Wizard Love

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Mazame, Feb 12, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beimeith Lord of the Game

My point was that if it isn't an issue for berserkers now, it shouldn't be an issue for Wizards if they do the same dps.
  2. FawnTemplar Augur

Depends on the tank. Amirite?
  3. Beimeith Lord of the Game

Except we can't "stay out of melee range for more safety" because the AEs/DoTs have gotten so out of control that if we aren't in range for AE healing, we'll die in 2 ticks, and where are the AE heals? On the melee so we have to be next to them.
    KrakenReality, Yinla and FawnTemplar like this.
  4. FawnTemplar Augur

Every class can stay out of melee range while still doing some DPS. However, I would hope that all of us are in the business of trying to maximize our contributions to our groups and raids. The idea that casters shouldn't melee or should stay way back is, frankly, antiquated. If casters weren't meant to melee then why put melee procs on their weapons?
  5. Ezbro Elder

Yes get the melee procs on caster weapons out of the game asap! People are misunderstanding it for modern game design.
  6. FawnTemplar Augur

At the risk of being redundant. It wouldn't matter if you took melee props off caster weapons. It wouldn't matter if we wnt back to the days where casters didn't melee at all. They still have to group up with the melee to receive AE heals. That is the modern game design.
  7. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Except we have belly casters once again so we have no choice but to be in range and not stand back.
  8. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

The only class I have seen having issues with aggro recently has been beastlords
    kizant likes this.
  9. Ezbro Elder

Let's get back to the topic of wizard love. A wizard in the group doing his biggest nuke, and seeing chunks of health of the mob go away is very satisfying. Spamming small poisonous flaming farts is not. So if we brainstorm a little. How about a, say, 5 million dmg nuke with the mobs having tons of HP? Cast time yes yes, but why not?
  10. Jumbur Improved Familiar

I would like that, the original ice comet had a long cast-time too. Longer cast-times and less spam, would be an improvement imho. :)
  11. kizant Augur

Why are you repeating the same incorrect statement a second time?
  12. code-zero Augur

The best time I had with wizards was back before they nerfed Bard dicho.
  13. Beimeith Lord of the Game

We already have some of the longest casting nukes. Making them longer is a step in the wrong direction.

That said I'm not, in principle, opposed to slowing the game down, but only if that includes BOTH casters and melee.
  14. Petalonyx Augur

I don't think anyone wants all nukes to get longer. (also - I think most nukes for mages, enchanters, priests are longer than wizards, no?) But I'd certainly like to see some much longer (4-5s) options that actually chunk the HP bar and require consideration more than just making room for the cast time (like debuffs, resource, aggro, shadowstep) - stuff you'd need to think about before and during the longer cast time and that might make you think twice about putting it into your multibind.
    Ezbro likes this.
  15. Beimeith Lord of the Game

Ranger nukes are .5s
    Beastlord nukes are .5s
    Shadowknight taps/spear are .5s

Enchanter "assaults" are 3s.
    Cleric "chroma" are 3s.
    Druid "icerend" is 3.25s
    Mage "spears" are 3.5s.

And Wizard Ethereals are 3.75s.

We're back of the bus for cast times for big nukes, just like we're back of the bus for crit rate and crit damage mods.
    Coagagin likes this.
  16. Szilent Augur

there are plenty of valid points, don't go a disingenuous route.

the druid big nuke is Roar, 4s
    ... it's also ~their 5th/6th best damage spell
    the enc big nuke is Mindxxxx, 4s
    ... 3rd best? or 5th, depending on how one counts
    the mag big nuke is... well, that's kiiiinda Spear, but also it's Many, 0.75s :p

That the wizard big nuke isn't notably fast is one point, but more germane to this discussion is that druids have damage spells going up to 23k mana.

Enchanters have damage spells going up to 21k mana.

Rangers, beastlords, and shadowknights have damage spells to cast, that are good spells for their classes, going up to 13k-17k mana.

Wizard's best spell is 10k mana. When one tabulates classes dumping mana out to deal their best damage, wizard isn't even in the top 5.

Most of those other damage spells aren't plain nukes, but that's where wizards should be. Dealing the 20k+ mana kinds of damage but with a plainer, more usable nuke.
    Tatanka, Ulrin and RPoo like this.
  17. Moege Augur

Only had to suffer for 4+ years after the promise of a revamp.

Careful what you wish for.
  18. CRAZO Journeyman

Make wizard's number 1 dps again Ber had there run a change of pace would be nice
  19. Beimeith Lord of the Game

I wasn't trying to be disingenuous, I was mostly just being lazy and not looking hard enough.

You're right, their bigger nukes are longer cast times. However, if we're really looking to compare the casters, look at the cast time of the dots, because that's where the bulk of those classes' dps comes from these days.

Nature's Fervid Wrath: 3s.
    Pulmonary Grip: 3s.
    Mind Coil: 3s
    etc.

Enchanter mana costs is kind of a joke given that they basically have infinite mana. The same for Mages. Druids have valid issues, but (imo) they should if they're focusing on nuking and not healing.

As for Wizards being able to dump mana, you're right, but it's not from lack of trying. We've been asking for new, bigger nukes to dump mana with for YEARS. It just falls on deaf ears, like everything else we ask for.
    Jokskilove and Endorek like this.
  20. Jokskilove Palzerker

Make Arcanists .. !
    (apparently the second half of that sentence got censored by the forum software)
    Coagagin and Fender81 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.