Dev Request: Allow Barbarians to be Paladins.

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by OliverQ, Feb 23, 2021.

1. Roxas MM Augur

omg Skuzz. where's the gnome beastlord...:(

you let me down man.
  2. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I am as reliable as a parachute, I always let you down.
    Roxas MM likes this.
  3. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

As much as I despise & loathe Halflings, except when I need to floss, they should have a Bard, whose only instruments are double JumJum Pies.
  4. Gnothappening Augur

Gnome Gadgetlord! Have a mechanical spider as a pet.
  5. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Nah, Gnomes should have a pet that's an Avocado with Cornflour Tortilla wings, then I can have Taco Tuesdays.
  6. aalith New Member

I have to disagree with allowing Halflings to be Bards. Rogues/bards have access to many illusion masks that other classes don't, The halfling mask from Chardok in particular is a favorite among many. As easy as it can be to obtain, it still is something of an accomplishment to be able to become a Halfling Bard in this fashion, I wouldn't want to see this completely trivialized.

edit: skuz is probably only kidding anyway
    code-zero likes this.
  7. Gnothappening Augur

Dev Request: Remove Barbarians from the game and replace with a second Gnome city.
    Ulrin likes this.
  8. Xanathol Augur

I've done many new class & race combos (even new classes) on an e-m-u-l-a-t-o-r over the years. Your post is blatantly false.
  9. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

New combinations are entirely doable using the existing races & classes.

Did you have to remove classes or were you successfully able to go beyond a 2 byte register to allow your version to have over 16 classes though?
    As I understand EQ code & from what EQ coders have said EQ is restricted to a max of 16 classes 16 races by the 2 byte registers EQ has for classes & races.
  10. Machen New Member

The 2 bye limit isn't the issue. That may be inconvenient, but it's solveable, just like they once couldn't go above 32k hp and now they can. Or dozens of other similar limitations from the past that had to be reworked as the game expanded.

The real issue is the fact that they have hundreds of thousands of existing items they would have to go through to determine which could be used by the new race/class combination. This would be brutal even for something like creating a Barbarian Paladin -- there is no large race paladin template you could copy to even get you started.

The last time they created an actual new class, there were a few thousand items to go through. That was tedious but not impossible. They also had a lot more staff at that point to work with.
    Skuz likes this.
  11. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

I'm assuming the process isn't THAT bad since they added Wood Elves to the beastlord class and presumably were ready to do that for any of the other combinations had they won (unless it was rigged which it probably was).
    Skuz likes this.
  12. SwordandShield Lorekeeper

/sarcasm on
    I am so sorry. I didn't realize that an amazing super expert on par or even exceeding the skills of the actual development team at Daybreak Games/ Darkpaw Gamess was going to read my posts. Clearly, you have the development equivalent of the sharingan. You know everything they plan to do and know everything required to to implement any change. If only the would hire you, with your amazing and unparalleled time working on your server that rivals the paid version, they can implement a new class/race combination over a lunch break or two fifteen minute breaks.
    /sacarsm supermode
    I am sure the class/race combination on your super amazing server included cultural armor for every single new combination, a server that you don't want to mention the name of lest it becomes "too" popular. I am sure you have so much responsibility and feel financial consequences when you make a mistake on your free server. I should try to play your server some time. I look forward to yearly expansions and content patches for each month. I would love to play a beastlord gnome that also can transform into a drakkin shaman when needed. I am sure that is super duper easy to code.

/sacarsm off

First off my post isn't blatantly false. Seriously, they don't have the time nor incentive to add more race/class combinations. For example, take the Iksar Berserker. It is in the lore, but you simple can't slap all the shaman Iksar armor with a Berseker class as the armor is tuned for Shaman only and won't have the appropriate stats compared to other cultural Beserker armor. When would the class be added? With GoD or witih the current newest expansion? How much time do you think it would take to make sure all the various epic quests work? Do they get line of quests similar to other Iksar classes? Do they get armor similar to other races for newbies? Where would they start, Cabilis or just a new city? Where would the Berseker guild hall be located?

