Rogue Stuff

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Spiffy Duu, Feb 14, 2021.

1. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

You have to understand how DBG/DPG makes money now. TLP's are a huge part of that. This has led to a re-examining of the early game by those who keep playing it over and over again. Also, the density of the population that is doing this content on TLP's is much higher from a raid-capable perspective. That means the old epic bottlenecks have a larger impact and cause more problems. Suggestions were made on how to address some of these issues, and those changes ended up getting made, across multiple classes. If they made only the first change then the easiest 1.0 would be even easier, so they tried to improve the bottleneck while retaining similar difficulty.

Let's be fair, this quest was unchanged for decades because before TLP's this quest was long since dead. Sure some Live players did it, maybe for the look or to get the aug that gives that look. I got my Ragebringer during Kunark and it was in my offhand by PoP, and bagged shorly after that. Most of why it wasn't in a bag was the haste, for a non-raiding player it was very good for a long time.

They removed a bottleneck and traded that for some timesinks that were always supposed to be there. It solves the problem where the problem is experienced the most right now. Time will tell how it balances out.
  2. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess you haven't tried to do an Eldreth turn-in on a TLP server the first month of kunark dropping.

All of the subquest items can be pre-farmed in Classic.

For the JDD, 2/4 of the weapons are permanently rotting on the ground in SolB because kobolds are permacamped due to their alchemy components and are nodrop. The mithril 2hander will sell for pennies as people upgrade into sky weapons and kunark weapons if you want to wait that long (or you know just go farm one cause classic takes 3 months). And the Gigantic Zweihander was made easier to acquire because otherwise it would have been a major bottleneck with Karg Icebear's former rarity.

Cazic Quill didn't drop 80% of the time even before this patch so any rogue with any sense went into Kunark with all 4 robes ready to turn-in anyway so that point is moot. On earlier TLPs the SMR hurt rogues' wallets due to the Spell Haste II focii but since that isn't active on current TLPs on Luclin it is also dirt cheap. So as long as a rogue shows up to a handful of Phinny kills (which of course they would to help their guildies right?) they should have the only somewhat difficult robe to get fairly easily.
    Astral64 and GNOME_POWER like this.
  3. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

None of these things are rotting on live servers, none of these things are in the bazaar. Every thing has to be farmed.

TLP players are under the wrong impression that live players do not do epics. Catching phinny up on live is neigh on impossible and we have AoC to help.

Making 22 year old content harder to complete on live servers is stupid and not welcome.
  4. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

I don't even play on live anyone and I know that you have access to a mob called "harbinger of the seas" that makes it REAL easy to get a kedge robe if you don't feel like killing 2 dark elves in Kithicor to get one.

Stop looking for a reason to complain about things it's really exhausting.
  5. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Never heard of hairbinger? Where is that found.

I have a spoter parked currently at Phinny trying to get the bugger.
  6. GNOME_POWER Augur

You have no choice but to start and nurture a thread with your argument against a new bottleneck.
    That may or may not be of interest to developers in a few years.
  7. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

I've chosen to read this as sarcasm, so hold on a sec I gotchu.

Gonna just preemptively say sorry Dreamweaver I expect this'll get reported for bullying. :(
    Mithra, Astral64, Raccoo and 3 others like this.
  8. FranktheBank Augur

Very informative. Especially the last two words of the video. :)
  9. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Thank you, very interesting!

Guess I've never seen it as I usually only log mage in to see if it's up and don't kill anything.

Coming in with CotF makes sense that was my busy work year where pretty much only raided, so new fangled stuff got missed. Wish I'd known about this last year when I did bard epic, stupid backbone!

So as long as its triggered by the class needing it, it doesn't matter which class kills it i asume.

Rogue is only level 52 so it will be good for a while yet. Been teaching my daughter how to play while doing hero's journey so in no rush to level up. Beastlord epic was easy for her to get done, just mine giving us greif
  10. Zish Elder

? I never said anything about the Eldreth change.

I really don't understand this line of thinking. You don't really have to look far for a reason to complain when the devs pointlessly nerf 20 year old content in order to do nothing other than make it take longer to complete.

It's a completely unnecessary change and everyone should be upset over it. There is absolutely no reason why anyone should be happy and accept that this classic epic quest has been nerfed.

It makes it all the more confusing when the only argument for it is "oh it doesn't take THAT much longer". Then why change it at all?

There was no bugfix here. There was no streamlining. All they did was remove ways to complete the quest which in turn makes it take longer. No one should be supporting this change.
  11. Genoane Journeyman

/Shrug. As someone that always plays rogues on TLP's and Live I welcome the change: They replaced boring, low interaction bottlenecks with things to do. And those "things to do" are, in fact, always intended steps of the quest. I've done 8 or 9 rogue epics and I've never done the 4 blades subquest.

As long as the Karg spawn is now reasonable, They fixed it. Stop whining
  12. FranktheBank Augur

Can you guys just once use a different argument than "it's been that way for 20 years". That is not a good argument. Fixing stuff from 20 years ago is fine. Charm changes, paladin epic, monk epic, etc. The game has changed and evolved and some mechanics need to change. Get over it.

It's changed for the same reason Shaman epic was changed. The people that did the quests were skipping 50-90% of the quest. Also, they removed a few bottlenecks because it's really no longer acceptable.
    Genoane likes this.
  13. Zish Elder

That's the thing, there was nothing to fix here. There was no issue, there was no problem.

They simply changed the quest to force you to put more time into it and added new bottlenecks in the patch designed to remove bottlenecks.
  14. Hegsheoshed Augur

The burning rapier being used in two quests is unreasonable though. Getting the drinks isn't so bad for the combine in the Blackburrow Cask but getting the cask twice to get the Vein Rot Sketch for the eventual completion of the Master Sketch is a bit rough. Then again I see a lot of rogues who pass on doing the Grandmaster Assassin's Seal and then maybe it is a way to see how serious someone is about playing a rogue. Hence the reason why I refuse to sell the Blackburrow Cask extras I have to the unserious. Yes, I said hence. We get to use archaic words in EQ. Pazin should really only need to see that you have a burning rapier, not take it away from you like an overbearing motherfather.

Or the Overbearking which I had as a fat fingered word for a moment there....
  15. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

You were right it has been reported for bullying! But it is very helpful for those like me who some how managed to miss this addition to the game, so I have asked DW to leave it where it is.

I think those that reported it are jealous you didn't think think they were special enough to make them a video. :)

Happy baby rogue now has her phinny robe btw. :)

THANK YOU!!!!
  16. Raccoo Augur

I just saw that NPC in KK the other day when Phinny didn't drop the robe. Didn't know what it was for either. My only thought was to try to attack it, and when that didn't work I ignored its presence. haha
    Kels and Yinla like this.
  17. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Good to know it isn't just me :)
  18. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

So what your saying is TLPs don't need to start with original versions of the game and should have the changed versions, cause its evolved right?
  19. FranktheBank Augur

They do? Literally the only different is what level cap and expac they are locked to lol

They have new FP, combined commons. The only thing timeline based is like Fear, CT, Paw, etc.
    Astral64 likes this.
  20. Sissruukk Rogue One

Ok, I have been trying for 6 hours to get Karg IceBear to spawn. I have only seen him once. I have seen his brother numerous times. I have slaughtered everything from the west fork to the entrance of Permafrost, and everything from the north LDoN to the south LDoN entrances. So much for Karg being "easier to find."