So Aaryonar...

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Cicelee, Feb 22, 2021.

1. Mazame Augur

This is a good point. but if that is the problem would it not be worth up grading 1 live server to handle a larger load and test if that solves the issue?
  2. Mazame Augur

Hmmm your saying the Euro server is working fine? so with different hardware from the us hardware it working fine.
  3. Laronk Augur

EQ1 and EQ2 are different products and while they have a similar lag situation it doesn't mean its the cause same in both games.

As far as troubleshooting, what brings you to the conclusion that they haven't been troubleshooting.
  4. Szilent Augur

What you're describing isn't well explained by the event text, but after finally experiencing it after several wins it was immediately clear to Silent Redemption what had caused it and we definitely won't encounter it again. Solving it is not based on doing anything incorrectly. As far as I'm concerned, it's just a messaging fail.

The only *bug* remaining is anomalous awarding of Aaryonar: Rule of Three achievement.
  5. Waring_McMarrin Augur

EQ is dealing with 25+ year old code that is unlikely able to take advantage of modern hardware. Heck the client that the players use doesn't take advantage of your graphics card and is mostly cpu bound.

As a note I don't remember them saying that the proc changes where going to fix all the lag problems but it was just a step in the process.
  6. Waring_McMarrin Augur

As far as I understand each orb is supposed to be taken to a specific aura or different bad things will happen and in the case of one of the orbs it can cause the script to break. And if taking one of the orbs to the correct aura causes the npc to heal up to 87% and lock I am not sure how it could not be a bug.
    Cadira likes this.
  7. Maedhros High King

The only time we ever had Grolik lock at 87% was last weekend before the patch. Grolik was at 40% or so and leashed after doing his burrow under the ground thing. He didnt leash to 100%, he leashed to 87% and was then invulnerable. Not sure if it got stuck under ground and warped. We had definitely seen it get stuck under the ground a few times but that was the only time it locked.
    That did not happen to us last night though.
    Last night was our first try on this since the patch.
    My impression was that orbs were running great and not rubber banding or ghosting like they had been and actually seemed to move faster in general.
    Aura's went faster though they were still not on the 1:35 timer that I believe it is supposed to be, but it was not as awful as when we were getting them at 2:40 intervals.
    I'd surely prefer that the aura and orb timers were linked to one another so that even if that component lags out, you would still get the same amount of auras as you get orbs. Say 45 seconds after each set of orbs the auras spawn.

What makes this raid tough is that its chaotic.
    Many guilds struggle with chaotic raids.
    The only thing that works against chaos is flawless, or near it, execution.
    The T3 raids are much more straight forward, so I suspect that Aary is absolutely this years Drusella's Vault.
    Fortunately or unfortunately guilds that fail to beat Aary will be able to attempt the Defenders of the Tomb raid in T3, but even if it is fairly straight forward it has a pretty decent dps check so it will be interesting to see if guilds that cannot beat Aary can manage to beat DOTT.
  8. Szilent Augur

"if", indeed. But if that's not the case, then it is not a bug.
  9. Maedhros High King

We beat this last night and I would say 90% of our orbs made it to their correct auras.
    If taking orbs to their correct auras causes this lock bug as you mention, that has absolutely not been our experience with it at all.
  10. Waring_McMarrin Augur

How do you explain TR having no issues with locking as soon as we did just that?
  11. Waring_McMarrin Augur

And since it doesn't happen on every orb it is logical to assume that there are other factors involved.
  12. adetia Monkess Wonder, Ruler of All

I would disagree with quite a few posts here, which I suspect, is why we've had such a difficult time of getting this fixed since beta, where most people casually dismissed it as not being broken (spoiler: it is).

This raid is not exceptionally difficult once you get a good/solid understanding of how the script is supposed to work and how the mechanics work. Its basically just an endless repetition of the same cycle. Once you master that cycle, and anticipate what comes next, its just a question of doing it however long you need to kill everything.

Now, there are still some messaging problems, and a few trivial bugs that need to be squashed, but the key one can be summed up by this statement:

In my very educated opinion, The Grolik heal to 87% and permanently lock bug is caused by some kind of problem in the script portion that is applying the successful delivery of the shadow orb to the shadow aura. The script does not "bug out" or break every time you deliver a shadow orb successfully, but every time it does "bug out" in this specific manner, it will coincide perfectly with the delivery of the shadow orb to the shadow aura. In other words, you can do it 20 times without whatever problem kicking in that breaks it, but every time it breaks, that will have just happened, without exception.

