard will easily win a dps race against that bard on the pack. Do that a few times kill pack and they will leave.
  2. Machen New Member

No, they don't. Let's not go breaking mechanics that are useful and even necessary in some contexts because players misuse it in other areas. There are raids designed around mass ae stunning, and others designed around mezzing mobs for really long times.
    Gnothappening and Karreck like this.
  3. Gnothappening Augur

You are encouraging people to create fake reports to get other players suspended. All of this so you can what, not exp in The Deep because no real groups do?
  4. Fred_Bear Lorekeeper

Oh jesus Christmas....

"What we need is to nerf classes I don't like!" ~Karen
    Gnothappening and Solitude like this.
  5. Gnothappening Augur

The real problem are people who hate any other person playing in a way they don't approve. Most of the zones that AOE groups use are zones that nobody normally exp in. Guk and Sol A/B excluded. Personally I think AOE groups should avoid Guk and Sol A/B, but that is me.
  6. Febb Augur

Pulling an entire zone is zone disruption if other players in the zone are trying to kill in that zone. This is public knowledge and has been a rule for a very long time. If a GM catches you, you'll eat a suspension.
  7. Fluid Augur

Welp, just for the record, I did login to Aradune last night just to see what was going on. It was shockingly pleasant! Considering the reputation the place has, it was one of the better experiences I've had in game. Just logged in on a freshly level 18 Druid and immediately got an invite to group with a level 16 Ranger. We pretty much rocked everywhere we went mainly due to the Ranger because he had demigod level equipment and knew how it was done. I've mentioned before I twink my own characters and don't mind twinks in game at all, because one good twink in a group and everyone in the group benefits.

Later we added a Rogue to the group and were routinely taking on stuff 10 levels above us. Only things of significance my Druid had were the fore mentioned Serpentine Bracer<bought>, Polished Bone Hoop<looted off an Evil Eye> and Testament of Vanear<quested>. Made it to level 20.Quaffed a store bought Clarity potion as is my habit when in a group.

The situation was much improved in the EK Spider Silk area too: No high levels on autopilot, only a level 21 Ranger who was quite pleasant. I went to the Bazaar and /barter brought up a couple of players that were buying Spider Silk for 4pp/per. I had ~70 Silks on my character from previous jaunts there so up 280pp in case I need anything else, but reduced manna cost and affliction boost should be enough to make it to the 50s. It would be more convenient to have range & spell haste in there, just not critical. I did pick up a pair of Bear Hide Boots for Extended Enhancement focus. Got lucky and found two High Quality Bear Skins while looking for the Medium Quality Bear Skin for the quest. /barter again and another 80pp added to the kitty.

So anyway, sorry your favorite spots are occupado. It almost exactly defines the difference between subjective and objective in that I have always avoided crowds and well known dungeons so my home turf is pretty much just people that are independent and have an intimate knowledge of the game. I only go to your places if I have to and even then, as briefly as possible.

Now I've got to get back to Rizlona before my characters there start appearing on milk cartons.
  8. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

When did you last successfully get someone banned for PLing, 2003?
  9. TheTone Elder

I understand your frustration...but the truth is that this happens on every TLP once you get into Velious and Luclin because those zones go largely empty and AoE/DS plvlers swoop in. I'll be honest in that plvling my own alts is an aspect of EQ I really enjoy, so I would hate to see it go, but here's my thoughts anways.

As far as addressing game mechanics to try and prevent that type of plvling from working...it's actually quite difficult if you think it through. The Most popular method involves a L60 bard (or whoever) pulling the whole zone, letting the mobs beat on his hopped-up damage shield all while casting a single PBAoE from the EXP group and just letting the mobs die. Technically, the EXP group did like 10 damage from the PBAoE, and the bard did 0...because DS doesn't count towards your damage.

Now, obviously if you change it to make Damage Shields count towards that persons damage, you would just DS and heal the lowbie character and go to town...it would be even easier. Can't do this.

My first thought is to basically rid the game of damage shields all-together - or maybe make them exclusively for mages as a pet-only buff. If you're intent on stopping power-leveling, this will have maximal impact while removing an otherwise relatively minor feature of the game. Damage shields are effective damage/per/mana when used right, but seeing as though player power is off the charts right now, I'm sure it wouldn't break anything.

My second thought would be to change how damage shields work. I would make it such that the damage a mob takes from your DS is proportional to the level disparity between you and the mob, in some linear or exponential manner.

