zoning graphics

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by howtor, Dec 1, 2018.

1. howtor New Member

been noticing it a lot more lately, when I zone into POK my graphics are grey for about 2-3 seconds (sometimes a couple seconds longer) then once I start moving the correct graphics display. does not happen in any other zone but POK. not a huge issue more of a annoyance lol. thinking it might be lag with communicating with server, any ideas would help

I am running
    ryzen 1700x
    gtx 1070ti 16gb memory
  2. Larkin Lorekeeper

I don't know much about computers but that happens to me sometimes. Rebooting fixes it, so I assume it's caused by my computer. For me, though, it happens in all zones.
  3. Dropfast Augur

This is a setting in options. I can't remember the name atm, but that setting has 2 options basically. Option A, let's you zone faster but doesn't load all textures, they are filled in shortly after you land. Which is what your set on now. Option B, you zone slower and it loads all textures before you land.

If your like me, I could care less about it filling in the textures a little later so that I can zone faster. But if you don't like it, then do it the other way. It's a little funky, you defiantly notice it a lot more in older zones it seems like PoK. In the newer zones, I don't ever get the grayed out textures.

Your computers relative power effects this as well. Faster / more powerful computer will "fill in" the textures so fast that you often won't see the texture-less stuff. Slower / less powerful computers it will prob happen every zone. For whatever reason though, PoK seem to be the worst zone for that
  4. howtor New Member

thank you for the feedback, I am the same not a huge issue for me was just checking
  5. svann Augur

I think there is a real issue with loading of textures. They sometimes do not load until you turn and look at people. I have memory mode set to max so it should be fast. I also have a decent computer with EQ and windows on an SSD. Yet if I zone into pok often when I turn around the people that come into view are grey for a second or two. And its not because I just zoned in. I could be standing there for 10 minutes, but when I turn they are grey. So it really couldnt be that my computer is slow, since those textures should have loaded while I stood there even if I wasnt facing them. But they dont. EQ is waiting until it needs to load them (facing the person) and then it does.
  6. KermittheFroglok Augur

What are your computer specs and what specific graphics/system settings do you have in the client?
  7. svann Augur

core I5-6600k
    8GB ram
    MSI - geoforce gtx 980
    samsung 850 EVO

What specific graphics/system settings are you asking about?
  8. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Yep I used to use this setting on an old computer to help speed up zoning by setting it to least which would give greyed out characters after zoning as the memory would put your character in faster but slower on the rest of the zone graphics. This is from Fanra suggested settings:

Memory Mode (Least, Balanced, Most) - This setting determines how much memory (RAM) EQ will use. If you have a lot of memory and a 64 bit Operating System, you can try Most. If you have limited memory, try Least. Note that Least Memory Mode often means that after you zone it will take several seconds for the game to properly draw characters.(Meaning they will be greyed out)
    In 2016, a change was made regarding this: If your client crashed due to running out of memory it'll set itself to Least memory usage so that you won't crash due to out of memory (or at least not as often). (Which will set it to greying out again)

I doubt any newer computers need this setting adjusted any longer but there was the bug recently that caused the game to control that setting without user input so everyone had to manually change it back until the devs fixed that. Lots of greyed out problems then.
  9. svann Augur

Yea, I have had memory mode set to Most for years. Checked it again and it still is. Ive also tried changing it to least and balanced just to see if it might be opposite, but that didnt fix the grey textures.
  10. xcitng Augur

I wish people would afk 24/7 in a zone other than POK which already has a lot going on in it, like oodles of npc, people doing ts, etc. POK is a central zone that a lot of people go to/through to do things and go places.
  11. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

This is a game engine problem, not a zone population problem. People can go AFK where ever they like IMO, regardless of your performance.

I have noticed an uptick in graphics issues. It feels like DBG is having a tough time keeping pace with OS and driver updates.
  12. xcitng Augur

Just lately, again, there has even been some lag doing ts, and with the nps'.
  13. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

I've noticed this as well. But I chalk this up to expansion release. Things always get wonky around expansion release.
  14. svann Augur

Its almost like EQ is ignoring the memory mode setting and just using least instead of most.
  15. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

I think it completely does ignore memory mode.
  16. Buri Augur

This started happening to me too, but only AFTER I upgraded my video card. My old one (Radeon 7950 2G) was getting really laggy, but it didn't do that slow fill thing. I changed it to a GeForce GTX 1060 6G, and all the lag is gone, but I get that slow fill on zoning, esp in POK and GL. Kind of frustrating, I expected more for my money.
    One of my friends just upgraded to a GTX 1050ti 4G, and he doesn't get this effect.
  17. svann Augur

What Im talking about is not slow fill on zoning. Its just not bothering to even try to load the textures until you actually turn and look at them. When zoning to pok I could go afk for 10 minutes and come back and turn and they will be grey for 1-2 second. Thats for sure eq not the hardware.
  18. TarewMarrForever Augur

Yes, there is a setting for this, but there's still a new, recent issue that has been introduced that makes using this setting really annoying.

It is a bug, and I'm pretty sure it is a relatively recent regression. Restarting EQ fixes it. It is not necessary to restart the PC. This proves it's a bug because it doesn't happen immediately upon restart. It takes "cruft" to build within the game instance.

It also only happens much more quickly on machines with nvidia graphics vs. Intel graphics. I don't currently have any machines I play on that have ATI / AMD graphics.

If you leave your toon up in Guild Lobby over night looking at all of the other players, you'll run into the "cruft" much sooner.

One of my laptops has both Intel 5000 chipset as well as a nvidia 1060, and you can choose which is in use. With the nividia, a single night of leaving the game up will cause it to not load excessively slowly upon zone-out into PoK. By slow I mean it takes upwards of 10 seconds to load textures, and they pop in very slowly in "layers". FIrst character models are grey, then after a few seconds the skin mesh loads, then their armor, then head piece, etc. This is a modern machine with fast hardware and blazing nvm SSD. EQ is also barely taxing the CPU at this point.

If I use the intel chipset, it takes 2-3 days for the "cruft" to build, but it eventually does happen. However, game performance is significantly slower on the intel, so I don't use it.

This all started two builds ago, and I haven't changed either GPU drivers in many months, so I'm pretty sure it's a change within the game client itself that introduced this.

To be fair, you could always see a quick, sub-second visibility of missing textures, maybe a second or two. But overnight it became routinly 10+ seconds if you hadn't zoned in a long time, and that never used to happen.

As a result, every day when I go to play after hanging in GL for buffs foir the past half-day or so, I always quit and log back in. A sure-fire workaround, but an annoyance for half-a-dozen toons.
  19. SOLARRICH New Member

This is happening to me also. I have reset my EQ settings and let EQ rebuilt my eqclient.ini file. This "slow fill" or pixilation or whatever we are calling it has to be on EQ's end. My comp is newer and my card is Asus Strix 1060 6G OC. It is happening worse with my new card than my old one. Asus and some forums say that the newer cards are 'tuned' for high FPS performance. EQ doesn't require FPS per-se. I think that the primary problem here is with the new 10 series cards and EQ not adapting to the newer hardware market. If any have any suggestions please gmail me or post.

Rufus
    Povar
    Beastlord Level 110 // AA 37494
  20. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

This is happening to me. Today.
    My system.
    CPU: 5600x
    Mobo: Asus Rog STRIX X570-i
    RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB DDR4-3600 CL16
    GPU: Nvidia Asus Rog STRIX 1660Super
    M.2: Samsung 980 PRO PCIe Gen 4 x 4 NVMe M.2 2280

Most memory usage selected.