Droppable vs Crafted - Next Expansion

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Zurril, Feb 13, 2021.

1. Zurril Elder

This is my own preference, but for next expansion I recommend swapping the strength on the craftable ore items and the droppable items, so that best in slot is droppable. There was something exciting about seeing one of your best items drop, or progressing to a raid that drops the item you are looking for. Now - it's just look for the ore and maybe settle on getting the droppables until you can upgrade.

Don't get me wrong - I actually enjoy tradeskills. But I think it should be more like the RoS diamonized ore vs current system
  2. Barraind Grumpy Old Bastage

I enjoy tradeskills... and I remember when tradeskills made wearable items, not containers.

Those were good days.
    blurpppa, Nolrog and Skuz like this.
  3. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

I am of the opinion that the final tier of dropped group and raid gear should be the better than TS. Why they went full blown TS as the better option is a mystery to me.
    Skuz likes this.
  4. Flatchy Court Jester

To me it seems like they made it this way to make people more interested in TS. Now for all the haters of TS , sorry its part of the game so suck it up and get on it. Remember the huge threads about how people did not want to do tasks or progression to ding their levels. Well the answer to that was ,"its part of the game so suck it up and get on it". ;)
  5. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

I agree with this, I much prefered the RoS way of doing armor. Have the TS as the non prestigious catch up armor and dropped as the best.

I also prefered the EoK way of clicking the visables and they made the item rather than having to clear out bags to put the containers in a slot so you can put things in them. :rolleyes:

Players playing catch up don't have huge amounts of PP to create armor.
    Nolrog and Skuz like this.
  6. Warpeace Augur

I'm not understanding why armor that takes more effort should not be the best in slot?
    Rasper Helpdesk and Elyssanda like this.
  7. KrakenReality Augur

The OP mentioned the reasons why in their post. It ruins a lot of the fun behind hoping for a specific drop and tradeskills are the worst. I understand Ngreth loves tradeskills, but they are the worst aspect of this game.
  8. Warpeace Augur

That didn't answer my question now did it? Just because they find some excitement behind a possible drop does not equal eventual player power. Considering trade skill items take more effort there is no reason they should not be best in slot. Even raids the trade skill pieces are best in game.

If your that lazy welcome to second best in slot.
    Flatchy and Elyssanda like this.
  9. KrakenReality Augur

Bro, you’re talking about playing a video game. You’re complaining about laziness, while engaging in the most unproductive and lazy behavior. Take your virtual life a little less serious.

The effort portion is organizing and maintaining a 54 person raid and overcoming those events.
  10. Warpeace Augur

And your complaining about what should be best in slot or at least trying to back the OP up on it. Look in the Mirror there Bro.

At least bring some reasoning behind it besides I just want it to drop and not Trade skill.
    Elyssanda likes this.
  11. Vaeeldar Augur

I don’t see the excitement argument - since it does still have to effectively drop. to me the original post was nothing more than a hidden agenda of not having to deal with the TS/cost aspect. Nothing else.
  12. Metanis Bad Company

I think all we need is new chase loot that is very rare but BIS. Nothing beats the excitement of stumbling over an uber piece of gear.
    OldCa61 and Corwyhn Lionheart like this.
  13. Jumbur Improved Familiar

I preferred something like RoS too, although i was annoyed thats you needed 2 diamonds back then(one for the player who wants the item and one for the crafter), I would prefer only the raider needs a single raid-drop.

As for effort versus reward, they could make the crafted gear easier to craft, with mats that are more common, and the crafting-ores common too... Farming for a crafted chest-piece is a bit "grindy" currently. If crafted gear is "catch-up gear" hen it should be easy recipes, requiring little dkp.

Having bidding-wars over unique drops is more exciting than bidding on generic ores, I agere with that. The real effort, should be earning your dkp. :)
    Tarvas and Skuz like this.
  14. Rasper Helpdesk The Original Helpdesk

I can see both sides here, there is something satisfying about finally getting THE drop (pet focus for me) instead of just looting a generic widget and turning it into what you want. Although a lot of that was removed as early as VoA when you get raid currency each win and just buy what you need, then use dkp to pick up other slots as you go.

In the group game, having the Crystallized Ore be able to turn into any slot makes it so you don't NEED a specific camp, and it makes missions worth repeating since you know you'll get something useful out of it. Personally I wouldn't mind seeing an extra tier thrown into the mix though. There is currently nothing I can craft for an alt unless the alt gets a drop, and given the versatility of the Ore they won't be rotting. I'd like to see a merchant bought version of the Crystallized Restless Ore which makes gear on par with Tier 1.
    FawnTemplar and Flatchy like this.
  15. Elyssanda Bardbrain

Tradeskilling is something that no one NEEDS to do for character play-ability. So you do you boo. Some of us who have put in the time and effort LIKE being able to make things for our characters and to help others.
    (Not counting those who feel forced into TS.. you are not forced to, that is something on you, you can chose not to do it, and have gear with slightly less than those of us who do, or find someone who DOES like to do it, and get it from them- there is a Bazaar market)
    Grove likes this.
  16. Kaenneth [You require Gold access to view this title]

Top tier armor should require a slot specific no trade drop into a no trade tradeskill container you have to make yourself, that requires ultra-rare drops from 10 year old expansions along with a Krono.

Just kidding about the Krono.
  17. Svann2 The Magnificent

Maybe TS gear should be equal to dropped gear. Have TS's actually make the same items.
    That way neither one would be considered worthless, and it would also save a lot of dev time.
    Vumad and Elyssanda like this.
  18. Bigstomp Augur

It does not really take more effort.
    You go to bazaar and buy a template.
    You take your coins and buy an ore.

You build whatever best in slot item you desire.

It has not made it take more effort, it's made it easier since that ore can become any best in slot item.
    Vumad and Tarvas like this.
  19. smash Augur

And is this not because you prefere that you can sell the items, because it is ready made ?

I understand why they made this, to ensure people could not go out and get the best items right way, but actually have to do an effort to get it.
  20. Viper1 Augur

I like the ore system, it ensures that the BIS items don't go to waste as there's always some place to put them. Maybe it was just my guild, but we always seemed to get 20 rog daggers every expansion for all 2 of our regular rogues that show up. But then we have 9 mages and never got more than 1-2 pet ears to drop. It also sucks when your class defining item is locked behind the hardest event in the expansion that you might not see until 6 months in, and no one wants to go back and do after the first couple wins.

Personally, what I'd rather see from raid loot is a series of chase items with special/unique effects that do not exist on normal items. It wouldn't need to be a complete set that covers every slot, so not a new BIS tier. Just a half dozen or so unique items that are not a guaranteed drop, but have a small chance to drop from any chest in the expansion.
    Coagagin likes this.