Holly Longdale / Blizzard

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Jontrann, Feb 19, 2021.

1. Darchon_Xegony Augur

I think they really would just need to do 4 servers.

Level 60 - Kunark/Velious/Luclin
    Level 65 - PoP/LoY/LDoN/GoD
    Level 70 - OoW/DoN/DoDH/PoR
    Level 75 - TSS/TBS

Agnarr already exists which is basically the level 65 server minus GoD. So you would really just need 3 servers.

Offer a cloning service where you can duplicate your character on a lower server and move them to the next higher level server. Allowing you to continue hanging out in one era and still progress in another era on the next server.
  2. Tweakfour17 Augur

What about TBS+? Thats over half the game missing...
  3. Gnothappening Augur

WoW is 100% different than EQ. WoW is designed for you to have to upgrade your gear three or four times per expansion. The most common drops in the next expansion are on par with the best raid drops from the prior. EQ always felt more like a world while WoW felt like an action game. Some of my favorite things about EQ are that it is often worth it to go back and camp some random drop just because it gives you a unique clicky effect or something. This goes away later on with AA, but for a large part of EQ's lifespan, it was amazing. Also, in EQ earlier expansions do serve a purpose, in wow they don't.
    code-zero likes this.
  4. Gnothappening Augur

Yes, and they would have about a thousand players total within a year. For a vast majority of those who play on a TLP, it is the race that matters. If you could just play on any server in any era you wanted, people would quit in droves.
  5. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I can see how you would overcome the technical limitations I mentioned but that whole concept is not going to work out well for EQ long term.
    For the first wave & a little bit of a catch up population maybe, but after that has passed it will all just wind up as a boring trickle of players as there is no "resevoir" building up to create a new wave.
    You also kill the "annual level of interest" that has been cultivated thus far by the TLP concept.

To overcome that "no reservoir, no new wave" problem you could have a "rolling Wave" where you have just 3 active servers and a 4th in reserve.
    As server 4 opens server 1 is closed & everyone on server 1 moved to server 2, as server 5 opens server 2 is closed & everyone on server 2 is moved to server 3 etc.

I just see a bunch of era-locked feeder servers going very stale & very stagnant quickly.
  6. Machen New Member

The biggest problem is that it eliminates the hype and the rush of TLP expansion releases. New TLP launches are packed, with tons going on. You'd lose that. New expansion launches likewise are exciting times with high levels of activity. Leveling to 50, or 65, or 75, or whatever the new limit is, without having people already max level waiting to powerlevel you.... You'd lose that, entirely and forever.

The second biggest problem is that it eliminates community. It's hard to stay connected with guildmates when everyone is moving through a tiered ladder system at their own pace. It would be very hard to lead a guild through a progressive series of servers. For a game like WOW, where cross server grouping and raiding is already a thing and people are used to playing with people they will never encounter again, that's not a problem. But it would be in EQ.
    Skuz likes this.
  7. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

So much lack of thinking outside the box here.

WoW, Jontrann, and Beimeith are on to something.

First of all, stuffing a 24+ year old, coded in the 90s game full of more and more features, on top of more and more inflated numbers and increased server calculations is not the way®. It's already failing, they're already pulling things out of the game.

The idea that a one to one ratio of server performance after a change like this is totally wrong.

With this layout, many of the servers will be under less stress, from population and being before the era of procs upon procs anyway (as just one example, I know there are many many issues beyond procs).

And with this added benefit, who says you couldn't have more servers?

Who says you can't have a server farm that serves up one single world for everyone, and load balances so in the end performance is much better, and you don't have to pick servers. BUT still have 'rule sets' just as flags that can be set, and you are effectively still in the same 'zone space' but in a different 'Pick Style' instance where FV rules apply (or whatever rule set).

As just one pie in the sky out of the blue wild idea.

--unimportant stuff below--
    When I worked in software development, we'd have design meetings sometimes starting with just 'clear blue skying' ideas.

I like to be the one to throw ideas out there, I don't intend for them to be fully formed, nor am I married to every element of the idea when I present it.

I liked to say. It's better to put a target up to be shot full of holes, than stand back and shoot every idea full of holes.

Sometimes, after the shooting was over and the dust cleared, there was enough left to put it up on the white board and start fleshing it out.
  8. Tensor_Fippy Journeyman

Yeah they let you transfer off to other TLP but not ones closer to PoP which is silly, why would we wont to transfer to a dead TLP that's in SoD+ expans. This company wont even let chars transfer back to Aradune from Riz even though the population isn't overwhelmed like it was on launch. I get that people can mass farm on Riz but at least offer players a chance to switch with no currency. Far as aa's why does that matter its limited and people are paying powerlevelers in the deep on aradune anyways who are breaking boxing rules
  9. Tweakfour17 Augur

Ok, but what does any of that have to do with an idea to have era locked servers you can bounce around to? We have 1, you can leave it. There are no good destinations is your counter argument but that isnt really a counter argument when it's the argument I was making also. There was a demand for a PoP locked server, there is no demand for a server locked past that. 1 or 2 people might think OoW or TSS but no where near enough to justify locking a server there since, as you noted, mid-late era TLPs arent exactly booming.
    Skuz likes this.
  10. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

They already explained why, they created a "rule" that they used to decide which servers could go where.

