AFK Checks

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by jack of all trades, Feb 16, 2021.

1. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

Of course I have no idea why you were suspended.

I am only explaining to you that:
    -exploiting can get you a suspension
    -what they consider exploits are not laid out publically (so as to keep from promoting doing it)
    -you can get suspended by a GM who was incorrect in doing so

So yes, I kind of agree with much of the other sentiment you express, and others in this thread.

The way you're supposed to 'know' an exploit is that it's 'too good to be true' essentially.

If anything gains you xp while afk, yes they would consider that exploiting. As just one example.
  2. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

All I can take from this discussion so far is that on Aradune & Rizlona there is still an active GM presence, which is what some folks have been saying was not the case.

I guess if players reporting other players, as seems to be the case, is getting a response then its time to restart reporting those mass AFK bots those servers have probably given up on thinking the GM were no longer active.
    GNOME_POWER likes this.
  3. Machen New Member

I can guarantee it's not people they have been watching. In one case, recently, someone petitioned someone else for afk play. The GM appeared within minutes of the petition being submitted and the player's team was kicked offline 30 seconds later. They are not watching. They are popping up, issuing a /say, and if you don't respond immediately, you are suspended or banned.
    AoEBox and Gremin like this.
  4. AoEBox Elder

I think you are 100% correct in it a gray area but when a GM indicates you were playing Unattended or Unintended actions there should be 0 gray area.

People should not be getting 7 day suspensions because someone reported them and they were slow to respond to the GM, which many take action immediately which is not supposed to happen until a 2nd Offence on Aradune. On several occasions there have been GMs taking action against a full group of 6 when none of the group are linked together.

What constitutes a warning ? Is the OP example a warning before a 7 day hits me ?

Tshesebe and MasterMagnus like this.
  5. sc0ttr0 New Member

Like I said earlier, It's been weaponized as the latest, coolest thing to do to other guilds/players people don't like. I don't get it. They give us a non-true box, instanced server and people still cant get along well enough to keep crap like this from happening. Now we have an entire community of players afraid to take a dump while in game.
    Leerah and Tshesebe like this.
  6. Questjunkie New Member

This whole situation is a mess. There are people on Rizlona deliberately bugging out Tunare so you only have to kill a handful of mob around her before engaging, not the entire zone (none of the mobs in zone run to her when you engage her). People are using an autosize active hack when killing Vyemm that negates a lot of his fling. People are warping melee dps in and out on Lady Nev to avoid the spin stun. One person, known to the GMs for warping repeatedly, got pinged again but only had one of his 36 characters suspended for a week as "punishment". Numerous groups of players, some I know personally, are AFK exping in Chardok and Velks getting their AAs. Sirens Grotto has several afk farming groups at it 24/7.

Most of us don't know the full back story when someone gets a suspension or ban for failing an AFK check, but it appears at least some of them are very unfair. Yet a lot of really blatant, over the top cheating, like the types of things I've listed above, goes unchecked.

I boxed a bunch of groups on Ragefire for years and never gave it a moments thought if I went AFK to pee. On Rizlona I'm paranoid as hell, despite the fact I never afk kill, have never warped or used any other active hack etc etc. If my toons kill something it's because I've run off and pulled it, manually. Yet I could get pinged b/c I miss a /say from a GM?

I don't know how much business they lose by unfairly suspending or banning people. My guess would be not a lot. The game is addictive. I'd cry and rage and swear like you wouldn't believe if my toons got banned but, knowing me like I do, I'd probably remake them and slog my way back to the levels and gear and AA I currently have. My love of the game would take a huge hit tho. Do something sh*tty to me again and I probably wouldn't come back.
  7. Machen New Member

I (hope) I am not with you on this. I've used the same main account for 20 years. Never received so much as a warning in all that time. If it were banned for something I was not actually guilty of doing, I would not give the company another dime.
    Accipiter, Gremin, Skuz and 1 other person like this.
  8. AoEBox Elder

Touché

I am lucky to get through a expansion without something happening!
  9. Timgrok New Member

The fact that they do these afk checks, but can’t figure out the automated groups in sirens is just astonishing. It’s an absolute joke. I quit this game a long time ago because of the horrible policing in game. I browse the forums every so often to see the climate of the TLPs. Doesn’t look like I’ll be back any time soon to EQ
    Discord likes this.
  10. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

The things we choose to care about...
  11. Questjunkie New Member

I have no issue with saying I care about this. It worries me so much I haven't played in Luclin yet, apart from buying spells and one 2 hour stint in GE seeing what the AA exp was like. Some ppl might think that is just dumb, but playing EQ is how I choose to spend a lot of my time. I don't just have huge time and money investments in my characters, I have an emotional investment in the game too.

I hope this thread gets DBG to have a look at the way they go about suspending/banning people and cleaning it up where necessary. If reporting is being weaponised, they need to take that into account as well.
    Tshesebe likes this.
  12. Nolrog Augur

That's also Zone disruption.
  13. jeskola pheerie

I am fed up with Darkpaw's lack of willingness to communicate with the customer base on a myriad of different issues and inconsistent application of CS policies. You would think this game is somehow tied to matters of National Security they way they go on.
    Leerah likes this.
  14. Tennas Journeyman

I left the game a few days after Aradune launch due to an unfair suspension based on zero evidence. It sucks. I really love this game. But I can't support a company that would suspend someone on a whim. with no opportunity to prove their case.

So now I play WoW, and just drop into these forums to see how things are going in EQ-land. Sounds like they've gotten worse...
    Leerah likes this.
  15. Accipiter Old Timer

I don't get the context, but OK.
  16. Accipiter Old Timer

That's exactly how I feel about it.
  17. Lejaun Augur

No, they've been going pretty good and thousands of people have been having a great time in game. Also, many of those who claim they weren't doing anything wrong actually were, they just won't admit it.

Lots of people are, "Yeah, I just stepped away from the game for a minute to go to the bathroom and got suspended for no reason!" while reality is they stepped away for quite awhile while their program or pet farmed/xp'd for them while they were tabbed out or whatever.
    Nolrog and Niskin like this.
  18. modsiw Augur

TLDR:
    Daybreak devs still haven't discovered Captcha.
    Leerah likes this.
  19. yerm Augur

If a gm contacts me using say there is a 9 in 10 chance I do not see the message before taking more actions. I've never afk botted and it wouldn't matter - they come at me in say, I'm not seeing it. I made a window for say in case it happens and it doesn't matter, it gets SPAMMED by npc chat and there's no way I can find to separate garbage from actual chat, so I never look at it.

Any other situation I'd agree wholeheartedly. Every time I see people say they weren't cheating, they weren't warping, they weren't training, they weren't... BS. In this case? Every decent player filters away /say.
    Tegila likes this.
  20. Lejaun Augur

So if you don't filter away /say you aren't a decent player? =p

It isn't just say that the GMs give you. They are literally right there next to you. If people can't recognize a GM there with /say, /tell, and visual cues.....I'm not sure I feel that sorry for them.