Recommendation: create a Foraging merchant

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Yahsha, Feb 19, 2021.

1. Yahsha Journeyman

Recommend there be a foraging merchant created in the Plane of Knowledge that sells Foraged materials.

Making trade skill items/quests that require foraged items that are effectively locked into two classes creates an unnecessary reliance on those classes. At least with Enchanted materials you can rely on a Guildmate or Friend to cast the spells for you. No Druid or Ranger is going to dedicate hours repetitively clicking a button for you in some far off zone - unless you create and level one yourself.

The game should be enjoyable on the character you create. If you choose to do trade skills then you shouldn't be forced to create another class to satisfy a large component of this activity. If the game population supported a free market where these items could be purchased in the bazaar it could be overcome. But it doesn't. Therefore I believe an in game solution to the matter, a foraging materials merchant would reduce the need to create and level a Ranger or Druid to enjoy trade skilling as an activity.
  2. Svann2 The Magnificent

Wouldnt that effectively remove foraging from the game?
    HoodenShuklak, Yinla, Fenthen and 7 others like this.
  3. KrakenReality Augur

The only people foraging are bots.
  4. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Uh-
    With the Secrets of Faydwer expansion, all races have the ability to forage, but an AA has to be purchased.

And if that is not good enough then buy it in the baz - that is one of the few ways some players can make any plat and even then its not much
    cadres, Yinla, Fenthen and 1 other person like this.
  5. Zamiam Augur

sometimes I just have to LET IT GO and walk away!! just let it go Zam
  6. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Everyone can forage, but only 2 classes are actually good at it.

I made a Forage bot on each of my 5 accounts because if you want foraged items that's just what you inevitably end up having to do to ever get enough of them in useful amounts.

I do not think that a vendor is a good option but the fact that so many players make forage bots is the counterpoint to that.

Foraging has been a game mechanic for a long time but reducing the number of forage bots might be useful to reduce server loads.

Maybe offline forage bots could be a thing, perhaps these could be "engineered" to have a far lower processing load on the server and you would be limited to 1 per account much like trader / barter character, it would certainly be a more "Green" option that the current way most people obtain forage items.
    HoodenShuklak and Vumad like this.
  7. Mazame Augur

Make a forage / auto inventory macro and Link it to your turn left or right key. during normal game play you you will be socked with how fast your bags fill up with Foraged items.

Your will get plenty of items need for the content your doing.

If your playing catch up on old TS then yes it can be a bit to get what your seeking but I known a number of people that have done it in 3-4 months of working TS to max there AP.. They all ben able to get the forage items.

Tips
    use /baz.
    Ask in /general (many items the items are rotting in some one bank and if you ask you can get them)
    Forage

if worst comes to worst skip over said item. and complete the rest of the items. in each TS there is a number of items you do not have to make and you can still max the AP.
    FawnTemplar, Froglok and Aanuvane like this.
  8. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

9. Kase Augur

I forage all the time... I disagree no forage vendor. Too many ideas lately that would change to basics of the game be floated around. Don't get me wrong I'm all for ideas... but not for changing the basic mechanics.
    Corwyhn Lionheart, Froglok and Mazame like this.
  10. Froglok Augur

This remove Foraging as an aspect of the game, further eliminate a level of challenge (make everything an easy button = no sense of accomplishment = little desire to play) and eliminate the income some players earn in Bazaar to support their other needs / wants.

Also, I am not sure about this, but doesn't Overseer included foraged TS items (to include foraged ones) from past expansions as possible reward?
    Kase likes this.
  11. KrakenReality Augur

Foraging is literally an easy button with no sense of accomplishment. I don’t understand your rant.
  12. Petalonyx Augur

Introducing Farshia Attimilgaard, the rare forage item merchant!
    Jhenna_BB likes this.
  13. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Sorta Yes a little bit, but mostly no.

Things like Ethernere Essence / Relic Fragments can be gained via overseer & can be foraged or found on mobs you kill, but the vast majority of foraged items are not available from overseer at all.
  14. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Good name, I'd have gone with Erma Gerd (Forage Thief) Randomly appears in different zones & has items for 24 hours then vanishes for a day and reappears somewhere else.
  15. Zynt Augur

I hate hitting my forage macro every 2 ish minutes for hours on end while I watch Netflix but I refuse to use an autoforage script. I don't even use /autoinventory I just dump them all every time the macro runs its course of 3 foraging attempts. I'll look in the bazaar for things like Misty Thicket acorns and see the same person selling thousands of them just like they're selling thousands of limes and other forages and I get tempted. I don't even want to sell them I just want to spend less time mindlessly foraging. The whole tie it to a direction key and forage while you play isn't even a viable option since nobody is "playing" in Misty Thicket or The Nest. That being said, a forage merchant is not something I think is a good idea. I think decreasing the number of items on certain zones forage table would be much better. That and possibly increasing the forage chance for the items, like mentioned above, that are used in current expansion trade skills.,
    KrakenReality likes this.
  16. KrakenReality Augur

I forage too, but I run 3 FTP druids to do it while I do other stuff. Pretty solid game design.
    Fenthen likes this.
  17. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Or they could make other classes/races better at foraging. I mean, its not like its a class defining ability like porting or anything...:p
  18. Yahsha Journeyman

I agree that providing a foraging merchant will have a severe impact on the utility of the skill; however, it is still 'free' access to a TS item vs. paying plat.

Could argue that the merchant prices be heavy enough to still make actual foraging a cost saving activity.
  19. Svann2 The Magnificent

They do have some foraged mats for sale on the WW vendor. Limited supplies but if you keep checking back you should be able to find them available. Especially if you get there when a pick first opens. Not current expac stuff tho.
    Zynt likes this.
  20. Vumad Cape Wearer

Player: Let's add forage vendors to the game.

Community: No, that would undermine druids and rangers!

Devs: Lets add hundreds of illusion items to the game

Enchanters: No, that would undermine a key part...

Community: Shhhh, Lets hear them out on this...

I'm not in support of the forage merchant, but anytime someone argues against something because it belongs to a class, I can't help but be annoyed by what has happened with illusions. Everyone should be able to track, forage, alchemy or wtf/e because the enchanter niche didn't count for jack. Oh wait, no, we still get to cast the same spell over and over to enchant crap for people. Add an enchanted item merchant to the game, enchanters definitely wont complain.
    Wyre Wintermute and Svann2 like this.