What are some of your favorite sub-games within EQ?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Deux, Feb 17, 2021.

1. Deux Corpse Connoisseur

EQ is an open game offering fun factors for many different playstyles and tastes. Within EQ are a number of "sub-games" and was wondering, while we wait for the servers to come back, what are some that you enjoy?

Non-exhaustive list
    -Raiding (current content)
    -Raiding (older content - solo, boxed or with friends/guildies)
    -Older xpac progression
    -The Hunter achievement sub-game
    -Tradeskills
    -Collectibles sub-game (ornaments, illusions, familiars, etc)
    -Stockpiling tradeskill resources sub-game (i.e. farming 1000 of every silk, or ore, etc)
    -House/GH decoration sub-game
    -Bazaar merchant haggler/deal finder sub-game
    -Item farmer sub-game
    -Map editing sub-game (yes there are people who are into modifying their game maps for lore/accurate etc)
    -Check the box sub-game in achievements
    -Wealth sub-game (maxing out bank capacity for plat)
    -Making and leveling one of every class sub-game
    -Boxing your own team group/raid sub-game
    -Soloing hard mobs or raids sub-game
    -Studying the lore of an xpac to enrich the time spent in it's zones sub-game
    -Optimizing your character sub-game
    -Developing raid strategies sub-game
    Skuz likes this.
  2. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

Forumquest
    Laronk, Beimeith, WeezFv and 3 others like this.
  3. Deux Corpse Connoisseur

Would have guessed the Hunter sub-game based on your epic and informative thread
    Astral64 likes this.
  4. Arborer Lorekeeper

I like finding obscure areas of old zones that I have never been in, even back when those zones were current. Like I just discovered those underground caves in the northern end of Dulak's Harbor, packed with those odd mobs. That's the area where Captain Varns spawns, the shadowknight epic mob. Probably never explored here before because no reason to since back then I never played an SK.

I believe we will never see a game with so much content (albeit mostly unused today, sadly) because it's the result of 20 years' worth of expansions and I contend no current or future MMO will ever last that long again.

Also I love to tackle old raids also, seeing how "lean" I can do them. Like soloing Plane of Time, which I concede is a "big whoop" today but still fun for old time's sake and the memories. Same with clearing all of Anguish solo.
    Deux likes this.
  5. Nennius Curmudgeon

ForumQuest
    Skuz and MasterMagnus like this.
  6. Zynt Augur

Coming up with names for TS mules that I can look at and remember what TS they get the mats for. Like Chefbob. Subquest to that subquest is kicking myself because I made the name too long and it's a pita to type out. Tertiary subquest to that is missing one or two items while parceling out that go to the mules with the longest names. Wrap all of that in the occasional 30 sec plus parcel lag and it's game on!
    Deux likes this.
  7. Deux Corpse Connoisseur

Don't you love parceling items to your TS mule and realizing you spelled the name wrong and, instead of bouncing back to you, they are delivered to a character whose name matches the misspelled name. Grats on that free fungi dood!
    Nennius, Skuz and Zynt like this.
  8. Zynt Augur

I did that a while back with a metric Gnome poop ton of PoP mats that I had farmed for weeks. I haven't seen that recipient on at all since either. I also did it with a gaggle of VoA spell gems too.
    Deux likes this.
  9. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Lol, so mad I get when that happens :mad:
    Deux likes this.
  10. WeezFv Lorekeeper

my fav sub game is tryin to beat all the perma campers cause they wont add agents of change to live servers.
  11. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I am absolutely a Raider to my core, everything else I do feeds into that desire for the Raiding game, I like the teamwork, the camaraderie, the sense of bitter disappointment when you fail badly over and over while you learn the event & then the elation and sense of achievement when you finally beat it that makes all that hard work worth it.

Tradeskills, which I used to hate I have grown to enjoy a lot more, I wouldn't call myself a fan of the system EQ has but it's a lot better than what some games have, for my money SWG had the best system ever, Vanguard's was great & EverQuest II had a system I enjoyed as much for the sheer range of items you could make but also because at least originally you could only master one of them, a big part of the fun in EQ II for me was making one of each crafter so I could outfit every character head to toe in crafted gear, if only the combat system was better & less whack-a-mole.

ForumQuest - I'd be a liar if I said I wasn't into that

Group game/ boxing - they have their sore points & flaws but overall the group game in EQ is really good now & I really enjoy boxing for the freedom is gives to actually do stuff despite some aspects of it that drive me nuts.

FashionQuest - not as into it as some crazy people are but I do enjoy swapping looks/appearances & illusions.
    Deux, Nennius and MasterMagnus like this.
  12. MmmmBop Wise Troll

My 2 favorite sub games within EQ are:

1. (prenerf) Overseer
    2. /gems.
    Deux likes this.
  13. Ninelder Augur

Deux likes this.
  14. Sirene_Fippy Okayest Bard

- picking up shinies
    - parsing
    - making GINA triggers
    kizant and Deux like this.
  15. Benito EQ player since 2001.

I am surprised no one has mentioned the 'Jewel of Atiiki' tile puzzles quest line.

They need to let the Efreeti Death Visage cast the old spectre model illusion. This is the lowest hanging fruit in the game to incentivize old but unique content into current high demand.
    Deux likes this.
  16. Beimeith Lord of the Game

I like playing the games at the Festival of Arcane Science.
  17. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Enough with this already, how many threads have you posted this in.

There is a reason it's that spec illusion, it's when it came out.

Get over it, it is fine as it is.
  18. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Raiding if its a raid night.
    TBL - COV missions if its my morning group, stuffing new players to our group with gear and augs.
    Afternoon alt questing, anything from low level quests I've not done before to CotF + for heroics, illusion quests/drops for the rogue and bard.
    Epics - currently have ranger, rogue and zerker on the go.

.....and that is why I have 5 accounts with 14 chars on each.....so much to do! So many different leveling paths with so many quests!
    Deux likes this.
  19. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Relax. The Efreeti Death Visage could cycle between both models. I am suggesting re-engaging people for this quest line by adding the old model. It's low-hanging fruit. One additional model (original spectre) and you will have hundreds or thousands of players interested in the Efreeti Death Visage.

People want old model illusions. Notice how crazy high demand and prices are for old model Ice Giant Facade, Dwarven Sentinel Visage, Daring Deathfist Disguise over new model Veil of Veksar, Face of the Drowned, and Gold Gnomework?
  20. GNOME_POWER Augur

Qeynos Badge Quest Line#3 - The Rat Puzzle
    Deux likes this.