LDON 2.0 For a New Expansion.. I only wish...

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by hein, Mar 2, 2021.

1. hein Augur

When I think back to some of the most fun I had in the game, aside from classic, I think of PoP and LDON. I'm not expecting a PoP style, with the exceptional music, planer raids, trials, flagging and ect.. I understand that the budget for that isn't there, but what about LDON?

What I loved about LDON, other than the attractive dungeons and lore, was that it was accessible by just about all levels. I believe starting at level 20 you could jump in, easily find a group and start collecting exp, reward points and drops. Classes also felt needed. I always loved when we had a Pally that could paci pull. You needed Enchanters for CC and ect.. I would like to see a LDON 2.0, that caters to most level groups, where there is actually some attention to detail when making the dungeons, music, and reward system.

I hope no one points to the HA's. Those are hideous and very cookie cutter imho. I find them extremely boring. I would also recommend, not allowing mercs into the dungeons. Let classes like the Cleric have a purpose in group content again. Incentivize community for crying out loud, this is EverQuest after all, not your modern solo MMO.

We've all seen the reports from the recent sale and now know that EQ brings in approximately 1 Million per month and that its operating cost are very low. It's still a cash cow. Can we get a meaningful expansion that isn't just a handful of zone catered to max leveled raiders? Can we get a fully loaded expansion again? Dare I say, take a note from WoW's book and dial back the max level to like 60 and bring back players who might find the idea of going to 115 or higher a bit daunting? Not to mention the convoluted AA system.

As someone who has played since Kunark launch, and has read the forums for 20 years, I realize I'm going to be ridiculed for such suggestions. Have at it..
  2. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

One of the devs once said there would never be another LDON due to the mechanics of that feature. That the design was terrible and could not be replicated.
  3. hein Augur

They can't create dungeon instances, a reward system, and mobs and loot based on group level? Then it might be time to pull the plug and cancel the game. Those are pretty basic mechanics.
    Alena and Andarriel like this.
  4. Jumbur Improved Familiar

I actually think CotF was meant to be "LDON 2". The HA system had a lot of similarities with the old ldon concept. The only difference is that they focused on outdoor zones rather than the traditional dungeon-crawl.

I would like a cool linear dungeon crawl though, Too many of the missions is just a copy of a raidfight nowadays...

Im not aware what WOW did with levelling. :confused: But they could make lowbie quest give massive xp-rewards to help people catching up. And imo the AA-system is one of the strengths of EQ! Back when I revisited WOW-classic there were a lot of posts where people wanted WOW to copy EQ's AA-system...The grass is always greener on the other side...:p

Or they could introduce an improved shroud system, where you get to play a "downscaled" version of yourself. if you have lowbie friends...:)
    Qimble and Elyssanda like this.
  5. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

6. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

I believe he was saying that they can't add new LDoN dungeons for levels that don't exist now, like 66+. Or new dungeon types period. But Jumbur is right, CoTF is pretty close to what LDoN was. They could use the CoTF system to make an LDoN 2.0 if they wanted to try to do something that was similar in spirit.

One caveat to that, they need to fix the level scaling on CoTF HA's before they try to reuse it. HA's being harder to run at higher character levels is bad. Being the same level of difficulty at any character level is the desired design.
    minimind and Jumbur like this.
  7. Elyssanda Bardbrain

So an LDON/COTF line, but as dungeons or near dungeons, have some with open areas where people who need mounts don't totally hate the idea of doing the missions because since it's open to the heavens it technically counts as outdoors..
  8. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

I have to HA at this after reading the responses! :D
    Jumbur likes this.
  9. hein Augur

Yeah, I also found that the zones themselves, such as the Flippy one, was really poorly designed. It didn't have the beauty and wonder as some of those LDON's as an example. The boss fights are also a snooze fest, or they are way to hard for the level. I don't feel drawn in, it just feels like they copied and pasted a few things together and said "here's an instance, now pay us money."
  10. KrakenReality Augur

LDON > PoP

I hated PoP. I felt like I was constantly trying to flag people for content that I never got to spend much time playing. It was such a pain. PoP is only remembered so fondly because it’s the hardcore crowd that’s left, but my casual guild and friends hated it. It was broken, and didn’t get fixed until after GoD launched.
  11. hein Augur

I mostly experienced it from a group content perspective. I also felt like the content, zones, loot, music and ect.. drew me into the game. I didn't really raid much, so I have a different feeling about it then maybe someone who was in a raid guild during that era.
  12. Febb Augur

PoP had a terrible flagging system. Hailing a seer and trying to figure out what flagging you had done is still a giant mess.
    Elyssanda likes this.
  13. Svann2 The Magnificent

Dont need to have the scaling level range if thats the issue.
    LDONs were fun missions that you could repeat all day long if you wanted.
    Fuelforfire and Elyssanda like this.
  14. Evye Augur

Loved LDON.
    Even if they just put a ranking system on Normal old group missions i think it would be super cool.
    Elyssanda likes this.
  15. Act of Valor The Newest Member

:rolleyes: Yes, since we can't recreate your perfect expansion, let us close the entire game down. That is silly.
  16. Malbro Augur

Not only no, but HELL no!!
  17. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Ldon was my favorite expanison could get group within 5 mins everynight. What made ldons fun is you could really mix and match classes and still get by.

Andarriel
  18. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

The con range change at the beginning in combination with locked zones made it a horror for non-raiders, until LDoN came along and let people gear up.
  19. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

LDoN was great because it was simple. You have regular missions that any group of random people could do, and you had "hard" missions that actually took some effort unless you were geared out in max raid gear. You had easy access to every camp via the magus, you had a LFG tool people actually used, and it was perfect in that it was easy bites of playtime.

So you logged on, got or made a group quickly, went in and finished, and could log off. And you accrued points to use towards rewards non-raiders couldn't really get elsewhere. It was a perfect non-raiding recipe.
  20. Svann2 The Magnificent

ldons were just awesome for pulling.
    Fuelforfire, minimind and Elyssanda like this.