How come...

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Zynt, Feb 18, 2021.

1. Zynt Augur

When I want to float levitate seems to not work worth Gnome spit but when I don't want to float levitate is the bixie's knees?
  2. Gherig Addicted since Aug 1st, 1998

This might seem obvious but its like swimming, is your character looking forward, up or down? Levitate tends to stay "up" better and longer if your looking ahead or some what up. Also it seems some zones levitate seems to work better then others.
    Zynt likes this.
  3. Zynt Augur

I'm not really trying to do either. It just seems like some zones I sink straight to the ground (Even in zones where Lev works) and then in some zones I'm constantly rising. I notice it in tunnels in Warsilk's. I was constantly having to hit the "end" button or I was getting stuck on the tunnel ceiling.
  4. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

Can also be affected by framerate. Older, less complex zones tend to have better framerate, especially if you're playing on an older PC. Better framerate = less sinking.
    Gherig and Zynt like this.
  5. Zynt Augur

Speaking of PCs - How does an SSD affect EQ load times, zoning, etc...? I'm due an upgrade and I'm sure I'll get an SSD regardless but I was wondering.
  6. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

I'm no expert, but afaik getting a SSD is the biggest improvement you can make for zoning/loading times, other than possibly improving your internet speed if it's very low.
    Zynt likes this.
  7. Svann2 The Magnificent

When I want to stay up i go 1st person and look up a little. If I need to be in 3rd person then I first go 1st person, look up, and then switch back to 3rd person. It seems to remember what direction I was facing up or down when I was last in 1st person view.
    Gherig and Zynt like this.
  8. Tatanka Joe Schmo

You're describing exactly what Gherig was talking about.

Remember that, if you're using 3rd person camera (i.e. you have the mouse scrolled back so that the camera is behind you), the angle of the camera is now no longer the same as the actual angle you're facing. So, you're probably facing straight forward, meaning you fall VERY slowly. But you think you're angled down, because that's what the camera angle shows.

If using 3rd person, look a bit downward first before scrolling the camera back.

And you're never "rising". Lev let's you float down, very slowly, but there's no way to go up unless there's ground to walk on. Which, in the tunnels example, may be what's happening. If the walls are slightly out of vertical, where you can angle up them, you may be gaining altitude from that. And then, of course, the lev doesn't let you come down too fast, so it seems like you're "rising".
    Zynt likes this.
  9. Riou EQResource

It makes almost 0 difference in EQ, zone times are effected by other stuff significantly more then storage speed, mostly in the amount of stuff your character has saved on you server side (items on you, items in bank, etc), the more advanced your character the longer it takes,

Basically unless your PC is absolutely ancient (like some 15 year old thing) or you're on 56k the specs wont really effect that to any appreciable degree
    Zynt likes this.
  10. Metanis Bad Company

I'm not going to argue with you but I'm sure glad I've got an NVMe PCI-e SSD with a data transfer rate something like 4 times as fast as the fastest mechanical hard drive.

Everquest may not care but the 150 other Windows tasks running sure loves it.
    Zynt likes this.
  11. Febb Augur

You hard drive speed really is based off what you have now as a hard drive vs what tech your current motherboard uses for a ssd slot. If you're still using a 5400 RPM drive and looking to upgrade, yes the SSD will be much quicker.
    Zynt likes this.
  12. Accipiter Old Timer

This is the biggest factor, IMO. When my boxes are on autofollow the characters on the lower performing laptops always sink. Pretty quickly, too.
    Zynt likes this.
  13. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Framerate is key. If you can sustain 40fps or higher, your fall rate while levitating will be normal. Lower framerates causes the fall rate to increase.
    Zynt likes this.
  14. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Reminds me of the early days of EQ. Would port to DL and run to meet friends at KC. I'd hit the ground (with lev) WAY before I got to KC, once I got out of the mountains. Then I got a new PC, around 2001, and the first time I made that trip, I was still way up in the air when I got to KC. And then the real fun began. While I was typing to my guildies about what I'd found out with the new PC, I slowly floated down into KC. INTO, not on top of. There's no roof on KC in the DL zone, so I floated down within the walls, with no way out. Had to re-port to DL, and make the whole run again LOL
    Accipiter and Zynt like this.
  15. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

This is a great point, even if you don't put EQ on an SSD, your OS should always be on one. Even my second PC, which is mostly a potato, has a 100gb SSD for the OS. I haven't moved up to NVMe on any of my systems yet, but that's the next step.
    Metanis and Zynt like this.
  16. Zynt Augur

That's the main reason I'm doing it honestly. I don't really play any other games besides EQ1 and 2. My bandwidth is great for my area but it just seems that I don't really zone any faster than I did back in '99 when I was playing on a Packard Bell. That could just be my 44 year old brain misremembering things from my 22 year old brain though.
    Metanis likes this.
  17. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

There's really no good reason not to switch to solid-state. 500GB SATA SSD for $50 is a steal, and a direct upgrade for most people using HDDs (SATA port required).

The computing experience is so much better.

How to Copy Your Windows Installation to an SSD.
    Gherig likes this.
  18. Gherig Addicted since Aug 1st, 1998

Getting an SSD and then moving your operating System to it is almost like buying a new computer in speed and response. If you can afford just one SSD and that is it, get it for just your OS and use your other drive for your other stuff. OS benefits greatly from SSD and will pretty much makes everything you do on your computer better.
  19. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

OS on SSD vs OS on HDD is like night & day, I actually have 2 SSD & 1 HDD in each of my 2 desktops, 1 small one for the OS & a bigger one for the games I regularly play, MMORPG on SSD are so much nicer to play vs having them on HDD, especially if they are "zoned" like EQ is.