Wizard Love

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Mazame, Feb 12, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kizant Augur

Maybe but I'm pretty confident I could hit around 2.7 to 2.8 million on a single target burn with the changes to be competitive and Wizards would have a small advantage with 1 or 2 adds. I'd rather not make an OP class that needs nerfs. Although, I do like the idea of a SPA 507 familiar buff and maybe some better increases than I listed.
    Sancus likes this.
  2. Beimeith Lord of the Game

Keep in mind that most Wizards are not in the same position as you or me, with full adps support and every proc aug farmed, etc.
    kizant likes this.
  3. Darkerknight Lorekeeper

This. All of this.

Specifically Mana Burn. Remove the Mana Cost and at least bring it up to par with HT.
  4. Gialana Augur

My wizard has "Focus: Vortexes" at level 14/14, which increases the base damage of vortexes by the same amount as the other focus lines. Is that not what you meant?

As for the rest of your post, which I didn't quote, I think it includes great ideas.
    Yinla likes this.
  5. Beimeith Lord of the Game

Sorry, that was supposed to be Composite.

Part of the reason it's so bad vs something with half the base damage like Ethereal is that it doesn't have a focus line.

Vortexes they should either A) remove the 24 proc limit because they get eaten up by every other class on raids or B) restore the original restriction that it only buffs Wizard spells.
    Yinla likes this.
  6. WeezFv Lorekeeper

<3 wizzies but you all not gettin any lubzin this patch, think the numbers are around 18-10% decrease just from this patch alone. i dont say this to be a jerk but ,.. they love melee moar.
  7. Kelset Elder

Not too mention you guys are at the top of the game from understanding the mechanics :)
  8. Gialana Augur

That makes sense. I only have composite 3 currently but don't use it. It doesn't make sense to load a spell that uses 2 to 3 times the mana, can only be cast once a minute, has a longer cast time, and usually does less damage then even restless ice comet.
    Ulrin and kizant like this.
  9. Petalonyx Augur

I think Wizard has perhaps the worst progressive spell in game. At least the other bad ones have niche usefulness.
  10. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

They have the worst epics and worst traps, why break the trend?
  11. Szilent Augur

As a hard hitting super-Concussion, I find wizards' progressive spell pretty much as "niche" as magician & bard ones.
    Sancus likes this.
  12. eqgamer Augur

For some reason when I read this I heard you saying this like the blond hair yuppie dude at the Harvard bar in Goodwill Hunting.
  13. GoneFission Augur

If the devs implemented everything Kizant and Beimeith are suggesting, what would wizards become?

Competitive. They’d become a viable dps class.
    Chanteren and Zinth like this.
  14. Zinth Augur

but you can use guildportal for that?
  15. Zinth Augur

NO!

Shorter casting time, BIGGER damage... longer recast... having to stand there for 5-6-7-8+ seconds to cast a spell when you have to "move here or die instantly" duck and move or die instantly" and whatever else the raids toss at you all the time, ya don't need to have to stand longer... having to perfectly time your cast unless you have to move and do 0 damage at all because you had to move or die instantly...

the recast will still mean you can't toss tons out... you CAN however burn hard with ALL your nukes on different fast cast times long recast... but lets say (pulling out of my rear nougat star) 30s recast 1,5s cast and 10 different nukes on your spell bar, where maybe 5 of em are the new type, you can do one helluwa burn (and agro whoring) but be out of commission for a bit... make them mana "expensive" for these fast hardhitting ones so you can't just chain em for 10 hours on end... but actually cost mana and have to thread in some "concussion" agro dumping and such.
    Jumbur and GoneFission like this.
  16. Darkerknight Lorekeeper

Honestly, I think most classes have too many lines of AA's, Spells, etc. I think every caster class could benefit from some consolidation/cleanup.
    Quality > Quantity
    Zinth likes this.
  17. Petalonyx Augur

Having the long cast option is not the same thing (at all) as increasing cast times across the board. i'd personally like to see the option introduced as a real bomb.

The longer cast time would be the risk (not just the cost) for a greater payout (assuming appropriately tuned per-cast dmg values). The player needs to weigh the risk of wasting the cast time if they may need to move, interrupt, get stunned, or the mob deaggros/dies. It's about thinking ahead and predicting future conditions, not twitchy multibind spam.

And, it would have the incidental benefit of reducing lag from #casts and #procs.

It would be fitting if wizards were effective at both short cast resource dump burns and longer cast bombs.
  18. Zinth Augur

I used to play a wizard... long cast times are NOT fun... neither are 15 second buff casttimes and so on semi long... fine, but when stuff gets above 5 seconds = starts falling asleep instead of playing the game
  19. Travestii Elder

As much as I love the idea of a the long cast meganuke, current day raid and mission mechanics simply do not allow for landing long cast time spells. Even the "medium" cast times that ethereals have get frequently interrupted out of the necessity to respond to mechanics. It just doesn't have a place in current gameplay, except possibly in the form of Manaburn.
    Waring_McMarrin and Yinla like this.
  20. kizant Augur

The other thing is that, after they're done with proc changes, it's safe to say we're not causing the problem. Reducing our cast times isn't going to do much. There's melee and swarm pets that are attacking like 5x as often as we are.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.