How do you quest in EverQuest?

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Kings-FP, Feb 19, 2021.

1. Kings-FP New Member

Hello!

As you all can probably tell by my dashing forum post of ~One~ I am completely knew to this game! I have never played EverQuest up until this point in my life! Which, now having played, I am having a great time! Sadly, however, I need some help trying to figure out how to play this game as World of Warcraft and Final Fantasy XIV have completely spoiled me with their clearly marked quest givers, but, I for one can't seem to find any quest givers. Now, totes obvi I tried to look up this information on YouTube and Google for the specific class and starting area quests that I am in, but can't actually find anything besides how to made money. Which, let's be honest, we all got a little time for that.

But I'm getting a little frustrated as I can't find these answers. I have figured out by watching these videos that named NPC's without parentheses are likely the culprit and figuring out how to hale them, I'm only finding quest givers who require items to continue a quest.

Now, being a semi-veteran to MMO's, I know that a grind is sometimes required to get to quests, or new areas, but if I'm being honest, not being able to do or find these quests is getting a little aggravating as I do want to experience this game.

Another, small thing that I can't figure out is how to use the chat. Now, obvi I know how to use chat. Let's be real, it's not that hard, but, what I can't figure out is how to talk in other chats, such as general, New Player, and other chats that people are communicating in.

If anyone could help me out and point me in any direction, I would greatly appreciate the information!

<3 Kings
  2. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

What server are you on, and what starting area are you in? On most servers you can start in the tutorial zone, the Gloomingdeep Mines. Quest givers are pretty clearly marked. Just hail them and follow their dialogue prompts.

To speak in universal chat channels, check the number at the end of the channel name. For example if the channel is coming up as General:1 then that is channel #1. To speak in it you use /1. Like /1 Hello guys.
  3. Kings-FP New Member

Oh my! Such a quick reply! I was not expecting this for at least hours!

The server I am on is Aradune and my starting area is Erudin. I did notice the turtorial zone option when I was creating my character, but it is greyed out for me. I'm assuming because I'm not on a Live server and on a progression one. :thinking:
  4. Karhar Dream Crusher

You are correct on the no tutorial for aradune, as the gear that comes out of that area isn't at all classic :) You can check out websites like https://everquest.allakhazam.com/, if you are a spell caster http://hh.destef.com/spells/?eraID=4 for aradune this website would help tremendously.

You can also use /list to see what chat channels you are in.
  5. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

You can also change your chat channels by right clicking in the little chat line then on the drop down pick channels then pick which one you want to talk in. That for me is far easier than the number versions

After you hail a Quest giver you need to talk to them so you use /say or click the highlighted words in their text.

To find quests I would use Allah like mentioned above. But what I look up on Allah is the zone I am in or want to go to and then at the top of that page are tabs which say "quest in: and "quests starting in". So I look thru those and see what looks interesting, click on it and will be a walk thru. Always read the comments others have posted under the walk thru as that will have really good info most times.

Do you have a "achievements" button on the lower portion of your character screen? Not sure if you do for TLP servers but if you do that will have a listing of quests to do.

Also it would not take long, but you can make a different level 1 character on a live server and do just a portion of the tutorial - like just the npc's in the middle and that will help a lot. Then go back to your main on Aradune.
  6. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

The reality is early EQ (like what Aradune is on currently) is much more about grinding mobs and camping gear than it is about completing quests. There certainly are SOME very worthwhile quests to do, but those tend to come in at the mid and upper levels. You could very easily just grind from level 1-30 or so without doing a single quest, and in many cases that is the most efficient choice. Newbie quests tend to offer very trivial rewards, like a bit of coin, faction, or maybe some cloth armor or something that you could have gotten by just killing mobs. For a lot of classes, the first quests people deem worthwhile start off in Temple of Solusek Ro. These are typically for characters around level 25-45 or so. List is here:
    https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/qsearch.html?zone=10

EDIT: let us know what class you're playing and you could probably get some more specific quest suggestions
  7. Kings-FP New Member

Sorry for the long wait for my reply, but I have a Lv3 magician, and a Lv2 Bard (can you guess which is used for making money :p )

But I also have no problems switching to a live server just to get through that beginners tutorial.

Edit- But thank you everyone who but time and effort into helping me out with this! I'd like to say that I'll hop into the game and try all this stuff out but sadly, my computer is one of the ones that does the black screen after server select, so once I can actually get back into the game, I will try all this info <3
  8. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

The original game and couple expansions had a completely different "vision" of mmorpgs. The idea was a large world where almost NOTHING was documented, very few hints. For example, tradeskills, nothing stacked, most things were heavy, the clicking was manual, you had to use trial and error to find recipes (put items in a tradeskill container that do not combine, click combine, it would eat everything, and give you a message that the items did not create anything together), so fan sites popped up where players pooled there knowledge.

The /ooc (out of character) chat filter was used constantly in zones where people would ask questions and get help from other players about what to do, where to go, how to deal with things.

So there is very little hand holding, and most of the people playing on aradune have played the game before, and they zoom through those early levels.

There are two real options here:

1) Stay on aradune, because there will be a lot more people in the lower levels to play with, but you have to pay to play on the server, and the server will level past you quickly if you aren't constantly playing

2) Move to a live server, which you can do free to play for months to years (depending on your play time) before you ever really "need" to subscribe (subscribing has benefits, and if you don't care about the cost, its worth it, just for many that barely play or put their toes in, maybe isn't worth paying monthly), then you can take your time in the tutorial, and you'll come out of that after doing all the quests with gear as good as level 50 gets on aradune, when you're level 10-13 or so, with some knowledge of how the game works, etc

So depends on what you're doing. If you're already boxing, and willing to sub, if you're a true newbie, I think you'd have a better time on a live server, especially if you can find a couple people to chat with and play with, or a mega guild to join just to be around people talking. But it depends on what you're after. If a new progression server came out, then I'd say it probably would be more fun to start there, but aradune has been out awhile now.
  9. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Could be you need the direct x 9c although it apparently was discontinued by microsoft there is still a link here
    https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/microsoft_directx.html

I would suggest you post this in player support - there are a lot of posters who help others there and they will have some suggestions to get you back up and running.
  10. Vumad Cape Wearer

What yepmetoo said. Original EverQuest was more like an RPG skin on a chat room. The game focused heavily on downtime, like meditating, because people would socialize a lot during those times. It was designed much more RPG, so information was sparse. You were dropped into a world and had to figure things out and meet people and actually ask those people for help. The game has evolved a lot since then, but the progression servers have more of that feel.

On live servers, you will see the tutorial quests and the hero's journey quest line. Those quests are a lot more modern. You will have a task window that lets you know you have a quest and what step you are on like modern MMOs. It's easier and more polished but it is also much more linear.

One is not better than the other, but knowing the differences are good. You might love being new to EQ on a progression server. It's a lot more, um, exciting in the sense of discovery and exploration. It's all new and completely non-linear which is how most of us got to experience it, and it was great. It will be a lot more mob killing than questing but it really creates an organic feel of wonder that doesn't exist in more quest focused games. One thing I noticed about WoW, is that by constantly moving quest to quest, I interacted with people and the world less. It was nice, but it wasn't.