*** Progression Servers ***

- Players may server transfer between progression servers that are in the same or later expansion and within the same or a less restricted ruleset. True box is more restrictive than servers without it. Free trade (Firiona Vie ruleset) is less restrictive than servers without it. Voting unlock servers are more restrictive than servers without voting. This means:
    - - Characters on any progression server may transfer to live servers.
    - - Characters on Aradune, Agnarr, Coirnav, and Mangler may transfer to Phinigel.
    - - Characters on Aradune and Manger may transfer to Selo.
    - - Characters on Aradune may transfer to Mangler or Rizlona.
    code-zero likes this.
  11. Tensor_Fippy Journeyman

I wouldn't waste your time, Riz is full of mass boxers who play fully automated and afk farm and that is the only reason the population looks high. Pretty sad that Daybreak would endorse a server for cheaters or I would have never started on Riz. I was under the impression that the only difference between Aradune and Riz was 1 was 2 box limited on different pc's and the other was unlimited boxing on 1 pc but both not aloud to have automated boxing or afk game play which is what they told people before the servers launched but seems the only thing they care about now is afk game play and even then its abused heavily
  12. Tensor_Fippy Journeyman

I am just saying Riz shoudl be aloud to transfer to Aradune now and when Aradune is near the end of PoP chars from agnarr should be able to move to Aradune/Riz but this company is so slow at updating this stuff that by the time they let transfers happen its not even worth it
  13. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

The development team set that rule up for a simple reason, that being "consistency", it has to be a consistent rule because they will be using the same criteria for multiple servers, what you are asking for is an ad-hoc exception because it is your personal preference, but you aren't giving any really compelling reasons why it "should be" removed.

For example, consistency is very likely the same reason why they have resisted removing Truebox from every server that has had it despite every single server having had dozens of threads with many players asking for it to be removed, yet at least in that case the players have given many strong & well-reasoned arguments for it being removed.

If you want to be able to transfer back to Aradune from Rizlona you are going to need to come up with at the least a much stronger & more convincing argument than "because I want it" or "because both are on the same era" which is all you have done here.

The argument for transferring from Agnarr to Aradune is more complex because there are restrictions on both servers, though they are different kinds of restrictions Agnarr being era-locked & Aradune being Truebox & 2 player limited on Truebox (at least in theory).

A transfer from Agnarr to Rizlona when the Rizlona server unlocks PoP is also problematic, although Rizlona has a less restrictive ruleset Agnarr characters are likely to have been there a while, be geared to the absolute teeth in BiS PoP gear & could well have amassed a sizeable advantage in currency & assorted tradeable gear, meaning for them to transfer to Rizlona it could have a large impact on Rizlona's economy, if that was considered I would say only allow it once Rizlona has unlocked Gates of Discord and then maybe it would be a "just the shirt on your back" transfer with only what you can wear & carry in your main inventory going with you and none of your bank, or currency moving.
  14. Zinth Augur

sorry to burst ya bouble... we are people that do not cheat that play on that server too... I 3boxed there without any tools and had a blast... everyone I met were really nice and respectful... while in the meantime my friend played on aradune and it was a cesspool... and all the whiny posts on the forum where from.... tadaaaaa. aradune... NOT Rizlona... and I can tell ya that it was a huge headache for CS with all the petitions from that cruddy server...

ya don't need to cheat to box... making hotbuttons is SUPER simple, it's fair some people can't handle more than one char because they get confused or can't keep up... but we are also people that have 3-6 boxed for 2 decades without cheats... it's not that hard. will keyboard passthroughs help? yup... is it needed? nope

and trust me... tons of people on this "friendly" server called Aradune are running all the same cheats as some of the people on Rizlona... boxing is NOT botting... botting is NOT boxing
  15. MMOer Augur

This forum gives gold to the ownership of devs all the time.

They just go DERP.. and it up. again.. and again.

Good on Holy for going over to Bliz and giving gold to them.

Just do the feeder server idea so I can play and stop checking these forums one a month to see if a new TLP is coming out. I dont want to play past POP. I dont want to play on dead servers. Vanilla and populated all year. Make that happen. Get gold.
  16. Tensor_Fippy Journeyman

I also play on Riz and box legit but does that mean I want fully automated mass boxers all over too? no, when they first posted these servers it was made clear ABSOLUTELY no automated game play then after the server launched they changed it to no afk game play because they take advice from these forums which are trolled by the same players who only play TLP for one thing and that RMT. They should really think about maybe reaching out to the real player base in a better way, like maybe using the voting system used on past TLP's to get customer input or by email but limited somehow so people with 30 accounts cant troll it
  17. Tensor_Fippy Journeyman

thats why I said with no currency and if its that big of a deal no gear but thats why i was saying near the end of PoP for agnarr to join. I also don't have any chars on agnarr just Riz but I started out on Aradune. If anything they should at least give the people who transferred to Riz when Aradune was a mess a one time transfer back now that the population is down
    Skuz likes this.
  18. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

That's a decent argument.
    Zinth likes this.
  19. Karreck Somebody

Everquest doesn't have the population to do what Blizzard is doing. Even chunking out the expansions into groups, the turn over rate for older servers will be high as they start feeling more and more like ghost towns.
    Skuz likes this.
  20. Darchon_Xegony Augur

The population of TLPs in SoF+ eras is why those servers aren't a good idea. Also you are limited to just 1-2 expansions worth of useful content.

Whereas in the Level 60, 65, 70, and 75 you have multiple expansions of useful content.