Anniversary Promotions

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by KrakenReality, Feb 26, 2021.

1. Smokezz The Bane Crew

Just because it's done one time, doesn't mean everything should always be that way. Expecting it is a bit much. It's just nice when it happens.
  2. Barraind Grumpy Old Bastage

Anniversary stuff has been obtainable by f2p accounts since they added f2p accounts until last year.

In the last year or so theyve moved significantly away from that type of model (including overseer, initially, and the way they handle test)
  3. Benito EQ player since 2001.

I have to agree with Smokezz. Daybreak/EG7 is a business. The anniversary content (quests or zones) are free and not a DLC you have to pay for (if they were actually greedy). The anniversary grant is their prerogative.

If anything, if someone wants the illusion or mount or familiar on their 6+ accounts, they can set aside money from their stimulus check or tax refund.
  4. KrakenReality Augur

Well, it is the nature of the business model to get as many users that you can interested. The higher the user count the higher chance more users will join. So, offering a digital product for free that has minimal actual costs to your business can be a winning a strategy. Which is why they implemented free heroics for everyone in 2018.

They're not in the business of giving things away for free, but they are very much in the business of maintaining a medium-city sized city population.
  5. Benito EQ player since 2001.

If they do require a Krono or other membership charge, I suspect, as a lifetime member, you can petition and get the grant free.
  6. Gyurika Godofwar Augur

Anniversary bonuses and content should be for everyone. Now I have no problem with paid accounts getting a higher percentage but there is no reason to exclude a large portion of your player base.

Before you go off on me I have a couple of accounts still subbed, a few just lapsed and I have COV on 7 accounts at the moment and plan to get it on a few more in the near future.
  7. Gyurika Godofwar Augur

Also no offense but promotions tend to be loss leaders to get people to buy other stuff anyway. Look at Black Friday/Cyber Monday sales for example.

Like Benito mentioned it's a digital item that has little if any costs involved at this point and is probably not exactly a big ticket item that sells much throughout the year.

I don't have their metrics but I am sure they would like to draw as much attention to the game as they can around anniversary time especially and to make a point of bringing back players who have retired or are taking a break.

Including everyone in their anniversary promo is a good way to do that without costing the company a large up front investment.
    Leerah likes this.
  8. Benito EQ player since 2001.

In fairness, anniversary content - quest or zone - is free. So far, Darkpaw Games does not apply a paid DLC model (which some greedy game developers do).

The grant (illusion/mount/familiar/Heroic Character) is their prerogative. We ought to treat it as a "crowdfunding" incentive. We have lots of stimulus money going around this year and our hobby deserves some love.
    CatsPaws likes this.
  9. KrakenReality Augur

You credited the wrong poster, haha.

Extra money isn't guaranteed to go to EQ development, it's likely to be distributed as executive/board compensation.
  10. Smokezz The Bane Crew

I'm not going to "go off" on you. You're allowed to have a different opinion. :)
  11. Gyurika Godofwar Augur

Oops! Sorry about that!
    KrakenReality likes this.
  12. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Really? If EQ does not make money, EQ goes into maintenance mode or sunset. This fact is readily apparent by EG7's presentation and data release.

You can apply your argument to any game. It's like saying Pantheon or Ashes of Creation seed money or crowdfunds goes to line the pockets of their people. I put my money in EQ, a proven and working game, over vaporware or pie-in-the-sky project (i.e. Star Citizen).
  13. KrakenReality Augur

Read, what I wrote again. I don't think you understood what I wrote.
  14. Tankkin Journeyman

Here's to hoping for upgraded heroics.

If next expac goes to 120 (like it should be) heroics will be outleveled, and they are due for new ones. Would also be a good quick cash influx for new company.
    Shurman and Gyurika Godofwar like this.
  15. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Do you understand the nature of finance/money?

I won't engage with you. Half of your discussions devolve into unproductive back-and-forth.
  16. Barraind Grumpy Old Bastage

You pretty much can! FF14's biggest money maker, Mogstation (marketplace but more expensive) is funding Squeenix's terrible life decisions the past few years, and the money theyve spent on 14 has remained relatively constant. As per their own financial statements.
    Benito likes this.
  17. Benito EQ player since 2001.

I know. It basically makes his point moot. Money-making is the nature of the gaming industry. If profit margins are anyone's concern, then march with your money. (EQ1 making $11.5m in YTD bookings is not exactly ExxonMobil level of injustice). If your game doesn't make money, it goes into the dustbin of history (maintenance mode or sunset).
  18. KrakenReality Augur

That is fine with me, you seem to be arguing about a point I'm not making. I'm not arguing that a business needs revenue, but they only account for X amount and anything over that isn't going to be automatically reinvested.

Yes, do you understand how businesses that are owned by equity firms operate? EQ has projected revenue targets for the year, and any extra revenue generated isn't going to be retained by DPG. The money is going to filter up to fund other projects, corporate and executive bonuses, and possibly some debt servicing. Remember how EG7 bought them for DBG for $300 million? EG7 isn't putting $300million of debt onto its books that purchase price is placed on DBG as debt.

You missed Barraind's point that FF14 generates excess revenue that flows throughout the rest of the company.

You're not recognizing that you're arguing a different point, and not one that I am making while deny one of the most universal themes throughout business. SOE took the extra revenue from EQ's early years and distributed it throughout the company. Blizzard certainly hasn't put the ~$10billion USD back into WoW. Even the smallest scale real estate investor doesn't take their extra profit and invest back into the property.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  19. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Am I going to die on this strange hill of arguing over an optional $15-$90 (for this likely cosmetic promotion) in the context of EQ1's comparatively low $11.5m in YTD bookings (internal comparison where DCUO made $26.7m; external comparison where Fortnite bagged $1.8 billion in 2019)? No.

Would I like the game to continue to survive and develop? Yes.
  20. KrakenReality Augur

Except EQ1 has the highest EBITDA relative to the other properties. You should really only be looking at revenue compared to operating expenses.

So, my question to you is where do you think the profit from EQ1 goes?
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.