AFK Checks

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by jack of all trades, Feb 16, 2021.

1. Gnothappening Augur

The point was that a lot of things people use could be considered third party and cheating under the intentionally vague guidelines we are given.

Glad your suspension was lifted, or did the time just run out?
  2. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I never said anything of the sort.

The point of the Original post was made, repeated & then a bunch of folks went off topic, that's fairly typical of most posts on most forums, there really isn't much left to cover & if Dreamweaver came along & locked the thread it would still have served its purpose.

The rules around being AFK are not vague, they are at least in my opinion perfectly adequate and simple, people are or should be pretty aware by now that if you are playing on any server you should have a separate "say" window and to expect a GM to randomly show up & check if you are playing by the rules.

If players are "weaponising" that knowledge and reporting other players & successfully getting them suspended then clearly they need to adapt to that because whining about how the GM operate is unlikely to get you very far - GM policies & procedures are set by the company, individual GM are expected to follow those & do, but I am sure the feedback about how they do their jobs will be passed along.
  3. Jumbur Improved Familiar

I do agree that their method is rather backwards though. Not answering tells and ignoring /say, is not against the EULA in any way.

I haven't experienced it myself yet, but I do hope that if Im "tested", that they are very obvious about it.
    If a /say comment is combined with the GM standing in my face with a giant wacky illusion, then I have a much better chance to not miss it. I hope they take that into account.

I would probably notice it right away, if they used the "free hugs"-method...:)
    (unless I was alt-tabbing while waiting for spawns...)
    Leerah likes this.
  4. fakenames Journeyman

you on rizlona? if so go to sg at literally any time of day and there is exactly 3 picks with 18 in each. the people getting hit on riz arent the dudes pumping a 100k+ of plat a day into the economy while afk. they are people who either went afk in a contested camp. who deserve the free vacation anyways or people who got targeted because they pissed someone off and dont know you need a say window.

no one is saying afk botters getting their vacation / ban isnt deserved they are saying that say and <1min to respond arent reasonible. send me a tell so i can see the window flashing and give me like 2mins to respond thats all i want.
    Leerah likes this.
  5. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

There is a reason that GM are not using tells, and that is that GM used to send tells but the botters / automaters adapted & have reply scripts set up to handle that, the GMs know that, the botters / automaters will also eventually adapt to GM using /say too, if they haven't already.
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  6. Machen New Member

The ironic thing is that the guys that they are trying to stymie here are just as likely to have something set up to respond to /say, while the average player who is actually playing will not.
    Leerah and yerm like this.
  7. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Oh for sure, but policies have never kept pace.

It's kind of similar to how anything legal is always months, years or in some cases decades behind what is actually going on in the present.
    Echoe likes this.
  8. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

It's so much easier to automate 'responding' to /tells. Because of the /R command you can spam out text to /r proactively. If nobody has sent you a tell, it does nothing, nobody hears you say anything.

If you're spamming out text to /say, well, you sound pretty crazy to anyone passing by.

So you're resigned to coding an actual response to something occurring, rather than just constantly /replying to nothing and waiting for a valid tell.

But that's too hard. I'm sure it's possible to code a solution that would at least say random things from a list of things to say. Or even respond in a rudimentary way to keywords in the /say (much harder still).

But my favored solution now is...
    /w
    IF woebot in zone
    /camp desktop
    ;)
    *edit*
    Oh oops, can they be completely invisible, not even showing on /who? hmmm, I may have to rethink that.
    Fenthen likes this.
  9. Gnothappening Augur

I just find it hard to believe that the people who 24/7 afk farm in SG on Riz or those that run entire raid forces on Aradune can't be caught. Meanwhile, we have everyday Joe who goes to take a dump while at a popular camp gets a week off, despite stopping all activities while afk. Someone running a raid force on Rizlona is 100% possible, two people running an entire raid force on Aradune is not. At this point I would prefer they just kill the enhanced GM forces and call the experiment a failure, because things aren't getting applied evenly. We seem to have too many false positives and no action on the actual cheaters.

To be clear though, I think that the majority of issues with false positives has to do with the playerbase. I think the GM /petition system is being abused so that people can get the camps they want and the person getting the camp doesn't care if he griefs another player with a week off. That is always the issue with any system where players can report another player without penalty. If they did a three strike program where, after three false reports, you get the week off, this might change, but that isn't easy to implement either. As for how the actual cheaters get by, no clue.
  10. Kobra Augur

I can't believe this thread hasn't been locked yet.

Have you guys tried not cheating?

I will admit one time I used an afk bot in wow classic to grind AV faction because I didn't find the game fun to play. They did me a favor and suspended my account for 6 months. I didn't cry on the forums about it. I took my suspension like a man and I don't play that game any more.

Stop cheating and you won't have an issue.
  11. Gnothappening Augur

That isn't the case. That isn't what most of the people are posting about. People are complaining about going afk, while not doing anything, and coming back to a seven day vacation, all because someone wanted the camp and knew they couldn't out dps them. More than anything, I think the thread is about players using GMs and the petitioning system to grief other players and take their camps.
    Leerah likes this.
  12. Machen New Member

Yeah, that's not going to do it for you. Not only can they be invisible, but if you respond to an afk check by camping, they are gonna suspend you for sure.
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  13. Leerah Augur

Exactly the point, the weaponizing of the petition system.

code-zero likes this.
  14. Accipiter Old Timer

A distinction without a difference.
  15. Fenthen aka Rath

That dude is the worst. Just suspends people without even a /tell or /say message, is what I've been told. And responding to petitions gets you nowhere. It's like GMs have different scripts for responding, and getting Woebot means you're SOL with your ticket, but anyone else and you can probably get something resolved.
  16. Bullsnooze Augur

These people are full of bologna and you know it.
  17. Gnothappening Augur

No I don't. Especially since people have posted suspensions where they were caught bypassing truebox on Rizlona.
  18. Siah Elder

[IMG]Just gunna leave this right here. No, this isn't me.
    Gnothappening likes this.
  19. jeskola pheerie

To be fair, DBG did respond to that particular screenshot:

[IMG]
    Siah likes this.
  20. Machen New Member

True, but it did actually happen even if it happened a while ago. And DW did have to walk back the "No one has actually been suspended on Rizlona for Truebox violations." $aytonic was actually suspended, then have it overturned on appeal.