This is further complicated by the fact that the shadow orb going into the shadow aura should have nothing to do with it locking or relocking or any such thing, so it should never be also calling the barrier break message, which also ALWAYS coincides with the "bug out" after the first successful, intentional unlock. All other unlocks are completely "unintentional" in our experience, we've taken great pains to ensure it, and then that coupled with the delivery problem make it very clear that this is the portion of the event that has the problem.

You can further verify that by simply working around that, which, on the very first try we did that, we did not lock Grolik for the very first time, and won handily after that. Its never been an execution problem on our end, in my opinion, and we should have had this dead on T2 open; had it not been for this bug. Woulda, coulda, shoulda. Whatever. Before this past week's patch, I'm not sure the current workaround would even have allowed the win, as one other condition changed which allows it to work now.

Now, why we see this "bug out" extremely consistently and reliably, and others see it never, I cannot say and don't really care. Further, I have no interest in arguing with people whose whole interpretation boils down to "get good" based on their experience of not running into whatever conditions cause the script to break.

But its clear its broken, its clear where the problem is coming from, and with that additional information I suspect Absor/Ngreth and the powers that be will have an easier time finding it. And in the meantime, we've got a functional workaround that will be easily repeatable. And if any other guild is struggling to beat it due to the 87% "bug out" conditions, just look me up and I'll happily go into details about what we are using as our current workaround.
    Fenthen, Yinla and Vumad like this.
  13. Szilent Augur

it also only ever happens after you successfully heal the tank, rune the raid, thump your feet on the floor nervously, and say out loud "I hope he doesn't lock"

:rolleyes:

Just like Maedhros's RotE, and just like every other guild that has won, Silent Redemption has successfully delivered the shadow orbs to the shadow aura every(ish) time across multiple wins each.
    adetia likes this.
  14. adetia Monkess Wonder, Ruler of All

Which exactly nobody is disputing. But every time it "bugs out" for those that do have this problem, those two things always happen, so its clear that somewhere in there is the issue. that seems to be what most dont get. Great its not bugging for you, take your win, have a nice day. But for those that is, this is good information and easily provides the path to getting around it.
  15. Szilent Augur

It is a red herring.
  16. The real Sandaormo Augur

Even in the RoI video from Day one their raid leader states "I am nervous about this" meaning in my eyes he knew there was something wonky with this raid. People knew it from Beta but no one really wanted to admit it, including Devs. If you beat it, your awesome, if you struggled with the locking bug supposedly you have no idea how to EQ.

If you don't think there is a bug in there, your wrong. Its there, maybe you worked it differently, sped it up or had orbs go in the wrong aura on accident and it didn't bug it or had prior knowledge of a mechanic other than following the exact script. No one is trying to take anything away from the guilds that beat it. Not sure what this attitude about it not being broken is. It's not personal, we are just letting people know our experience with it. This raid IS NOT so Chaotic that only 11 guild had beat it prior to last night.
    Fenthen likes this.
  17. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Didn't the devs already declare that it was a bug when they said they had a fix for it?
  18. Maedhros High King

Rewatching our Twitch from the day the 87% lock happened, it was not only that the Shadow Orb being brought to the aura, it also happened to be on a Shadow Aura call. We were also at 30%, not 40.
    [Tue Feb 16 21:44:04 2021] The massive golem's protective barrier falls.
    [Tue Feb 16 21:44:04 2021] The energy of the shadow orb merges with the pillar and stabilizes some of the pillar energies.
    About 2:09 into Zaks Twitch.
    https://www.twitch.tv/videos/917049924
    I also noticed that on this particular attempt we had a Shadow Aura call at 1:57:25 but that the tank failed to get his Shadow Orb to the Shadow Aura at that time.
    This was prior to the patch though.
    I will have to rewatch from the win last night, but being that we only ever experienced the lock bug once, it would be incredibly odd if every time the Shadow Aura call happened our tank failed to get his Shadow Orb to the aura, but I admit stranger things have happened.

There is just a ton of data to look through for anyone that wants to access this, but these are the pertinent bits.
    You hear a distant roar, causing a shudder to pass through you. (Shadow Aura call)
    The energy of the shadow orb merges with the pillar and stabilizes some of the pillar energies. (Shadow Orb merge).
    The energy of the shadow orb clashes with another energy and disrupts future energies. (Shadow Orb clash).
    There is no message to my knowledge of a failure to get either a merge or a clash on an Orb, you will just find.. nothing.
  19. adetia Monkess Wonder, Ruler of All

yes - we've had these locks happen everywhere from 28% up to just under 80%, but also on every color of aura call for the mass move. Some people just refuse to believe that there is a bug that exists, but they are just wrong.
  20. Barbwarrior Augur

working as intended