Say, for example, you have a couple spells stacked and have a 80-pt Damage shield, at L60. So, we can set the rules that any mob that strikes you receives a % of that 80-pt DS based on their relative level to you:
    • Dark Blue or Above - 100%
    • Light Blue - 50%
    • Green - 10%
    • Grey - 0%
    ---
    Now, I would temper this by saying that I really haven't thought this thru to its logical conclusion...but it doesn't seem to impact other arenas besides Plvling.
    ---
    In conclusion, plvling like this only really occurs once a high ZEM zone becomes abandoned. It's capitalism, baby. You typically can't AoE plvl in Unrest during classic because there's hardly any mobs up to grab. Once Luclin pops, and everyone is L60 and mindlessly grinding away their First Aid AA in Grieg's End, suddenly, all the lowbie dungeons from classic are wide open for the taking.
    My fix to this would be to make outdoor zones useful again. Let the community spread out. When I get 1.5% exp per kill in Unrest but only 0.3% for the same kill in (most) outdoor zones, it makes no sense to even fight there.
    Bring back the Burning Woods ZEM from Ragefire!!
  10. AoEBox Elder

You sound like a disgruntled player who went to some of the most popular zones to level in hopes of being able to power house through to the next location.
    I would bet if you would have reached out to the PLer they would have likely invited you to the group if they were not full , the benefit of having a 6 man group increases DPS and experience overall which in my experience means the Pler has less overall work to do.
  11. Febb Augur

Love to see people who pull entire zones eat a suspension. These zones aren't you personal play ground to do whatever you want with them, either play nicely with others or eat a suspension.
  12. AoEBox Elder

These zones are 100% a playground for whoever pulls the NPC first and does the most damage.
    DPS RACE WINS ALL.

If you cannot compete and out DPS a lowbie character I would recommend moving locations, Which is what you would have had to do in era if you were leveling in any of these zones because the people who were getting the good exp were the ones PULLING the zone not just a camp.
  13. Fluid Augur

There are at least two types of power levelers: Those that are gregarious and those whose only concern in game is making rent. I've run into the latter types. I needed an infrequent lore item drop from a MOB in an area they were pretty much pulling ~1/3 the zone so I asked. They had the floor of the room they were pulling to ~1/3rd of the way stacked to the ceiling with dead MOBs and kept them all on Advanced Looting so no one could loot them. They told me I would have to pay them cash, not pp, to loot the item. Didn't really stop me from getting the item and finishing the quest as there was a single spawn to hell and gone from that area where I spent some time and got lucky. There aren't a lot of these types, but they do exist in game.

*BUT* yeah to your comment about "power house through levels." Few but still significant level of players who just want to go to the nearest convenient area and be added to a group where they just sit on their hands while the other players do all the heavy lifting. This just isn't going to happen on a TLP server past ~the first month of introduction. A person who expects this has already missed the boat, that train has left the station, ...
  14. Stune Augur

I want a TLP where Krono is not allowed, other then self claimed. Krono bring out the worst in people.
    Brunlin likes this.
  15. Lejaun Augur

The only thing that happens is that transactions become for platinum instead, which will be bought and sold like Krono.
  16. WaitingforMoreEQ WaitingforTBC

How to get someone banned for AoEing

Step 1. Send the groups pullers tells letting them know politely that you're going to be killing a mob in their pull path
    Step 2. Wait for the respawn and begin fighting mobs in their pull path.
    Step 3. Report/petition the events with a video recordings.
    Step 4. Profit

They don't even need to be jerks that are training you. You can do this to people in rival guilds or people that you don't like when they're AoEing the the Deep.

Have fun Rizlona and Aradune!
  17. TLP Addict Augur

I would like to see a server where selling loot rights to no trade items is not allowed. Not gonna happen though.
  18. Machen New Member

Doubtful. It was legal to afk in 2003! I bet you could get someone pretty easily today though with the current afk checks.
  19. sumnayin Augur

For me it isn't the selling of PLs, it is the fact that 99% of the people that sell PLs is breaking terms of service by 4+ boxing and when you record them and petition, nothing happens even though you can clearly see they are clearly 1 person playing all of the toons. Also, the fact that if you know any of these people...you know that they RMT krono/characters
  20. Xoner Baby Joesph Sayer

I want a TLP where everything is forbidden. It could be a completely non-adventuring server. Nobody is allowed to level. You must stay in your home city as an everyday citizen. No leveling. Nobody is allowed gear with stats (if you’re wearing gear with stats, it indicates that you’re intending to adventure, which can get you suspended or banned). Tradeskills are allowed since you can do them without facilitating adventuring. You may only travel as far as the local newbie yard to get tradeskill mats. You’re not allowed to craft any armor or weapons with stats. (Stats only cause divisiveness anyway)