What 4th to add to SK+Shm+Zerker? (Mangler, 70+ content)

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Hinastrom, Feb 11, 2021.

1. Hinastrom Elder

I'm considering a variety of options, my trio is currently in the 40's and could use more dps.

I don't use any automation and as such I don't really want to add anymore melee. I'm concerned that the required amount of button presses needed on these 3 might already be on the high side once im 70.

How useful are ports in the 70+ game? I could go Wiz, simple, solid dps.

Bard is an option, but I think it's a lower dps choice. I'm leaning towards higher dps. Could do mage, but I think i'd rather just go Wiz to have ports as well.

An Enchanter would be amazing till I hit post GoD content, as I understand, where charm becomes less useful. Sure would be nice to have the buffs though, and never worry about pulling adds. I'm not really sure what enchanters do in groups in the 70's, tbh.

Necro is even an option, although the utility is limited.

Any input is appreciated.
  2. Hinastrom Elder

I'm considering a variety of options, my trio is currently in the 40's and could use more dps.

I don't use any automation and as such I don't really want to add anymore melee. I'm concerned that the required amount of button presses needed on these 3 might already be on the high side once im 70.

How useful are ports in the 70+ game? I could go Wiz, simple, solid dps.

Bard is an option, but I think it's a lower dps choice. I'm leaning towards higher dps. Could do mage, but I think i'd rather just go Wiz to have ports as well.

An Enchanter would be amazing till I hit post GoD content, as I understand, where charm becomes less useful. Sure would be nice to have the buffs though, and never worry about pulling adds. I'm not really sure what enchanters do in groups in the 70's, tbh.

Necro is even an option, although the utility is limited.

Any input is appreciated.
  3. Darchon_Xegony Augur

Bard is your best option. With melody and a few macros for Quick Time/Fierce Eye/Epic 2.0 the DPS gains on your SK/Zerker are going to be more than most other classes you could add. Also bard adds mez to your trio which is quite valuable in several future missions.
    Barton and Nolrog like this.
  4. ForumBoss Augur

Bard would be my choice, or monk for pure dps if you have a bard friend. Bard and monk are both near zero effort to box and contribute a lot. Wiz and necro really are much higher effort to box as you have to load up and chain the right spells, manage mana, resists and so on. Way down the line, 5 plus expansions later, a second zerker or bst is pretty good. But the bst would be harder to box.
  5. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I would go bard, but also make an enchanter on the bard account, most of the time a bard will be great, but there will be times an enchanter is what you need.
    Nolrog likes this.
  6. Accipiter Old Timer

7. Metanis Bad Company

Bard for sure. Song of Travel alone will make boxing so much easier!
  8. Machen New Member

Bard. Especially with mercs coming soon to round out your group.
  9. Foaming I Drank Bleach IRL Once

Bard. It just hyper synergizes with that group.
  10. Drampire New Member

Bard and another zerker
  11. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

Bard, 2nd zerker, monk.
  12. Baldur Augur

Once you put a bard in your group you'll never want to go without one.

Once you hit TSS and level 75, bards are topping dps charts, it's the only expansion they do really, but boastful bellow sees a massive increase. And if your fights take longer than 18 seconds bards can do really good dps with it.

I'm not sure what else you're looking for that would be less buttons to press, casters are way more button presses than melee. I will say the zerker is more button presses than other melees except for maybe rangers. Monks are the least button pressy melee.
  13. Gremin Augur

Bard
    No seriously bard

Bard
  14. Tritonia Journeyman

This is a really easy answer and people have already said it twice. SK, SHM, BRD is the strongest trio in game by quite a bit. Strongest 4 is that plus a dps. You have SK, SHM, and a dps.
  15. Zinth Augur

bard bard bard... it adds so much dps, mana/hp regen that you can go nonstop, so your shammy can do more dps and less healing too and your SK can tap way more and the zerker just loves a bard, doing even more dps = more dead mobs = more loot and more exp, not to mention running around zones with bard invis is LOVELY (and fast)
  16. Fred_Bear Lorekeeper

Bard.

Single pulls when stuff gets realllly hard are going to be a godsend.
    Zinth likes this.
  17. Karanthal Augur

I was always of the same opinion, casters would need less attention than melee, but the opposite is actually the case. In short fights you can single click a caster macro to assist and cast 1-2 spells. In longer fights though you are juggling which macro has finished on which box so you can run it again, how much aggro a box may have, do I need to med/is it safe to med. Melee on the other hand are basically just /follow for position and 1 macro to assist. You may have a button or two to press but combat is far easier and melee DPS is so much better than caster.

I ran war/clr/brd/wiz/mag/enc up to the end of DoN on mangler then swapped the wiz/mag/enc for monk/zerk/shm. I do miss the QoL you get from ports and coth, but in terms of ease once in a zone and raw power the melee group is far stronger with worse gear and fewer AAs still.
  18. Fred_Bear Lorekeeper

I played a Ranger/Bard from Velious to Depths of Darkhollow. Swapped the bard for a Shaman to keep up heals when the mobs started hitting harder.

Ended up adding back a bard (3rd acct) for bard speed, single pulls, overhaste, mana regen etc etc in SoF and haven't looked back. I feel the 3 can do alot. Plus add in some mercs for extra heals and it gives me time to mez lock a mob on the bard, or get everything slowed on the sham.

One reason I like RNG/BRD/SHM is that when i need to, i can let the merc tank, stand back on the ranger and /autofire while I run the bard around single pulling, and when they get back to camp swap to sham to /slow then I can let the Merc Cler focus on healing while i focus on the more complicated elements.

Pre-UF I would just pull multiples and then fight through it, or mezz or off-root etc. Starting with UF, I really learned how to single pull with the bard, because trash mobs hitting for 6-8k reallly work through your hps even at 50-60k