Will we ever see another Selos style server?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Sethisto, Feb 12, 2021.

1. FranktheBank Augur

We made it with barely one raiding guild lmao
  2. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Barely making live with one raid guild intact with the Selo ruleset is what makes me think an even faster server wouldn't make it, particularly if it also retained Truebox for the whole duration., but probably even if Truebox was turned off in DoDH it still wouldn't have enough impetus & high enough population "critical mass" to pull it off.

Anything faster than the current Selo speed would very likely put off all of the players who quit the Selo server the first time, so the server would have an even worse starting population out the gate than Selo had - which makes the chance any raiding guilds survive to live an even more unlikely prospect, and on top of that they'd have an extra expansion or so to work through over Selo because very year another EQ expansion is launched.

So while its always good to see feedback & ideas I think the "Faster than Selo TLP server" idea is dead on arrival.
    Zinth likes this.
  3. FranktheBank Augur

I wouldnt mind them trying a crazy fast unlock pace and just capping it at 90d or something.

Super fast xp, like 5x Selo. 5-10x rares/factions. Unlocks happen as soon as the current expac is "beaten" (Kunark unlocks when Phinny/Vox/Naggy/Yael/Eye/Overseer are killed) It would be a hardcore server and probably pretty toxic, but it would be very temporary.
  4. yerm Augur

Quarm had zero incentive to provide the company with money. There are things that could have made it work, like having cash shop items that are one-offs on quarm and you get a claimable copy on other servers, so that people don't feel like there's no point to buying bags and stuff on a limited time character. Obviously given the way quarm was released it wasn't going to garner more than a few 90c potion grabs; that didn't have to be the case.

The people who didn't quit selo by and large never did so because it was too fast. They did it either because they were in for the race and the race ended, or because the halved lockouts meant it was too much of a commitment to maintain. The server's initial advertised mindset was a "casual friendly" server where you can breeze through expansions - half lockouts did the exact opposite. If they drop the half lockout routine and instead put in either massive loot increases or currency vendors or something similar, so that people can breeze through expansions with LESS raiding than typical, it'll win people to it.
  5. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I think the halved lockouts was how the dev team saw a method for "doubling loot" without having to spend a huge amount of dev time researching checking & confirming all the raid mob loot tables for like 25 expansions.

Doubling or Tripling loot from individual mobs/events/chests is not a feasible idea until the dev team can invent a way to have multipliers for each mobs loot table per mob, per zone, per expansion on mob-dropped loot or a way to duplicate chests later on and as far as I know they don't have a way to do that at the moment - for expansions prior to ToV anyway where it was first done on a event timer,.

Underfoot was where Ngreth did it retroactively by hand & only because he actually had the drop table info to hand for that expansion, even then he said it was a lot of work.
  6. yerm Augur

I don't know if this is even doable and/or how bad... but what if mobs "died twice" instead? So you kill vulak, and that vulak dies, and another vulak also dies. 2 corpses. 2 faction hits. Even if it was the same corpse and you got stuck with 2x of each drop instead of 2 sets of the larger table I'd be happy with it.

I realize that spawning stuff like chests is an event so it'd be a world of trouble to double chest spawns, but what about chest deaths??
  7. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I am not sure if what you suggest can be done or not. I am thinking that a script could be added to generate a chest of additional loot on later raids but how you would do it with mob corpse loots I really don't know.

I think it is worth the devs looking into adding into raid events some way to automate "loot multiplier solutions" though, as it will allow for more creativity with TLP rulesets.
    Halving the unlocks is not really going to suit any players except an audience that can commit to basically twice the raiding frequency of any other server, and 2 day unlocks would be an even smaller audience again.

I think Halved lockouts are great as a very short term measure, like we have had on servers for a week or so once or twice each year as part of annual events.
  8. Rage Lorekeeper

Half lockouts were important for more than just raids. Doing stuff like Sepulcher progression or TBM prog the half lockouts help, not too mention farming things like fight fire for chase items, any missions from TBM onwards for currency for type 5s or just farming an easy mission more often for loot. If its too much trouble to double loot on raids there is no way they are going through to change group stuff.

A further increase to currency would be an easy way to fix things in later expansions, double or triple what you have now and you would be getting a ton of gear from currency on your whole raid. This would still leave issues in the SoF > HoT eras but would be a partial solution at least.
  9. FranktheBank Augur

Man, Sepulcher.. What a toxic partisan, holy crap. Things like that would be doubled or even tripled with normal lockouts.
  10. Zinth Augur

or 2 make it more fun... 2 of each mob on the same time :D make stuff more fun and challenging :D
  11. Lejaun Augur

Lord Yelinak occasionally does that.
  12. Zinth Augur

oh yeah been there done that, it for sure makes it "interesting" :D
  13. Pappasalt Augur

One guild left on Selo was primarily to how poor communication was. I mean you guys didn't even find out what was going to happen with the server until one month before it hit live lol.

That and burn out of course. I mean even only raiding 2-3/week still burns people out after 2 years straight. People saying you HAD to raid a ton to keep up was wrong, the re-gearing through grouping/leveling/aa'ing was the real burn out when it came to "keeping up" and that wasn't even counting raid unlocks/tasks/etc. Raiding was honestly the easy part lol.

But with their lack of even taking truebox off the server late into it was a large death. On top of not even being able to communicate any information about the server. Company is god awful in terms of actually talking with their playerbase. They should thank god they at least have Dreamweaver.
  14. Pappasalt Augur