Meeting EQ people in RL, what's your story?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Elyssanda, Feb 23, 2021.

1. Elyssanda Bardbrain

trying not to further derail the confessions thread..
    Mine:
    Before leaving the game when HoT started, I had met roughly 22 EQ Players in RL.
    My instructor for a networking administration class introduced me to EQ. We had a guild meet where about 17 of us showed up from all over the USA in Las Vegas in 2002 iirc.. we had a blast for 3 days chatting and exploring and eating and drinking together. I met my guild leader who was a little Frenchman who went by Galorh Holyblade as the leader of Seeds of Legends on Torvonnilous both there in Vegas, and a few times here in Texas. Then I met a few others who also lived in California whenever we would travel to meet family all over the state.

Since coming back to EQ right before TDS went live (like the week before), I met my best friend who turned out to live less than 2 hours away. Brewall and I've met up a few times as he is also about that far away, great to talk bard stuff and EQ with. I met a cleric in New Mexico, a beastlord in Arizona, and a husband wife duo in California, and a rogue in California. I have lunch with Ogre warrior from Oklahoma whenever he comes down to Texas to check on his parents, or do the Steampunk November event down here (he's a smithy apprentice in RL as well as a major computer brain). And when I went to San Antonio with my husband (who plays a paladin) I met up with another lady who plays a bard, and another Ogre warrior. Oh, and last year, I met an enchanter who lives about a half hour from my parents in California.

That puts my count somewhere between 30 & 35, factoring in a few I may have missed.. I've loved meeting each and every one of these people.

I wish I'd been able to make even 1 of the fan faires, but when we could finally go to them, they stopped having them.
  2. Astral64 Augur

I ran into Bobbybick once and woke up the next morning in hotel bathtub full of ice with a large wound on my side.

10/10 would party with again.
    Lejaun, Zamiam, FranktheBank and 8 others like this.
  3. Zynt Augur

I had Thanksgiving dinner with Skater nome in the early 200s. Haven't talked to him in a few years. Samana from The Shaman's Crucible and I speak regularly and have for years and years now. When he heads to the Appalachian Mts to stay at his cabin I will meet up with him from time to time. I live a couple of hours from an old friend from EQ Necro and we get together a couple times a year. An enchanter I played with back in the day and I get together when I'm in Dallas for business. He played a gnome and he's 6'6" in real life. My oldest EQ friend, from our EK aviak days and I get together twice a year, once in Indy and once in the Smokey Mts. I have aother old friend from EQNecro that lives in Norway and I see him every 2 to 3 years. Missed last year due to Covid.

There's several more I communicate with via social media or text fairly regularly. I'm the last one still playing but this is the 1st time I've been back this long in quite awhile.
  4. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Met up with some of the fun people of United Kingdom a long while ago now, lots of nerd chat & drinking. Good time.
    Elyssanda likes this.
  5. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

Years ago, early EQ days... it took me forever to travel over to a zone where I met some dark elves right after I zoned in. I was worried because the guards I conned were KOS.
    A couple of the dark elves came over to talk and we were getting to know where we were from in RL. This was the period of when you could get on a keyboard and talk to someone from foreign lands.. EQ was amazing for that.

One other came up, then walked away, then ran past me. All of a sudden the guards followed him but he zoned. Since I was a wood elf, the guards killed me.

I spent 6 hrs getting friends together and hunt that dark elf down... getting my corpses back.

One day, IN Vegas .. /grin!
    What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas.

WHAT!? 96% rez?
    /cry

back to my search...

(This story is a story and nothing happened in Vegas)
  6. Flatchy Court Jester

In my original guild ,Ethereal Coven, I met Klerycal Error my cleric. After a year of playing together found out she lived about 45 miles from me. One Easter sunday we met for lunch and things kind of took off from there. We got married in 2006 and produced a beautiful Trelf, (half troll, half high elf) .
    Unfortunately she lost interest in the game and went the way of Wow. She does dabble in EQ2 time to time but no longer joins me in Norrath.

