New router, way slower zoning

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Sissruukk, Mar 2, 2021.

1. Sissruukk Rogue One

I recently bought a Nighthawk XR1000 Pro Gaming Router (not for EQ, for other games my sons play). When I first set up the router, my load times actually went faster than they did on my old router (TP-Link AC1750). However, now that I have been on the Nighthawk a few days, my zoning has significantly slowed. What used to take me max 30 seconds to zone is now taking well over a minute. Zoning into the guild hall takes over two minutes. I reset the router, rebooted my PC, etc. My PC config includes a SSD drive and 16GB RAM. My in-game ping meter in game goes from anywhere between 73-87ms. I also had no traffic on my network during testing the zoning times (I turned off the wireless).

Does anyone have any advice on what I might need to do to correct this issue?
  2. Febb Augur

3. Sissruukk Rogue One

UPnP was already enabled by default. Should I adjust the settings for it?
  4. Soulbanshee Augur

Turn of QoS, it doesn't do anything helpful once your ISP over like 200-300 Mbps or so.

Does it have the built in security turned on (Netgear Armor or something like that, Bitdefender)? Does it have parental controls (or Disney Circle) enabled?
    minimind likes this.
  5. Metanis Bad Company

Check for firmware updates.
    minimind likes this.
  6. Febb Augur

Check the router logging to see if it's dropping connections to any eq ip's. Also check your dbg.txt logging in your eq logs directory to see what it's doing while you are zoning.
  7. Sissruukk Rogue One

Updated. Still having problems.
  8. Sissruukk Rogue One

QoS (Congestion Control) is set to off.
    Parental controls disabled.
    It has Netgear Armor set up on it. My sons are stating that they are seeing no lag on their games.
  9. Metanis Bad Company

What happens if you hook the old router back up?
    Svann2 likes this.
  10. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

seems to be a common problem on the Nighthawk XR1000 Pro Gaming Router troubleshooting pages.

They suggest putting in your old mac id off the old one
  11. Sissruukk Rogue One

I don't think I am seeing anything dropping from EQ's IPs.
    And I am not sure what to look for in the dbg log file.
  12. Sissruukk Rogue One

Old router MAC id? Can you provide a link to the article so I can read up on it?
  13. Metanis Bad Company

Can use a VPN to troubleshoot. Can also experiment with a slightly lower MTU than 1500.
  14. Svann2 The Magnificent

eq has been having issues lately
  15. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

16. Sissruukk Rogue One

Ok, I tried to set the router's MAC to my previous one. The ISP wouldn't hand me an address, even when I set it back to use the new router's MAC. I had to do a system restore, and it still won't hook up the new router now with an IP address.

For now, I went back to the TP-Link, and am speeding through zone-lines again. I will have to work on the other router later when I am not working.
  17. Soulbanshee Augur

Setting MAC like that's only the handshake between the router and the ISP, for cable ISPs most of the time just rebooting the modem will clear the MAC of the previous router to allow you to change to swap it out. That thread pointed out above is only about not getting an IP/Internet from the ISP the first time it is hooked up (which rebooting the modem should clear).

Disable Netgear Armor, this is active packet inspection but consumer routers are super bad about extra processing on the hardware and it's going to slow everything down (it's also possible that your son's game are modern and have Armor support for lag free experience that EQ won't have). As long as you are running AV and malware on your computers you'll be fine without it.
    https://kb.netgear.com/000059435/What-features-does-NETGEAR-Armor-offer

What is your setup, is the Netgear/TP-Link connected to an ISP modem, an ISP modem/router combo, or a self-purchased modem?
  18. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

If your router is your connection point with your ISP (in other words, if your modem is also your router), they may use the MAC address to grant access. So you don't want to change that. Unless you want to contact them and give them the new MAC address for them to update their record.
  19. Sissruukk Rogue One

They are routers connected to the ISP modem. I did a reboot of the modem (left it off for a good minute, as well as rebooted the router, starting it up after the modem went online) and it still wouldn't give the new modem an IP. The TP-Link modem, however, is able to obtain one.

My router is just a router, not a modem/router combo.
  20. Febb Augur

Your ISP keeps track of the mac address of your modem and the router connected to your modem. If you change the mac address of your router, you'll need to contact your ISP to change it on their end or get the mac address they have assigned for your hardware.