Few days after patch

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Evye, Feb 20, 2021.

1. Evye Augur

Doesn't everyone love the few days after patch when the bot groups can't automate?
    It's like eq days of old
  2. Fenthen aka Rath

It's not bot groups that are your problem, it's that they're kinda too cheap to upgrade hardware (or to redevelop the aspects of the game layered on the hardware) to meet the demands of the number of accounts logged in. They have the numbers, and finances aren't an issue. The game shouldn't only be "good" to play for a day or two after a patch. It should be like that always.
    Nennius likes this.
  3. Nennius Curmudgeon

Well put. Infrastructure (servers and people to manage them) does cost money. Look at California's badly deteriorating roads for example of a failure to invest in the future. But lack of investing in infrastructure improvements in the gaming world can drive customers away in a hurry. Gamers tend to be fickle and it is easy to jump to a new game. Folks like me who only play one online game seem to be pretty rare.

Daybreak has been behind the curve on infrastructure spending for a long time. We are now seeing the results. This situation can change though. And I hope it will.
    KrakenReality, Sissruukk and Fenthen like this.
  4. Elyssanda Bardbrain

I've seen bot groups up and running within 6-8 hours of patch. not days..

Lag isn't the bot groups. they may contribute, but not the root cause..
    Zynt and Corwyhn Lionheart like this.
  5. Waring_McMarrin Augur

When dealing with a 25+ year old game you can't always solve performance problems just by throwing hardware at it. It shouldn't be hard to imagine that there are plenty of new advancements in hardware that game is simply not able to take advantage of this. A good example of this is how the client is mostly cpu bound and doesn't utilize much of your graphics card.

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...y-graphic-card-to-run-eq.214660/#post-3140045

I am sure they want to improve performance but it is not just a simple matter of adding new or more hardware.
  6. Evye Augur

I never said anything about lag.
    I was referring to not having to fight bot groups for names for a few days.
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  7. CazRaX Elder

Few days? Few hours maybe.
    Elyssanda likes this.
  8. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

Indeed.

The thing you're talking about is bot groups using 3rd party cheating programs. They are designed to work a certain way with EQ.

If a patch changing EQ code affects something that breaks their 3rd party program, they have to recode the cheat program, re-compile, and re-distribute that before getting up and running again.

But if the patch didn't change something that affects their program, you see this..

Both are true, and that is why. To a large degree.
    Quatr likes this.
  9. Evye Augur

All very good observations
    But it also takes time for them to repopulate. Kind of like Baz Traders.
    Seems like a tiny random patch daily would make EQ too much of a hassle for most of them....

MasterMagnus likes this.
  10. Palladine New Member

Emque is back up same day folks.. Don't know what you are on. I s box doesn't break on patch. What happens after a patch is the hordes of offline sellers go away.
  11. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

Interesting.

I don't use 3rd party programs so I didn't know. Just repeating an old explanation for why both things (quickly re-camping named, or not) happen.
  12. Evye Augur

mentioning the name of the 3rd party program is how we get these threads removed.
    I always thought the one you mentioned wasn't automation but just button linking
  13. Moege Augur

Then I have being lied to, one person that say he only uses boxer... characters sure follow him neatly
  14. Evye Augur

I could have been lied too as well =) all 2nd or 3rd hand info.
  15. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

This actually isn't difficult to achieve using /follow if the framerate of background sessions can be kept high enough.

Not to say the person in question isn't haQQing the game, but /fol works quite well if those framerates stay high.
    Strumph and MasterMagnus like this.
  16. Cadira Augur

Everyone who uses emque "says they use I s b" but I'd figure the actual number of people who make that claim that actually use I s b is closer to 20 or 30%.

Easiest tell is if their melee boxes automatically snap to the back of the mob relative to the tank. You'll usually see multiple melee toons do it at the same time in a perfect robot movement in a circular arc style. I s b can't do that.
    I_Love_My_Bandwidth likes this.
  17. Mazame Augur

you don't need to keep it high. The human eye views 32 frames per sec. ( we would time film projectors at this rate) so at this speed your able to turn still pictures into movies. Even when a film would get damages and we would remove a few frames no one notice.

If you go into the options tab and turn max frames per sec to 35 and turn the Max background FPS to 35 you will not see difference in your view of the game play. Things like /follow how ever will work 1000X better.

After making this change I no longer have toons stop following unless they get stuck on a something.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  18. Sancus Augur

[IMG]
  19. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Movies are at 24 fps and that was due to technical and cost constraints in the early days the industry. Movie reels are already fairly large in size and require changeouts during a screening at 24fps and would be much worse if it was at a higher framerate.
    Riou likes this.
  20. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Oye vey....

Please re-read what I wrote. Not even going to explain myself.