Anniversary Promotions

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by KrakenReality, Feb 26, 2021.

1. Benito EQ player since 2001.

It is only greater by 2 percentage points from DCUO.

My honest opinion? I believe EQ1 is severely subsidizing EQ2. They get as much expansion content and support as EQ1 with lower pop and revenue. Though, both games share resources (art, ops, CS, QA, management).

It makes it all the more egregious that some EQ2 players continue to expect Gold Standard service on their game. (Check out the negativity on the EQ2 forums).

Does this mean that I should die on this hill? No.
  2. Svann2 The Magnificent

If an illusion and old content is all we are getting I might just sleeper right through it.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  3. Filter Augur

Kraken speaks the truth...
  4. KrakenReality Augur

Would you like to go back and amend this post? You just agree with my point that extra contributions are not guaranteed to be reinvested into EQ1.

5. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Would you also like to amend your initial observation before our bruised egos hurtle into outer space?

If I look at it from a EQ1-centric perspective, I see some use for EQ2 if it acts as a firebreak/firewall (first to be cut) for EQ1. There is also wisdom maintaining the shared resources (art, ops, CS, QA, management).
  6. KrakenReality Augur

No, not at all. It's how corporate America functions.
  7. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Yes, the gaming industry is a making-money enterprise within the framework of capitalist America. If you think games like Pantheon or Ashes of Creation will be any more virtuous or some free-love utopia, think again. (EG7 is based in Sweden so left-leaning folks can hope for more social responsibility and equity).

Am I going to die on the hill over EQ1's $11.5 million against the injustice of the rest of capitalist America (e.g. ExxonMobil, Facebook, Tesla, Apple, Amazon, Wal-Mart)? No. If I were worried about my money and EQ, I'd simply walk away.

I do hope that you do not shop at Wal-Mart with your idealism.
  8. Saelemdar Journeyman

That would require them to do work, so no
  9. Riou EQResource

I think its been on their list for quite awhile, but it takes a lot of Dev time to update them

It is not an illusion, there is also at least 1 anniversary new quest and the 1/3 of the player requested ornamentations will be on the anniversary vendors
    Leerah and Gyurika Godofwar like this.
  10. Zamiam Augur

sad panda :( I was hoping for an illusion .. guess i'll save some money this anniversary ..
  11. Conq Augur

You can request the Magically Delicious quest and use that NPC to port you to outside Dreadspire Keep for your turnins of the pudding.
    Conq
    Flatchy likes this.
  12. Flatchy Court Jester

Great ! Thank you very much for that helpful tip!
    Gyurika Godofwar and OldCa61 like this.
  13. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

What money? Not sure any of the anniversary content has a charge of real life money.

Although I can almost promise that any thing you buy with commemorative coins will be out of reach unless your a glutton for punishment and repeat the mission until your toes fall off. Times 100 more.
    Gyurika Godofwar and OldCa61 like this.
  14. stevensg New Member

The current status of EQ is kind of torn between F2P model and subscription model and it seems they don't have a clear vision of it. For subscription model it offers too little compared to other subscription model MMOs such as WOW or FF14. For F2P it also offers too little compared to other F2P games (mostly mobile these days): not enough unlockers and the P2W part is just not properly implemented.
    Leerah likes this.
  15. Benito EQ player since 2001.

I have to respectfully disagree.

I think EQ1 and - to a lesser extent, EQ2 - have the right balance. F2P is actually quite generous on EQ1 and EQ2. If you buy the current expansion, you can play in current content (probably not comfortably solo, however).

If you look at WoW and FF14, their F2P are capped at level 20 and level 60, respectively. If you mean WoW and FF14 subscription models letting you actually play their games as "offering more", then you have it the wrong way.

If you are suggesting adding more P2W (Pay to Win), nearly everyone hates that idea. Who wants EQ1 to turn into a RMT mobile game scheme (e.g. FarmVille, Candy Crush)?

The only feasible route I can see EQ1 and EQ2 change their monetization models would be more towards limited edition (once-in-a-lifetime) cosmetic bundles or even cosmetic-centric Battle Passes/Season Passes.

Edit: The EQ1 monetization model is peculiar because I believe a lot of the revenue comes from multi-boxing (each player is paying for multiple memberships or redeeming lots of Krono). Whereas, in WoW and other MMORPGs, boxing is frowned upon.
    Coagagin likes this.
  16. stevensg New Member

I never treat WOW or FF14 as F2P games, as they are designed as subscription based and will remain that way. Their F2P modes are more like tutorials. However I do think they offer more if you subscribe their game (cross server group & raid, PVP, etc) and in FF14 you can play all classes without worrying about character slots. In live EQ if you are not raiding then sorry I don't think there's much point of subscribing.

As for the F2P model, I probably should have used the word 'in-game purchase' or straight up 'lootbox' instead of P2W (heroic character is already a form of P2W though). There are tons of F2P games on the market fully playable and have microtransactions not affecting the gameplay. Candy crush and FarmVille do not represent today's mobile game to be honest. If you want to check how modern F2P mobile game works, check call of duty mobile (pvp), arena of valor (pvp), genshin impact (pve), etc.
  17. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Let's see:
    J5 mercs
    Prestige gear
    Rank 2 spells
    More character slots
    More Overseer quests
    More active quests
    The ability to actually get AAs

That's quite a bit.

And, since you like to play EQ, and it's continued existence depends on people subbing, you should be glad that people don't agree. Do you really think most people who sub are raiders?
  18. stevensg New Member

You are comparing apples and oranges. What I mean is that the content and the service this game offers no longer justifies monthly subscription compared to other MMOs with a subscription model. Sure 120$ per year is no sweat but subbing other MMOs (WOW / FF14) isn't expensive either. Hack if DBG thought their service well worth 14$ a month they wouldn't have gone with F2P in the first place.

Then you are comparing what an all-access member can do with a F2P account. I mean isn't it supposed to be this way? Otherwise what is the point to have all-access & kronos? Actually I would argue that a F2P pet class with 1-2 kronos can do most of the things an all-access account can do group content wise.

I view a game as a content provider which serves its customer not some kind of charity organization which relies on members' support, and I do not believe the content & service they bring up on live servers worth it for non-raiders.I suppose TLP is probably the main income source of EQ now as I did forget that playing TLP actually requires subbing.

Besides, going F2P doesn't mean going out of business. The highest grossing games these days are all F2P and not all of them rely on P2W PVP.
  19. Orbital101 Augur

20. Gyurika Godofwar Augur

That's pretty nice.