Should I reroll, or can this work?

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Thebears, Feb 17, 2021.

1. Thebears New Member

I start a new job in a couple weeks, been looking for a while, and I got sucked back into EQ on the newest progression server. I found a really cool guild, really enjoying the experience of seeing all the raid content I never got to etc.

However, we're coming up on PoP in a few months, Luclin just recently dropped, and I'm noticing some class envy, along with coming to a very real realization.

I'm about to have a LOT less time to invest in the game, and I'm worried about being able to keep up.

Currently, I am duoing a SK/Shm box duo. I didn't set out to box, I am not good at it, and I do not enjoy boxing. I would prefer to play a single character and just dedicate myself completely to it.

Aside from that, I'm noticing a few things in raids and groups. My SK is my main, who I raid on, and my box shammy is still wearing mostly banded lol. When I'm in a group setting, I not only usually end up the puller, which I cannot stand, but I also am obviously the tank. I am therefore having to constantly spam my taunt / snare to keep aggro and keep my group running.

My box shaman is mostly there to slow and heal now and then, but I usually try to sucker in another healer so I can be lazy on the shaman, another reason I don't like boxing because it's just not as productive as it could be.

This role is active enough that I cannot really do anything else, I can't really watch tv or play a card game in the background, it's a full time job. Well, that's alright for a few hours but then I burn out and I just want to be semi-afk and do other things.

In addition to that, I'm about to start said job, and while I will be working 100% remote, I will most likely be in a lot of meetings and not have much attention to share with the game. An active role like this would be impossible and ultimately I'm gonna end up just not being able to do anything during the day.

So... I'm considering re-rolling. I would like something I can group with, that doesn't take much attention, just nuke every pull or do something simple, but doesn't require constant monitoring.

For this reason, I'm considering re-rolling into a wizard. There's couple of things that worry me about a wizard though. One being, getting groups is significantly harder lol, I may find that I can't even get a group even if I was going to group during the day seeing as I am not even remotely essential. Two being, on raids I am afraid of getting completely frustrated with the belly casting mechanic. I have played a wizard on previous TLP's during Kunark / Velious and was very annoyed by dying to aoe's and not being able to really nuke much.

All that being said, I'm considering just dropping the SK and going shaman main, which remedies the group finding issue and the raiding issue as I'll be healing mostly which is fine. But, I'm concerned the role is a bit too engaged for semi-afk working.

Any input is welcome, thanks!
  2. Dythan Ban Lev in Plane of Fire guy

You sound like the kind of player I can't wait to invite to my xp group.
  3. Tryal Anderror Journeyman

To be honest it just sounds like you don't like EverQuest...
    I can say though I've always liked Necros for the reason that I want to start and stop and do what I want.

You don't need a group, you can kite by yourself. You certainly have to pay attention while you do, but because you're not relying on other people if I want to go eat or stop and pay attention to a Youtube video I can. You can get a group if you feel like it too but you never really have to outside specific progression.
    But for Semi AFK, you can also kill 3 mobs then just FD for 20 minutes and take a work call, then stand back up and keep going. You're never a slave to the game
    Xilbuster likes this.
  4. Wuadon New Member

I would recommend that you consider re-rolling a magician. You can nuke, your pet can tank, and you can go a/f/k without worrying about dying immediately. Your pet will keep participating in the group until you get done with your meeting.
    Deux likes this.
  5. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

So your trying to find a happy medium between less than 100% attention to either your new job or your EQ game?

This is like texting while driving. Not a good idea.

I can see it now: You shout out on your company's zoom that the "mob is incoming" or "I have to answer this stupid question from my boss" when you think you are in the in game chat. Or on the web cam they see you on the game running for your life from a named and yelling "train!"

Yea, go with a mage.

But don't come here when you get banned for afk playing while in that meeting.:D

Good luck on your new job.
    Xilbuster likes this.
  6. Deux Corpse Connoisseur

Magician is probably a good fit...Ranger might not be bad either. Both have minimal buffs and can 1 key engage / dps mobs.

Having said that an SK/SHM is an excellent 2-box setup to level together and can take on all kinds of content at higher levels.

Wizards, from my experience, are a bit higher in difficulty to level if you solo XP.
    Qimble likes this.
  7. Xilbuster Journeyman

I have a real life friend that tries to do this in my groups . and all I can say I do not group with him anymore.

go solo with your 2 box , or make a solo class and mess around , go farm TS mats or plat or something by your self if you want to play and work at the same time.
  8. Qelil Augur

When playing in a group one should be devoting their attention to playing in that group exclusively or else announce when they need a brief AFK for bio or whatever. It isn't fair to the other members of the group for one person to be out to lunch as desired while they all actively participate in earning XP, etc.

