Server Lag

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Darkerknight, Feb 16, 2021.

1. Darkerknight Lorekeeper

I’m not gonna sugar coat this: This lag is absolutely unacceptable. I am absolutely done wiping because of massive server side lag spikes. I am done paying for 6 Accounts and expansions for a game that cannot even provide basic functions.
    Not being able to actually play the game and having your entire group wipe because you pull a mob and the server lags out for 1-2 minutes, then when it finally catches up, everyone is dead - that’s sub-par service.

No, this is not an issue due to weather related activities currently going on.
    No, this is not an issue with my ISP.
    This is a DBG issue and has been present since CoV launch.

Fix. Your. .
    Galarian, Nennius and Metanis like this.
  2. Jumbur Improved Familiar

They are working on it. The next patch should change the proc-mechanics, which should help with the lag problem.
  3. blurpppa New Member

I am sorry but they did the same with EQ2 - removing all sorts of in game mechanics and it didnt help on that games server lag at all. This is just a way they can look proactive and tell players they actually care, while they know its because of their new server infrastructure they moved to last year to save money.

If anyone is hoping the proc change will sort network lag they are in for a bad surprise.
    WeezFv, Barton, Zynt and 1 other person like this.
  4. Redrum_Redrum Augur

It was pretty bad this weekend. I started to notice the graphics bug again when zoning into pok everything is white for about 30 seconds. Also noticed auto rewinding alot. What I mean is I would run to a spot try to transaction with a npc and would freeze and shift back to a spot I was at 30 sec or so prior. Was fun trying to use the elevator for the aid grim task and being almost at the top then placed in the middle floating with no elevator.
    Svann2 and Metanis like this.
  5. Metanis Bad Company

Maybe a letter writing campaign to EG7? Move the servers to Sweden and the lag couldn't get any worse could it?
    Barton likes this.
  6. Metanis Bad Company

If you use the "What's New" link on a regular basis you'll notice a lot more guild recruitment is happening now. Perhaps the player attrition is going to solve the lag problems for them if they just keep spinning their wheels for a few more months.
  7. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Did they fully resolve/block the DDoS attacker(s)?

It's not an excuse but, putting on my tin foil hat here, what if someone (or some corporate competitor or foreign power) is quietly sabotaging Daybreak Games (for a multitude of reasons; from corporate sabotage to cyber attack dry run). They should touch base with the FBI. Even a press release of collaboration with the FBI might spook attackers.

The president of Daybreak Games has to get involved (at least contact or challenge the servicer). It seems to be a portfolio-wide problem (EQ1, EQ2, Planetside 2, DCUO, LOTRO, DnD).
    Nolrog likes this.
  8. Zynt Augur

It won't. Like has already been said they did the same kind of thing in EQ2 and it didn't fix anything. Lag is just as bad, or worse. The issue is their garbage servers. Full stop.
    WeezFv and Metanis like this.
  9. Febb Augur

This is happening to all of their games and it has been happening since they moved their infrastructure, I seriously doubt a ddos attack would go on that long. So I think we can put 2 and 2 together and figure out what the issue is.
    Daltara and Metanis like this.
  10. Mazame Augur

I doubt this will fix anything other then lowering player DPS. Some nights the lag is not bad and other nights it is unplayable. the Fact that some night it fine even during raid tells me it not a proc issue.
    Svann2 likes this.
  11. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Just a few weeks ago, someone successfully hacked a suburb of Tampa Bay's water supply (to release more sodium hydroxide, lye). It was only stopped because there was an individual monitoring the system.

We live in a new paradigm. Hostile actors (individuals, corporations, nation-states, non-governmental organizations) probably have a greater cyber capabilities (weapons) than ever before. A sustained but low-level DDoS to eliminate business competition would not be out of the realm of possibility (from corporations with deep pockets).

I mean Sony (when EQ was under the SOE umbrella) was targeted by North Korean hackers at one point a half-decade ago.

I see no harm getting the FBI involved at least due to the DDoS attack on DCUO a few weeks ago.
  12. Metanis Bad Company

Putting on my tinfoil hat here, but what if you wanted to market your game company and you absolutely had to cut your infrastructure costs ahead of that sale? Bonus cost reductions when you force out some long term highly paid staff members?
    WeezFv and Barton like this.
  13. Benito EQ player since 2001.

The issue is not either/or. I say do a full multi-prong approach. Diagnose the hardware and software but also eliminate external factors (DDoS, network congestion). I suspect switching providers/servicers will be the most costly troubleshoot (whether it is due to contractual obligations or capital/manpower) so that would likely be reserved for last.
  14. Darkerknight Lorekeeper

And there it goes again.
    I know it’s NOT my ISP because everything else works fine and nothing else dropped connection when EQ did. Full wipe again because I watched the server crash, the login server quit working, and the website all went down at the same time.
  15. Metanis Bad Company

Have you tried using a VPN? It will completely change the network topology for your EQ sessions.
  16. Windance Augur

Did EQ stop working for everyone? or only you? It could be that your ISP's traffic is getting routed through some unstable part of the network.

The VPN issue is an interesting idea.
  17. Gregwarrian Journeyman

Eq has been really laggy of late. Toons dying cause disciplines and heals not taking effect. Rubber banding on a regular basis. I have long time friends in this game. Am I going to leave unless it gets worse? No. I have other friends that don't play. Am I going to try to get them in the game for us to play together. No. They are my friends and I am not going to want to make excuses for an annoying game enviroment, when there are other games that don't irritate this way. '
    Goodwill is something you can bank but right now EQ is just withdrawing. So Daybreak how about not letting the accountants set the server specs. Let the techs overspec them a bit for the people who provide the revenue that makes this all run.
    Metanis likes this.
  18. Darkerknight Lorekeeper

No, it wasn't just me.
    Svann2 likes this.
  19. Jumbur Improved Familiar

This thread needs more info: How about each of you who are experiencing lag, tells us which server you play on.

I play on AB, and I haven't experienced lag to that extent recently. Does it affect ALL other servers or only a few?

Well, there has been lagspikes when Im raiding and everyone pop their swarm-pets at the same time, but it sounds like this is a different issue...

Im aware, that AB is hosted elsewhere, and may have better? hardware/infrastructure.
  20. Windance Augur

I play on Bertox and while we do have occasional lag spikes, especially in tells & chat channels, the actual game play lag is usually fine. I suggest all of you who play on heavy servers consider moving to a less congested server !