Oh and Kraven has stopped by my house from time to time on his travels through Iowa.
    Deux and Elyssanda like this.
  7. Evye Augur

This song is pretty much word for word what happened with one of my meetings.
  8. GoneFission Augur

I prefer the mystery of keeping the relationship in-game. If the few people I have emails for, I still call them by their EQ name. They do the same with me.
  9. Zemistheman New Member

Back in 2000 - 2001 (ish) the guild I was in on The Tribunal was Dies Irae (I think that was the name, LOL). We found out a good group of us lived in and close to Atlanta and decided to meet for dinner at the Cheesecake factory.
    The GL was a monk named Xaveria and his RL wife was Rifkind - met them, super nice!
    In the corner was a guy who looked like he just got released from jail and his half dressed girl-friend ALL over each other.
    We sit down and my ex-wife (HATED EQ btw) is absolutely freaking out to be seen at this table.... several of the attendees wore capes and the like.
    Conversation is decent as the story was relived on "How" several of the people learned of riposte and how to turn off attack to prevent it, how long some people grouped outside Karnors castle, etc. Then came the BIG news! The guild was going to start working on the VP key (the pained soul can kiss my candy a** all day and every day)

As we were about to leave, my ex puts her hand down to stand up and touches another hand - (the guy she touched.... by the look on his face, no female had ever touched him before). The guys eyes get huge and my ex says: "sorry" and he says nothing and bolts to go pay. I am dying laughing by now - this is just pure gold to witness.

My ex goes to the rest room and while she is in there - I decide to go as well.

She comes out - can't find me and sees someone standing at the register paying and she walks up and runs her hand up the back of the guys head, in his hair...... the snaps around, same guy as before - and starts to studder....my ex's face is beet red and she is trying to hold back laughter - as I walk up, also laughing - the guy bolts from the restaurant and didn't even sign his receipt.

Later on I found out he de-guilded, deleted his character and moved to another server.

My ex (some how thought that guy was me) at the register - to this day, she said that his reaction BOTH times - made her EQ dinner night.
  10. Sissruukk Rogue One

I've only met one person in game, and that was back in, oh, 2001. I have people in my guild that live close to me, but we have never arranged to meet or anything. I guess I like having that wall of separation between fantasy and IRL.
  11. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

Me and my friend (who I introduced to EQ) found out that two of the guys in our guild lived about 20 minutes away from us in the panhandle of FL. I didn't know these two as much as my buddy and he setup a time for us to pop over and say hi and I think the plan was for us to go grab some Sonic (a fast food place) for lunch. To set the stage we were both about 16 at the time, having just gotten our licenses so we could go wherever and I guess at the time just assumed most people playing video games online were our age. We were mistaken.

Nothing happened and it was all fine but we didn't end up going to lunch with those gentlemen. You would think I'd know better after getting catfished multiple times when I was younger in The Realm.

Fan Faire's were alright though, I met yung Beimeith though he doesnt remember it.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  12. Nudia Augur

Ah, a fellow man of culture.

Have met many on EQ, between Fan Faires, people I found living close, etc. Roomed wiith some in college. Married with kids to someone introduced to me via a few EQ friends I was visiting.
  13. Moobak No slaughter without laughter

I knew some of the people I played with, lived with some of them too. However outside that no. I did meet up with a bunch of people from Fen-Ro at the Fan Faire in New Orleans that was the weekend before Halloween. That was a good time along bourbon street.
  14. Evye Augur

Oh there was the one girl who moved in with my from EQ.
    Opened a CC in my name without me knowing and maxed it out.
    Messing up my credit. Her Mom called me a couple weeks later and
    bestowed me with this bit a wisdom to share. "You lonely nerds
    need to be careful because she's done this multiple times."
    Tegila likes this.
  15. Brilhasti Elder

New Dawn Ascended meetup at a hotel in Birmingham, UK many years ago. Was a glorious time with much drinking with good friends. We had a few meetups back in the day.
  16. zarcal Elder

When i moved to my new house, The cable guy was hooking up the tv and internet and when it was up and running he saw my EQ icon and it turns out we played on the same server Povar and group together for a couple years. He no longer plays but still cool
  17. Tegila Augur