What you want to do is fine for solo or molo and I would encourage you to do that during those times when you need to be semi-afk or more afk than that. In this way, you can accomplish a lot at your own pace and play with others when you can be considerate of them and devote your full attention to the group effort.

When you are in a group, you are playing in a team sport. Can you imagine a football player walking off the field to the bench as desired so they can do other stuff on their smartphone or whatever? I am aware of how this simple example could be picked apart. Please don't. You get the idea I hope.

There are no trivial members who do not matter in a group and can slack off without affecting the group. I suggest getting that idea right out of your head. All classes require somebody at the wheel to do their best and contribute the best they can.

Lastly, if you don't like to box then I suggest you don't box. Boxing is not a requirement to play this game. I venture out solo plenty when my main isn't involved in a group with various alts. I can always find something fun to do on my own when I want to.
    Nennius likes this.
  9. Xhartor Augur

Raiding wizards rule Luclin. Alot of raid mobs in Luclin have high AC that melee damage and resists/belly casters isn't as bad as Velious was. Additionally you have encounters like the Emp and Seru where all the melee are forced to use subpar bane weapons, but wizard fire and cold nukes will land just fine.

Wizard have problems finding exp groups, because the class rep for player going AFK and not contributing in the exp group. Now because you are in Luclin era, AE pug groups in the Deep do exist, which sound like your kind of play style because AE group allow for AFKing during respawn and pull time.
  10. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

You are over thinking.

Do/play as you want. This is EverQuest.
    You don't have to keep up. Real life great, you can always log in and play whenever you want how you want, with what toon you want.

So, enjoy the game .. play 1 toon play 6 play 24.

You can't understand a character unless you max it out full AA (just a FYI).
    This is when you understand the channels and advice from those that have mastered the class.
    Playing and not liking, you have to know it. All toons are godly in their own aspect.

Evolution sucks, Mercs suck, you can leave out of being a Cleric or a Warrior because they depend on the other class to play, healer for War, or War for healer. You can solo with a Cleric only so much, same with a Warrior. I knew a Warrior that would kill anything and everything without a healer, and I have known battle Clerics. Clerics are a must to raid. Warriors are also godly. It's all messed up this entire paragraph @@

/grin

So changes happen.

But don't stress it, pick a Necro and solo or a Bard and be with anyone. (or box your set up) Many different things you can do.

Don't stress it.

I would like to add, programmers and nerfs really mess up classes sometime. Soloing gets nerfed on changes they do.
  11. Vumad Cape Wearer

I have been in a similar spot, little play time trying to raid.

Rolling to a class with the idea that you half-*** your play is not the way to go. Play or don't play. Being halfway between is not a good idea. People wont like playing with you.

You are a tank, and tanks are the class that require the most effort. They need the best augs, AA and armor. It is very difficult to enjoy raiding with a tank that does not have time to group. Pullers/ENC are a close second, and melee 3rd (due to AE ramp on raids) and caster coming in 4th.

I main ENC and don't have the group time outside of raids, and due to my schedule, hover around 66% attendance earning me less DKP. I have always had less armor, less augs and less AA than my peers, but am still very welcome in a top performing guild. I get with strong play, relying more on true avoidance in situations that other ENC can face tank. I overcome my playtime problem with high attentiveness, the opposite of what you seem to be trying to solve your problem with. This is probably because tanks can't fake AC in the same way an ENC can avoid a hit, I do understand that.

Keep playing the class you like, but if at some point you find you can't get by on your group time anymore, you can switch to any class that isn't a tank. Make up for your lower stats with increased attentiveness and skill. However it would take a fair amount of play to catch backup with a main change when that time could just go to your current main.

But don't go with the partial AFK play. Play the playtime you have to the best of your ability. A raid guild would rather have an under geared CLASS playing at 100% than a decked out CLASS playing at 50%.
  12. GamerDad New Member

Couple things I want to agree on.

Some classes take more attention and effort to play. My main was a bard so I was always the puller for a group, and often the only CC, and sometimes also the only haste/mana/slow (and it was the old days before /melody). After couple hours of 110% effort I would need a break and logon to play my alts. You should definitely switch it up to keep thing fresh.

Also, I don't enjoy boxing neither. I used to play EQ a lot back in the days and enjoyed playing each class to their potential. With boxing, I am half 'ed at best on each character. It really takes lots of fun out of playing.
  13. Asnjas1 New Member

Play or dont.