Dev Request: Allow Barbarians to be Paladins.

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by OliverQ, Feb 23, 2021.

1. OliverQ Elder

I was reading EQ lore, and it turns out Barbarians are created from Mithaniel Marr's Gift of Life, and yet they cannot be Paladins. I feel this is big oversight and that Barbarians should be allowed to be Paladins.

I realize this is a minor issue that almost no one cares about, but in the interest of being true to the game's lore, I feel this change should happen.

On a similar note, Iksar should be allowed to be Rogues.

Maybe consider it for the next TLP as an option.

Thank you.
  2. taliefer Augur

Its been brought up once or twice in the past,but never changed. I always thought it was odd they couldnt be paladins myself.

would probably be my go to class/race combo if they ever added it.
  3. Protocol Dragon Defender

If devs implement Barb Pal and Iksar Rogue (playable in classic and Kunark on TLP) I will donate $1,000 to the charity of Jchans choice.
    Siah, Indigo_Quarmite and Thewiz like this.
  4. Fluid Augur

Barbarians need a god change. IMO as implemented in EQ they are closer to Conan then a classic Paladin so the creator god they are given is nonsensical. To late now me thinks.
  5. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

Fully agree, Barbarians should be able to be Paladins and worship either Mithaniel Marr or Erollisi Marr, could even lock it behind LoY if you wanted it to be some sort of in-game revelation of their heritage that they learn from the Guktans. Currently beastlords are the only class (of four) that can worship Mithaniel so at least there's already precedent for them knowing.

Feels like they just needed a race to worship The Tribunal and none of the others came close to fitting so it landed on the Barbs. Though as a Lore-aside I feel like Tribunal should be available to all paladins and most neutral/good cleric races.

WHILE WE'RE AT IT. Why doesn't Everfrost connect to either West Karana or North Karana in the southeast quadrant of the zone? You want me to believe that in all the time the Barbarians have settled in Halas they never found or created an alternate means of travel to connect to the main agricultural hub and the highway that allows them access to the rest of the continent? They decided that it was perfectly fine to send and receive expeditions of traders and farmers(see karana fishermen) through blackburrow every time?
    SunDrake likes this.
  6. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Hail Crom! (very much like Odin)
  7. Gnothappening Augur

Don't you have to have a Cleric as one of your classes in order to be a Paladin? I think the only race that breaks with Cler/War are Erudites? TBH they aren't even needed. Just like Dwarves and High Elves are superfluous on Faydwer because Gnomes are the prime race. Gnome, because any other choice is second best at most. Oooh, could remove Erudin and Paineel and replace it with more gnome cities. Then gnomes could launch a campaign and take over Faydwer. Force all other races to the main continent or to the moon. Then we would slowly conquer all as we take our rightful place as the rulers of Everquest.... sorry, got a little distracted there.
  8. Eshan Evanstar New Member

Half Elfs cant be clerics but can be paladins.
  9. Gnothappening Augur

Yet another race that isn't needed as because we have Gnomes.
  10. code-zero Augur

Half Elf can worship Inny but can't be SK's. Inny worshipping Half Elves can only be Warriors
  11. Tegila Augur

I've always thought Barb's should be able to be druids, since they wear kilts and druidry is and always was a Celtic practice, I've even lived with 4-5 practicing druids(not EQ druidry lol) and that's likely why it's always bugged me. I won't get into actual druadic lore though because that's be a big mess vs EQ druidry lol.

Also never made sense that humans and drakkin couldn't be shaman. Every sentient species MUST have healers, and since EQ only has 3 real healing classes, I think both pagan-type healers should be avail in all races(cleric just wouldn't fit all) though I know that all the race/class restrictions are related to available animations, I wouldn't think it'd be THAT hard to add a couple animations, or give some multiple uses. Every race DOES have at least 1 class that has spells of some sort right? So they all have caster animations.

Hey, to be fully modernized politically, game should allow all races to be all classes. No racism in EQ! (joking) There are important lore reasons for some of these restrictions, but not so much for others.
  12. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Wish list:

Iksar Berserker - they were in Kunark's lore long before they showed up in GoD.
    Ogre Druids - evil druids needs to happen, make use of all those bad druid rings
    Troll Clerics - can choose Cazic-Thule or Innoruuk
    Dwarf Shadowknights - the Dwarves who got SO grumpy that they became evil
    Froglok Beastlord *Salamander Pet - Thanks minimind
  13. Gnothappening Augur

Or, they could just let gnomes be every class and then remove all of the other races. Do it one per year as Gnomes slowly conquer the world and eliminate every other race.
  14. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Pipe down you noisy sandwich filler.

*Sharpens Skewers*
    Lejaun likes this.
  15. Mrjon3s Augur

Where the Iksar Rangers at. Your telling me people living in a jungle wouldn't have some form of tracker.
  16. Gnothappening Augur

Don't worry, we will leave the ogres and trolls for last as they can be used to reach things on high shelves, and open pickle jars.
  17. Xanathol Augur

SK Barbarians first! Bc reasons...
  18. Happyfeet V91 New Member

Halfling Bard is the most obvious missing combo IMO.
  19. code-zero Augur

yuck
  20. SwordandShield Lorekeeper

We aren't ever going to get another class/race combination. The amount of work required is insane. They have already stated this as well. An insane amount of stuff requires race or class consideration. Adding a race to thousands of items would suck. Adding appropriate cultural armor would suck. It isn't going to happen.
    code-zero likes this.