Just hit 300 smithing have questions on gaining to 350

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Deux, Feb 16, 2021.

1. Deux Corpse Connoisseur

I just hit 300 smithing and I must be dense I've read a number of EQ tradeskill sites and can't seem to understand what I need to do to hit 350.
    The recipe I used to hit 300 is trivial at 310. I assume since I know this recipe it won't advance my skill post 300 even tho trivial?
    Skill is gained only when the recipe is successfully learned? I'm assuming a failure combine won't teach a recipe?
    Will it take multiple recipes to gain 1 skill point?

Thanks!
  2. Metanis Bad Company

Advancing past 300 requires learning more recipes. The skill level of those recipes isn't a factor except in how likely you will be able to succeed learning that recipe in relatively few attempts. So a batch of 39 recipes will earn you a skill up whether they were 1 trivial or 466 trivial.
    Deux likes this.
  3. Barton The Mischievous

http://bonzz.com/350.htm

I would suggest giving this a read especially "the basics" section

you are correct in most of your assumptions though
    Deux likes this.
  4. Deux Corpse Connoisseur

Thanks to you both...Barton that website was very helpful!
    Barton likes this.
  5. Barton The Mischievous

You are welcome
    Deux likes this.
  6. Visitor Augur

Make sure that you max your Trophy to 15%, before you start the road to 350, as trophies evolve by succeeding on combines above your base skill. Also if you plan to max all the trades, do that before the grind to 350. Once you do get on the road to do the 50 more skill points, doing the merchant alliance task, gains you recipes and buying and scribing all the books from NPC that you have not scribed, will gain a lot of recipes, without having to do them.-- and Good luck
    Deux likes this.
  7. Moege Augur

Deux and Wyre Wintermute like this.
  8. Tryal Anderror Journeyman

When you say you gain a lot of recipes without having to do them, I've scribed a lot of these books, but is scribing them supposed to give you the skill up? Or do you still have to actually make the recipe? 'cause none of my skills have gone over the 300 yet.
    Deux likes this.
  9. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

10. Deux Corpse Connoisseur

Thanks just discovered the skill up books been playing 20 years off and on never knew these existed...glad I didn't use them as they are helping. I bought the smith-only related ones in POK and went from 300 to 310...forgot to have my trophy equipped though would the learned recipes count towards evolving it?

Skill gain = recipe learning post 300
    Trophy evolution = skill gain OR non-trivial combine repetitions is this accurate?

Thanks again for everyone's help!
  11. Aanuvane Augur

Non-trivial successful combines are what evolve the trophies.
    Deux likes this.
  12. Deux Corpse Connoisseur

Thanks...my trophy is at 6/7 or 12%. My raw smithing is 310 with trophy it's like 347. There is one recipe I want to make for armor for my pet with a 335 trivial. Am I good to start making it or should I just wait til I really hit 335 or 350 for that matter?
  13. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Yes, I would give it a shot. If its 335 and your over that with 347 then you might fail a bit from normal rng but because your 310 you may get skill ups too.
    Deux likes this.
  14. Deux Corpse Connoisseur

BTW fairly shocking at how expensive it is to raise tradeskills if you're trading plat vs time. I had hoarded a ton of various ores but not enough Tungsten and ended up buying about 1000 pcs to finish. Would have taken me forever to farm that quantity up thank Cazic for the bazaar but my bank account is crying.
  15. Jaedo Journeyman

If you need 5 more recipes to get a skill-up, when you scribe a book that has 6 or more recipes you will get that skill-up. Most skill-ups take a lot of recipes (except alchemy, poison-making, and tinkering). Some of the books simply don't have enough recipes (that you didn't already have) but get them all anyway!

As soon as you hit 300 in skill, and have the proper AA's to go beyond 300 you will automatically have like 306-315ish in that skill IF you get the recipes from all the books.
    Deux likes this.
  16. Tatanka Joe Schmo

No, scribing them does not give you the skill up, UNLESS, you are already at 300, and have purchased some of the AAs which allow the skill to go above 300.

Skill gains above 300 are based on recipes known. So, learning more recipes (by making them, or scribing the books mentioned) will help those skillups come. Keep in mind, each post-300 skillup requires more than one new recipe learned (lowest is fishing, at 2.5, worst is research at about 50), so just because you scribe a book, are 300+, and have the AAs, you may not see a skillup if the book didn't give you enough recipes to get to the next skillup. It helped, just not enough for a skillup.

Now, I'm pretty sure if you scribe the books early, you will get the credit when you get to 300+ and purchase the needed AAs.

Re-reading your post, it sounds like you may not have purchased the AAs yet. For each trade, the first three ranks of mastery reduce failures for that trade. The next 10 ranks allow your skill cap in that trade to go up 5 points. So, if you've reached 300, then purchase ranks 4+ of the mastery AAs, and then your tradeskills will start to go up, based on whatever recipes you've already made, or books you've scribed.
    Deux likes this.
  17. Deux Corpse Connoisseur

I was really daunted with this new system to raise TS really appreciate all the input it's taken the mystery out of the process. Now I guess I need to do all 7 so I can buy all TS books. Very cool how they tell you which you have scribed and which you haven't.