I was introduced to the game late(tss or tbs era) by my bf at the time...now an ex because of ingame drama lol...who had played since beta. I didn't meet anyone else for a couple years and only knew a couple on FB even then, but since then:
    My old raid guild had monthly Florida dinners(or maybe it was quarterly I forget) where 8-12 of us would get together. This was at the time that I was living with my guildleader lol. I'm not from Florida originally or now, just lived there about 2 years. While living in Guam I met another very long time friend/player/guildmate, and another on another server I didn't even know just somehow EQ came up in conversation. I think I accidentally met a couple eq players in more recent years too but from other servers so I don't remember any of them anymore lol. I was in one guild who did a yearly guild fanfaire things where dozens typically came, and there were I think 6 different married couples in the guild who had met in EQ, including pretty much the entire leader/officership.I also introduced my entire house to EQ several years back very a because our internet was too horrible for eq, though none of them played for long.

all in all, if you count everyone ever, I've LIVED with 6 other players over the years(1 my daughter lol) but if you don't count the brief excursion into or my daughter since she was 4 last she played, it's only been 2 I've lived with though years apart.

OH I also met with a ranger in NH a few times because I was going up for work for a couple weeks one year, but I forget his name now.

All in all I've probably only met irl altogether maybe 2 dozen people that have ever cast a spell or hit attack in EQ even once, maybe half long time players and intentional meeting lol, the rest incidental and/or shortterm players.

Only 1 still plays afaik, though others log in periodically just to say hi.

Edit: just remembered 1 more, the 1 of 3 rl friends of each other I went to visit in the next state. The other 2 both chickened out lol, but they were pretty shy and...not female aware? One I know was still..innocent...at 23. The one that didn't chicken out was married and packing half a dozen pistols in his trunk lol, so I guess I wasn't so scary to him. Lol, when I got home my mother mentioned she'd seen some news thing about a new serial killer in the same obscure area of Ohio I'd just been, and the timing and circumstance both got me accused in-game by a few different ppl lol...still not 100% sure they were all joking :)
  18. Nennius Curmudgeon

I saw the Dateline episode on that. Scary stuff.

An EQ gamer in RL. Well, sort of...

[IMG]
  19. Sirene_Fippy Okayest Bard

My brother was introduced to EQ by his friend in high school, and I started playing because I did everything he did. Later on (when I was in high school) I met someone I had grown up with who also played EQ, however, we really didn't like each other IRL so it was more of a "WTF, you play EQ? No you don't" kind of conversation.

I bought EQ gamecards for my friends in high school, but it never stuck. I've never gotten a single person I know IRL to play the game for more than a few days.

My mom's coworker at the library played EQ with her husband throughout college, and I met them several times. She was a cleric, and was able to explain to my mom why I couldn't "just get off the computer" (I was a cleric at the time). The husband dropped out of college because of EQ, and later emailed Google when he found a bug in their software, and was offered a job on the spot (early 2000s).

In college I never talked about my EQ habit, by that point I'd learned how weird it was. At this point the only EQ people I met were ones I already knew inside the game.

This story is barely about meeting someone from EQ but I like it so I'll tell it anyway.

One of my guildmates was going to a concert in San Francisco for NYE, and asked if I wanted to go to the concert and meet up. I did, and my sister went with me. It was a costume party and we dressed up like pandas and got on the train. I met up with my EQ friend and it was a bit awkward. However, he had come to the concert with his guy friend, who brought a girl that he met online. She really liked the guy, but he didn't like her back. So she and I went off together and had a great time. Later on in the concert, there was a commotion and a fight broke out. People made a circle to make room. One of the people fighting was a large drunk dude, the other was a small panda (my sister). Later on, my sister texted me and said we had to go, the last train was leaving. So we hailed a taxi (this was pre-uber) and this blonde lady gets in the front seat of the taxi. My sister screams at her to get out of our taxi, and she and I get in the back seat. The other lady gets out, and my sister tells the taxi driver to step on it to the train station. We get to the station and the train is overflowing with drunk people who say "there's no room on the train, go away." My sister takes my hand, pushes through the crowd, and yells at the guys hanging off the train, "There's still room on the train I saw it back there!" She jumps at them and gets inside, and grabs me behind her and pulled me onto the overflowing train. We got off at our stop, and this weird drunk dude followed us several blocks before my sister called our dad to pick us up. When we got home, she poured water into a 4 cup measure, drank all of it, and went to bed.
  20. Tegila Augur

oh yeah, one of the ppl i met irl had previously been a roommate of the infamous Brentos at the time of the uh...unfortunate happenings there. that was interesting.