It isn't as simple as whatever server you believe you are amazing at running. I have always given the development team a hard time in the forums, but we have to realistic. They don't have infinite time nor resources and can't do everything. They have to prioritize projects. A new expansion brings in revenue in a new and tangible way. A new race/class combination would have a very small effect at the margins. Think about changes to the shaman epic. They removed the reputation trick, and it still took them a month or longer to make sure the other parts of the quest worked properly given the changes. This is a very large game, and any changes require investing time to determine if it is feasible and won't have a negative impact and cause the servers to crash.
  13. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

Berserkers are already on Jarsath scale armor. They have their own planar armor called "Shadow Rage" which drops in Fear. They have their own Kael/Skyshrine/Thurgadin quests even though nobody would ever go back to do them when GoD releases. They have PoP armor. Zerkers are already itemized on every major 2hander Classic->PoP. I'm not sure what other "iksar shaman" specific armor you are talking about could be, zerkers can wear almost all generic chain drops.

There is nothing that would prevent you from adding berserkers to the iksar shaman cultural armor "Twoscale", just as Wood Elf Beasts were added to "Brambleborn" armor. If you are talking about weird luclin-era "cultural" armor then all of that stuff is already expansion gated to the point where nobody makes it on TLPs as it is so why should zerkers be any different. Iks Zerkers are already on PoP tradeskilled armor.

When would it be added? When the race unlocks. Why Darkpaw decided to time gate any race/class restrictions other than Guktans (since they have an expansion that adds them to classic zones) is weird anyway.

Epic 1.0s might be an issue for some race/class combinations due to some implementations on factions in certain cities I'll give you that. I can't think of any that you would be hardlocked on but I'm sure at least 1 exists. Zerker epic would not be doable in Kunark in it's current implementation but that could easily be remedied if they decided it was era-appropriate (I think Luclin/Velious would make more sense due to it's pretty damn good ratio).

Skip the iksar questline for them, people might be disappointed but they'd still be happy to have the increased options. Toss em in cabilis, add them to the Iksar Warrior guild area because that place is really big with basically nothing in it already (similar to how beastlords were added to the shaman guild). You would need 3 NPCs minimum and a few more if you wanted to add some extra flavor or new quests.

I wanna be clear, most of us that want Barb Paladins and stuff like Iksar Zerkers aren't under any delusions that it's likely to happen, but it's not like it's THAT difficult to implement and itemization is certainly not a hurdle.
    aalith, Skuz and FranktheBank like this.
  14. Xanathol Augur

Projecting your limits onto others does not make them true.

The itemization isn't bad at all. Itemization is race-homogenized fairly quickly in the expansions. The only ones you have to work on are the earlier expansions.
    Skuz likes this.
  15. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

I'd race change to barbarian paladin in a heartbeat.

Gnomes need a genocide.
  16. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I don't think it was rigged, or if it was then not by SoE/DBG I personally think it was trolled by a whole bunch of Drzzt Do`Urden haters who absolutely did not want a Dark Elf Ranger just because of how many fans there are of that book series and how many people wanted to spoil their party.
    Iksar Berserker was doing pretty well but Berserkers were pretty hated as a class by a whole lotta folks for a very long time, still are by a few even today.
    So what we ended up with, in Wood-Elf Beastlord was just the combo the haters hated least.

Incidentally, that whole thing is what convinced the dev team that polling the players is probably a bad idea.
  17. Kodachi Augur

I don't mind zerkers other then the fact it doomed rogues to forever be a terrible class in this game.

That said, I don't know why they haven't added more random class things like the wood elf beastlord thing.
  18. Brunlin Augur

Warning: Advanced Dungeons and Dragon terms will be used...( i think i just showed my age with AD&D) Barbarians by their name are primitive compared to the civilized nation of man, and given their tribal shamanism ways are usually not a knight class. In the older editions of D&D a paladin had to be lawful good, though i can see paladins in other rpgs also be Lawful Neatrul. They can't be evil of course because than they would be Shadow Knights aka Anti Paladin. Barbarians are usually chaotic in nature, however the Barbs of Halas are devout worshipers of the Tribunal. I think this alone is worthy of Paladin ship and not break game lore. Now iksar rogues are a different story. They would not make sense as Cabilis is a Lawful Evil society, where they would probably kill anything that commits a crime or sentence it to a life time of slavery. Of course one can argue its a 22 year old work of fiction, so let us play anthing we want.
    Bobbybick, Skuz and aalith like this.
  19. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I like your take on it.
    Brunlin likes this.
  20. Chaosflux Augur

*starts drawing sword* sorry going to have to stop you there, there will be no gnome tacos
    Brunlin likes this.