Wizard Love

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Mazame, Feb 12, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mazame Augur

Wizards have always been glass cannons. They make things go boom. Most people that play a wizard like the challenge of doing high DPS and trying not to die in the process. EQ over the years has shifted and the Wizards have fallen behind. They are no longer the Cannon they used to be.

I am asking can Wizards please get a revamp. I would love to see there DPS more in line with their role.

Dot Class all got a revamp that help out there DPS.

If it about balance to the class how about Upping the damage greatly and adding Hate to it as well. So if the Wizard want to make thinks go Boom there a risk bringing the class back to the glass cannon. High DPS with High risk of going splat.
  2. Jumbur Improved Familiar

I remember when wizards were the only class that could deliver a 4-digit damage hit... we no longer stand out when it comes to damage. :( I want to nuke big again!

Otoh, we are the worst tank-class in the game, and the worst healer-class in the game. So we kinda stand out, there...:p
  3. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

LOL dream on. They are nerfing us further next patch, we may as well all quit now.
    KrakenReality likes this.
  4. Evilness Gnome warriors are the best warriors

Agreed, Wizards are in need of some serious loving. Stop ignoring the elephant trampling around the room and get it done. Some wizards may be ok with this incoming patch with promise of future change, but that does jack squat in the meantime and just puts Wizards in a worse condition as a class. I am NOT ok with it. Just shortsighted BS imho.
  5. kookoo Augur

we rarely see wizzy in the top 10 dps raid parses , and imo they should be close to zerker's .

** i am not a wiz btw.. i don't even have a wiz alt,
  6. Verily Tjark Augur

I'm not opposed to other classes dying more often.
    Goburs likes this.
  7. KrakenReality Augur

All I’m hearing is buff SKs.
    Ozon likes this.
  8. Evye Augur

What if wizzies got something with a mechanic like headshot but for nukes?
    Maybe something that has an element opposite of the mobs they are nuking?
  9. Filter Augur

If their dps is close to zerkers, zerkers need porting and snare capabilities.
  10. Balthozzar Elder

I think that Mana Burn and Arcane Fusion were supposed to be our "instant death" abilities, but they certainly don't work out that way now if they ever did. Even aside from the limitations of stacking Mana Burn in a raid with multiple wizards, it's 30 minute reuse is way too long, and it just doesn't keep up with mob HPs to be that big of a deal. Same with Arcane Fusion, which goes off too rarely to be that awesome, compared to Head Shot and Assassinate which seem to trigger at least every other blue humanoid mob.

Aside from burst DPS issues, my second biggest complaint as a wizard is the number of spell lines that are either so situational as to be a waste or are simply total What the Heck?

Katalenaga - A PBAE stunt that teleports you in a random direction? Um, why the teleport? I don't get that at all.

Scorching Beam - Frontal AE - 20% chance per target to trigger its negative effect - blindness - which means that it is going to be almost certain to trigger. The cold frontal AE is just a straight 20% for its feedback effect. Again, why per target?

Lures - I haven't used lures since PoP, at least. (Though I don't raid, so maybe they are still occasionally worth memorizing there?) I just don't encounter mobs that are that resistant to all three spell types we use (fire, magic, cold), making lures pointless to me.

The 'medium nuke' spell lines - I.e. Restless Ice Cascade/Dagarn's Fire/Lightning Roar - These are not substantially different from our big nuke Ethereal lines in cast time, recast, resist, or mana/damage ratio, as far as I can see. Again, what is the their point?

AE in general - long ago, rain AE spells were nerfed by having their crit chance reduced because they were too mana efficient against single targets or two mobs at once. Wizards had great variety of PBAE spells for a short time in the early days (Scars of Velious and Luclin) with the Jyll's spells that didn't share a timer. That meant that we could pair up with an enchanter for risky but hilariously fun AE groups. Then, we haven't gotten a cold or magic damage PBAE in at least 45 levels. We've got 2 fire-based ones, though. Besides, do any of the AEs really do enough damage to be worthwhile? It is going to be highly situational to a group whose tank can maintain sufficient AE aggro and a group that isn't going to mez or pull mobs just 1 or 2 at a time anyway. I find it generally better to simply try and burn mobs down one at a time when pulling 3+, since a dead mob doesn't do damage to the tank.
    ImaMedievalman and Ulrin like this.
  11. Jokskilove Palzerker

Oh, you mean like https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/spell.html?spell=4929 ?
    Melees get chain armor and autoattack. Wizards can't do anything without mana and definitely can't take a beating.
    Necros and Mages get pets, and seems to do better both burn and sustained dps.
    Wizards need love!
  12. Balthozzar Elder

I've never played a zerker a significant amount of time, so I don't know what, if any, utility abilities they have. But utility is not equal to DPS. Snare isn't just a wizard thing, so groups don't often rely on Wizards to be the one to snare mobs, and . . . well, porting and evac are great to have, no lie there. But it is still utility and not a 'get mobs dead faster' ability.

I won't try and say wizards should be equal to zerkers, rogues, or whatever class in DPS, but when it comes to helping a group kill mobs and/or stay alive while doing that, wizards are about nuking things. We should be really, really good at that.
  13. Jumbur Improved Familiar

I use them on raid to trigger gambit, or if Im running low on mana I weave them in between my claws, instead of ethereals.

As for katelanaga, I theorize that pbaoe and shadowsteps combined could make it possible to swarmkite, if the recast-time wasn't so long(sadly, it is :( ), I haven't played around with it though. but the randomness is a handicap though.

But you are right that there are many spells I never use.
    Skuz and Yinla like this.
  14. kizant Augur

Sounds fair to me but I'd like your level 120 stuns, battle leap, a useful epic, self healing, and better ADPS.
  15. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

If we are using porting as a trade off, wizzys needs more and better ports/gates/TLs than the guild hall and clickies.
  16. Sissruukk Rogue One

I agree, give the Wizzys some loving.
    Ezbro, Annastasya and Griggson like this.
  17. Maedhros High King

They could literally double the base dmg of every wizard and mage spell and I think they would still be behind.
    Just do it already devs.
  18. Barbwarrior Augur

permanent twincast and quadcast burns ?:p
  19. Deux Corpse Connoisseur

I love Wizards! They translocate me to exciting spots where I visit new zones, meet interesting mobs, kill them and take their stuff!
    Also love you guys everytime I need TL to Hate.
    Thundersnake likes this.
  20. MyShadower All-natural Intelligence

To compensate for the proc nerf and make their ports more useful, while in combat, all port spells summon level appropriate swarm pets from whatever zone it normally ports too. No cooldowns, no blocking, let 'em mix and match! ;)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.