CoV Luck Aug / ToV Type 19 Ore Ratio and Drop Rate Discussion

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Rylak, Feb 19, 2021.

1. Rylak Elder

So, I've got 8 runs under my belt, which is probably in line or on the low end of others who have been doing raid trash clears. Talking with others, my data seems to be somewhat inline with theirs...

CoV Luck Aug Runs
    Date Zone Luck Ore
    22-Jan DN 2 3
    31-Jan DN 1 3
    6-Feb ToV 1 2
    6-Feb SS 1 7
    10-Feb WW 2 2
    12-Feb SS 0 2
    16-Feb WW 1 4
    18-Feb SS 0 3
    Total 8 26

So first thing, the ratio seems completely out of whack. a 3:1 rate on getting something from last expansion over this expansion? Come on. I get that some people MAY still be working on TBL evolves and/or ToV earring and need a few, but not at this rate. Especially in an expansion where raiders doing these clears are likely to retire a few of these items in favor of the 15 luck non-visibles sooner rather than later. For people and guilds that enjoy grouping to get these items even though it may be overkill to have more than 1 group, this is not a good incentive rate to provide meaning to their time.

I'm not sure how the drop check is done (i.e. luck aug and ore have independent chances of dropping, or if drop check is made and then 2nd check to determine luck aug or ore), but maybe this can be looked at. Maybe it will improve (specifically the luck aug drop rate) in June when they inflate drop rates on chest ores and raid loot. But this is really bad, and even worse than ToV, so I think it is worth looking into by a Dev.

On a larger note, it seems to be the decision of the team (maybe even isolated down to one or two Devs - who knows?) over the last 2 expansions to now string the same item gains from previous expansions out over longer periods of time. Mission coin rates have severly fallen off where they were the last 2 expansions. CoV saw it even worse with the initial 2.5x raid coin prices for CoV which completely backloaded and marginalized the quarterly coin increase put in just the expansion before. (Ya I know you reduced it 20%, whoopie). Itemization has always been a core issue of Devs vs. players over the course of EQ. It had been trending in better ways with the launch of raid coin many expansions ago and further improved with staged increases in ToV. I really don't understand the decision to so rapidly walk it back, and in many cases make it worse than it was. Do you (single or plural), really even have a plan?
  2. Cadman Elder

I've only done 2 clears so far, zero augs in the first, one aug in the second.

Does feel like the drop rate is much much lower than ToV (we'd regularly see 4 per clear of tofs)
  3. Drakang Augur

Was just going to post something like this.
    Had 3 Guild Groups clear all 4 instances. One got 3 luck augs in Skyshrine and nothing in the other 3. Another got 4 in WW and nothing in the other three. Mine did 3 raids with nothing then got 2 At the very end of TOV.

If you managed to keep the same group together and farmed all 4 instances every week if you averaged 3 per week thats 20 weeks of farming for 6 people to max luck. Not everybody has a set group. Plus for raiders to do this making sure you have somebody with the loot lockout at raid time to avoid everybody else in the raid getting one and blocking them from farming it. Add in DN JUST SUCKS to clear lol. (No CC method. Snare blocked, Move Mountains/Hates Attraction etc blocked. Makes for alot of 3 pulls of nasty mobs. And the few sneaky rogues in there that backstab for 180K.)

But the drop rate in COV is much lower than what we saw in TOV.

Also I think the bricks could be removed from COV raids. If I wanted to get bricks I would rather do TOV anyway as they are much easier than most of the COV trash.

I am fine with the raid coin thing. TOV was the first time where there was enough coin given out for people to do alot of their gearing up with coin. Remembering back the idea was giving a way to get that item that was just not dropping for you or that you kept loosing out on. Not doing 1/3 to half your gear using it.
  4. Cragzop Cranky Wizard

Until I see Ngreth (or another dev) post what the higher levels of luck percentages actually do -or- an enterprising EQ player (**cough**Sancus**cough**) break down what they see in testing, I'm happy with my one luck aug.

The return on luck was pretty much a log(x) function from the last round of tables I saw...and we were pretty much on the flat part already an expansion ago.

My personal experience has been the same as others. You get an instance with 2-4 luck augs and then more 0-1 ones ... with more ores dropping than luck augs in all cases.
  5. Zeelot Elder

Rate of drop is definitely lower than it was in TOV, but it's not impossible. A guildie and I maxed out our luck augs yesterday. We have been running all the zone instances since they started dropping.

Didn't take detailed notes but there were a number of runs with 0 drops and we also had one run with 4 drop. Most clears seemed to net 1 and sometimes 2. A disproportionate number of ores dropped though.
  6. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

"Content."
  7. Lianeb Augur

For the return on maxing the luck augs compared to spending multiple hours of farming 2mil in fusing. And having it obsolete with 1 drop next year, I chose to farm one and done.

Maybe if I find myself super bored I will farm them later but at that point who cares what the drop rate is.
  8. Sancus Augur

170 luck was 39 to 42% critical damage on beta, which means up to that point it is very likely using the same scaling as the ToV buckets (+1% to min/max per bucket). The highest achievable bucket with CoV is 180 luck, but the new luck augs weren't easily available on beta to test. It'll likely be a while before anyone can confirm the scaling is the same for that bucket, but if it is then it would be 40 to 43%.

In other words yes, the benefit is extremely small, and a very poor return for the amount of time it takes to farm a full set of luck augs. That's especially true if you're trying to farm a complete set for a group of real players (as opposed to boxing it and funneling it to one character). In ToV these instances also gave Type 19 ores that people needed and evolving XP. In CoV most finished their relevant AA in the first week and were completely maxed soon after. XP isn't useful and there are no new Type 19 augs. That makes the return on time very poor for clearing trash in these raid instances relative to in ToV, and I suspect very few will bother with them.
    OldCa61, Sokki, FawnTemplar and 2 others like this.
  9. Cragzop Cranky Wizard

You da best man!
    Sancus likes this.