AFK Checks

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by jack of all trades, Feb 16, 2021.

1. Gnothappening Augur

I think you are arguing against points I didn't make. The first point I was making is that a lot of things could be considered third party software using the DPG definition. My second point was that I don't see DPG ever releasing a list of approved third party software because those programs could then be changed by the creator of that software to do other things.

As for GINA, yes, I realize it could potentially be used to do other things. Do you realize that some of the software used to automate EQ can be used to do other things? The one that has space in its name, any key broadcaster, and all virtual machine software can be used for things outside of EQ, that doesn't make them useable for EQ TLPs.

On the subject of maps, I never argued against using maps. I just said that downloading and installing maps someone else made isn't much different from a popular cheat some people use.

Whether maps themselves are good or not is a different subject. I personally have to use them in places like Freeport or I get lost. However, I find them almost useless in zones that have different layers to them as the z axis filtering hurts me more than helps me. II do miss the days of actually knowing a zone when I go into it, but that just isn't realistic in a game with this many expansions. I don't even know the ins and outs of the town closest to mine IRL. So why would I expect people to know every zone in EQ?
  2. Zinth Augur

guess you have no clue how the height filter works and that it is adjustable ;-) layers in zones aren't really a problem but if you wanna handdraw it instead and that is easier for you then feel free to do it, in the meantime the rest of us will enjoy these fine maps people have made over the years
  3. Gnothappening Augur

Are you guys intentionally misrepresenting what I said just to screw with me?

I said that downloading maps and putting them in the map folder isn't much different procedurally than removing doors. I don't want to get into the specifics because I don't think it would be appreciated if I posted an instruction guide on how people cheat to the forums.

I didn't say maps were a bad thing or that I wanted to hand draw them (even my stick figures look like they are melting so me drawing maps is a bad idea). I also said I didn't find maps useful in areas with a lot of z axis. I know the z axis is adjustable, but I really don't find that of much use in a lot of areas. It is either too broad and the whole map is visible when I don't need it, or it is too narrow and confusing as parts fade in and out too rapidly or as I'm going up stairs. This is mainly in areas with maps that overlap each other but also have smaller z differences within the level itself.
  4. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Even in Classic you were MEANT to have maps someone else drew for you. Thats why they put those city maps in the manual...:)

They probably expected people to exchange hand-drawn maps between each other in the community too. Didn't the manuals used to have a link to eqatlas.com back in the day?
    Raytan likes this.
  5. Raytan Augur

A blast from the past. I had several binders of printed eqatlas maps. Always regretted not buying the CD of all the maps when it was offered. I do use in game maps now days and seldom refer to my binders, but every now an then in a zone I haven't been to in a long while, I'll go back to the some of those maps looking for something not in an in game map. Rare, but I used to live by them.

Edit: For the emojie :). Really did love those maps.
    Jumbur likes this.
  6. Zinth Augur

EQ has always been about the community and working together, so claiming that downloading a mapfile another player made is the same as cheating is kinda foolish... I the maps in the manual I used in the start until I learned the cities... even bought some EQ books where one had lots of maps etc.
    Jumbur likes this.
  7. Zinth Augur

even looking back on those maps brings memories, think there is a shadowsite of it online somewhere

those maps were REALLY well made, I like em more than the ingame ones :D
  8. jeskola pheerie

Nice thread derailment.

#FreeKumo
  9. Accipiter Old Timer

You said user-made maps should be considered 3rd party software. I think it's pretty clear why you are getting pushback.
    Zinth likes this.
  10. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

I think he's trying to make a comparison without giving away the way that people cheat to get through doors. He's implying that putting files in your EQ folder to add maps is similar to adding files to your EQ folder that may impact the geometry or objects in a zone. But they are slightly different. The map files were always designed to be replaced. The zone files were not. I don't actually know how the door thing works, but I'd imagine it's something that makes it so when you load into the zone the door isn't there. The only thing I could think of that would do that is a hacked zone file.
    Gnothappening likes this.
  11. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

But since I like tangents and derails sometimes, it should also be noted that the Map wasn't in the game at release. It came out sometime later, during Kunark or later for sure. I remember mapping Droga with my Rogue, manually, with graph paper when Kunark came out, so I know the Map wasn't in yet at that point.
  12. Machen New Member

Were they? They were designed for players to make their own maps. Not sure they were designed with the intent that players would drop a zip file with 1000 maps into the folder. Yes, it works, and literally everyone does it, but that doesn't mean it was intended. I don't recall what they said about it at the time the map feature was introduced.
  13. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

I can't say for sure, but I don't think they put it in with the assumption that each person would be their own cartographer. I think it was expected that some people would use the tool to make maps and that they would give those maps to their friends.

It's possible they didn't expect there to be one person who makes the maps for everybody who plays the game. But it kind of makes sense in hindsight.
  14. Hadce Cleric of Aradune

My account has been unsuspended and I'm still here saying these AFK checks and how this is being handled is ridiculous.

You guys arguing about maps - really? Come on now.
  15. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

EverQuest: The Legacy of Ykesha Features List:
    -- All-new zones to explore on the mysterious, centuries-old Broken Skull Rock
    -- 8 additional bank slots allow players to store more loot, bringing the total bank slots to 16
    -- Innovative NPC conversation journal that allows players to track conversations with NPCs by text, date, zone and NPC
    -- Newly created guild management system to view, promote, demote, and rank guild members online or offline
    -- Enhanced Looking For Group system makes finding the right group or individual easier than ever before
    -- Customizable PC armor dye system enables players to personalize armor
    -- Newly created Cartography system that allows players to create specialized in-game maps using a point-and-line system
    -- New charm inventory slot and a slew of new items that can be placed there that add magical enhancements to the player's character
    -- New playable race, the Frogloks, are rich in lore and fighting to reclaim their homeland

Overall not a lot was said in the press release, any information on the forums from that time is likely lost.
    Zinth likes this.
  16. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Would you prefer we argued about chocolate or what shirt you should wear while eating it?
  17. Hadce Cleric of Aradune

Possibly.
  18. Stymie Pendragon

A thread about afk checks and you decided that maps is relevant to the discussion?
  19. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

We're 16 pages in, people are mostly repeating themselves, and there have been no official responses. It really doesn't matter what gets discussed at this point. Either DBG knows people are lying about why they got suspended, or they are comfortable with the methodology they use to test it.

Anyway, LoY? Wow, that is later than I thought. Definite QoL to have this available earlier.
  20. Gnothappening Augur

No, I said installing third party maps use a similar process to one method of cheating and could, under the guidelines they have listed, be considered third party.
    Skuz likes this.