Phinigel Beats Mearatas In The 11th Hour!

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Mangler-Wiz, Feb 23, 2021.

1. sieger Augur

I think the closer you get to modern eras the less difference there is. We've always had a few people rattling around on Selo that were on live as far as TBL in era, and my understanding is their impression is the power level increase on TLP was very substantial in eras like Underfoot / VoA / RoF / CotF, much less so by EoK/RoS.
    Accipiter and Skuz like this.
  2. Sancus Augur

They aren't pretty much identical. The AA changes in ToV were a large part of the overall DPS increases going from TBL to ToV, and those were applied retroactively. They're class specific, but most served to increase DPS. For Mages, as an example:
    • In-era, Heart of Flames did not have a critical damage mod. It was merged with Heart of Vapor and now has both.
    • In-era, Chaotic Inferno did not have a focus AA. In TBL it now has a 20% one.
    • In-era, there were three separate Spires; they are all combined now.
    • In-era, there were four separate Elemental Form AAs; they are all combined now.
    • Edit: In-era, Season's Wrath had a much lower uptime. That's not a Mage change, but it actually contributed pretty notably to our DPS increasing TBL -> ToV.
    The Form/Spire changes were relatively inconsequential for Mages, but the first two and the SW change are significant. You can see a list of all of the ToV changes here. The biggest changes from a DPS perspective were the conversion of DoT extension AAs to % focuses, which substantially increased the DPS of classes with those AA. The Necro DoT revamp during ToV also obviously dramatically increased that class's DPS.

All that said, beating Mearatas, especially with the flagging and gearing restrictions is a great accomplishment. I don't think trying to compare it to beating it in-era on live is productive or necessary for it to be significant.
  3. sieger Augur

Some things also work the other way in the last few TLPs, like there were classes that were considered too powerful in 105/110 that were nerfed, and TLP had those nerfs from day one and didn't benefit from any time with those classes being overpowered. I do agree that comparing the two isn't really that meaningful of an exercise, TLP and live raiding are very different challenges. Running guilds on live vs TLP are also very different challenges, and the player base is frankly very different. As we transition to live one thing we have as a serious problem is most TLP players expect to be busy basically all the time, the few expansions where we've had "down time" on Selo, we've had serious player loss. On live guilds have to be able to manage literally 3/4ths of a year of not having any meaningful content to do but still feel motivated to get ready for the next expansion and etc come end of the calendar year.
    Skuz likes this.
  4. Darchon_Xegony Augur

I think I found Triunity harder mostly because there was no save point and getting to the hardest part of the event took 2 hours of the script. Whereas in Mearatas you can faceroll the first 75% of the fight in 15min and get to the hardest(only) part of the event, allowing for way more repetitions in a single raid night.

I will say the Mearatas death adds strongly reminded me of the Vulak Ring event from Luclin era EQ. Just 1 death during the multi-flurry drake waves resulted in a carrion drake who would GFlux your clerics, breaking CH chains, causing more tanks to die, causing more drakes to spawn. Fully wiping out raids in <10seconds. Good times!
    Warrior007 likes this.
  5. Vule_Xyrashue Journeyman

Congrats folks, very happy for ya.
    Warrior007 and Skuz like this.
  6. Zolav Augur

Gratz dudes a solid win. Not sure why the hate from others.. since your win had noting to do with their achievements or wins on the raid.

OH! enjoy your last challenging raid for the next 2 expansions lol .
  7. Xoner Baby Joesph Sayer

Out of all of the "X guild accomplishes X" posts, this one is by far the most impressive. Congrats OGC and associates. Very well done.
  8. jeskola pheerie

It will be interesting to see how the Phinny and Selo guilds fare on Live come next expansion.
  9. Lisard Silly

Firstly, I want to Congratulate you guys on a magnanimous Achievement, Victory and Togetherness.

A TLP that is pushing towards live and committed to expansion completions is Top Shelf. A Guild that works together as a team to win every event on their own terms is even higher. a Server THAT WORKS TOGETHER over personal guild interests of Fame and fortune is the BIGGEST highlight I see here. Phinigal beat Mearatas, no 1 guild or bloated ego, an entire server. Well done, your #1 compared to Live servers where everyone is flopping an epeen. you guys zipped up and got it done.

Dont let the tool bag haters bring you down. You deserved that win, you earned that win, Rock It Gloriously.
    Skuz, Warrior007, Froogle and 3 others like this.
  10. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

/wipes coffee off the monitor

LOL IRL
    Warrior007, Aegir and Lisard like this.
  11. Scornfire The Nimbus Prince

Excuse me, why wasn't I invited?

Grats Phinny!
    Skuz, Warrior007, Aegir and 1 other person like this.
  12. Karhar Dream Crusher

Cause they don't stream :p
    Scornfire likes this.
  13. Silver-Crow Augur

Awesome job!!
    Skuz likes this.
  14. illithid mind flayer New Member

Congrats boys, enjoy ToV.
    Skuz likes this.
  15. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Several awesome ladies were there too :)
  16. Bullsnooze Augur

Well done folks, that is actually an accomplishment worth celebrating. :)
    Skuz likes this.
  17. Baradorn Lorekeeper

You didn't understand, it was 50 players per guild, they didn't have a pool of 150 players to choose from to do this raid. 50 players per guild that don't team with each other.

For the rest of TLP players that think they owned guilds on live, I believe that the excuse of live players had more months to farm to get more gear is largely offset by the fact some class are doing more DPS than they could before, especially OP necromancers dots, that are very useful there to reduce massively the boss HP %. Even only 2 necros is enough to gain enough advantage.

After 2 nerfs, this raid was still challenging, but was very much less hard than the very first pre-nerf version, even the second version was much harder, and you experimented the 3rd version.

So congrats yeah, but don't start to brag that you would have destroyed live guilds lol.
  18. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Nowhere in this whole thread was anyone bragging they owned anyone or would have destroyed live guilds, many posters were quite clear in making a point about NOT drawing a comparison between live & TLP and gave reasons for that, in fact. Simply saying that they downed the event in era and were in X position relative to other guilds is simply a statement of fact, it isn't raining on anyone else's parade.

So why exactly are you even saying crap like this?

I have a suggestion for you, wind your neck in.
    Rajaah likes this.
  19. Baradorn Lorekeeper

You're welcomed.

A lot of comparison made with Live guilds. The word "destroy" I used was too much, yeah, but noneless some excuse is given in these threads that imply that they are better than live guilds. Especially the first post quoted from Rajaah made me laugh the most.
  20. KrakenReality Augur

Eh, my post is a fact though.