ToV Experience

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Accipiter, Mar 3, 2021.

1. Accipiter Old Timer

I haven't been playing all that much since ToV released on Phinny. It seems experience in open zones is pretty bad. I thought I read somewhere that there was a paradigm shift and the experience in missions is much better than open world. Can anyone enlighten me? Do you have favorite missions for XP? Thanks in advance.
  2. KrakenReality Augur

The experience is hidden behind the one-time achievements and best if you claim those later at 112-114. Mob regular experience is pretty bad. Could you post the current rates you’re seeing on Phinny?
    Gyurika Godofwar and Accipiter like this.
  3. Accipiter Old Timer

Looks to be .1% per mob in Eastern Wastes.
  4. Tankkin Journeyman

Do the short progression in ToV and you'll make 115 in no time
  5. KrakenReality Augur

Follow-up questions:

What level are you?
    How many in group?
  6. Riou EQResource

/overseer it gives a ton of EXP compared to real content at modern levels
    Gyurika Godofwar, Fanra and Metanis like this.
  7. Accipiter Old Timer

Level 111. Five in group plus one merc.
  8. Accipiter Old Timer

I have ignored Overseer because I think it's a dumb addition to the game. My loss? Yes, but I can't be bothered.
    Goburs and Duder like this.
  9. KrakenReality Augur

It gets worse at 113-114, you’re going to be in ~0.05% range in EW and GD. People tried to argue for an increase, but for whatever reason people seem to think that 0.05% is an acceptable amount. There was the Ada mission in EW that gave out like 2% on launch that got nerfed into the ground, because 2% experience on a 6 hour lockout was just too much of a reward.

Yeah, it’s dumb and it sucks but the missions will reward more experience than you’ll get from a lesson burn.
    Andarriel likes this.
  10. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

100% true if your not doing overseer your missing out.

Andarriel
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  11. Act of Valor The Newest Member

You're crippling yourself if you aren't using Overseer. It's like a rogue choosing not to use two weapons because they can't be bothered.
  12. Jokskilove Palzerker

There's also collectibles that give 2% regular xp per completed set for many expansions.

It's true that killing mobs is a tough way to level to 115, compared to doing the ToV progression. But the aaxp from killing stuff in ToV is just fine - especially for pallies. I still do most of my lesson burns in Great Divide.
  13. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

When I messed with it, it was like 3% experience total for five 12 hour missions. I could be doing it wrong, but that is hardly crippling.
  14. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Were you doing max level missions? Since you mention just "messing" with it, I assume not.

Once you have them at level 5 missions (which doesn't actually take that long if you concentrate on one group of missions, like diplomacy/exploration/trade, and if you're all-access and can do 5 at a time) you should see 6-7% XP for every set of 5 12 hour missions. That's 12-14% of a level per day, if you're good about setting up the new ones on time.

It's especially nice for someone like me who can't necessarily play every day. I can make time to log in for 10 minutes and do Overseer, and before you know it, I've leveled. It's one of the best features they've added for casuals.

Not to mention the collectibles option, so I don't have to go back to zones I don't care about, just because I need a few more collectibles to complete a set.
    Gyurika Godofwar and Tarvas like this.
  15. Darchon_Xegony Augur

Yea Overseer is pretty critical to have once you get to level 111+.

Doing every quest and mission in ToV once gets you only to around 114.5~ Those last 50% need to come from other sources and all the repeatable sources max at maybe 1% exp from a mission. However with Overseer every 12h mission at level 5 is 1% exp. Meaning you can get 5-7% XP every cycle.
  16. Bazuker New Member

In my opinion, ToV expansion gives a very nice playing goals to any character. 7 steps of Earring of Rallos Zek would keep anybody busy for a while. Just to get through step 6 it would definitely level up a character to lvl 115 with plenty of AA's.
    And why not ? The absolutely best earring in the game with 3 unique focus effects (come from Accolate's augs type 18) on top of raid-level innate focus is well worth the effort. To progress to step 6 it also requires ToV Paragon, Champion and Scavenger achievements, which would make a toon to lvl 114+ by themselves. And to evolve the earring for next steps it takes 4-5K mob kills overall, which even at 0.05% exp per kill will definitely ding to 115 with experience to spare.
    Just be ambitious, set the goal of getting step 6+ of Rallos Zek earring and by the time you reach it the character will be maxxed or close to it.
  17. GoneFission Augur

The xp in ToV isn’t bad (the AAs fly), but the 110+ levels are huge, so the per-kill gain is small measured in %. Overseer bypasses that by giving a flat % of level per task. During experience bonuses, that gain is very large. Overseer also boosts the merc AA gains at 110+ as well because of the amount of XP it takes to move the player 1 to 2% each task.

Doing the mercenary, partisan, and missions give large XP boosts the first time you do them, but only to regular XP, not AAs. At 115, I got some 5 mercenary AAs for completing the mercenary quests in Eastern Wastes. Based on Overseer conversions, that would have been 5 to 10 % of level if I were still leveling.

Your best bets for ToV leveling is Overseer and progression quests.
  18. Accipiter Old Timer

19. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

3% reg XP at 115 for 60 seconds of clicking is game-breakingly good XP. Yes, you wait 12 hours for the payoff, but if your advice is, 'meh, take it or leave it - it's not that great' you are on the wrong side of history.
  20. Riou EQResource

next expansion will be interesting to see