Shaman or something else?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Aluimar, Feb 2, 2021.

1. Aluimar New Member

So with luclin about to launch, I was thinking about giving aradune a go. I was thinking about playing a shaman, but I'm concerned about getting groups with so many beasts flooding the server. Should I reconsider? I'm wanting to play a class that doesn't take forever to get groups as well as can handle some content on its own, hence why I was thinking shaman. Thoughts?
  2. Thewiz Augur

It's Luclin. The answer is always Ranger.
  3. Lejaun Augur

Tank - Cleric - Enchanters are probably the best for getting groups. Now is the time to join, because you can level up with all of those beasts (or new Vah Shir warriors/bards/rogues/shamans). If you want to play a shaman, go for it. The next 2-3 weeks will be the best time for a brand new character to join Aradune or Rizlona.
  4. ECrack Augur

Shaman is a great option. A very powerful solo class. However, as with all classes there are pros and cons. So here we go.

Pros: Highly sought for groups due to the ability to slow mobs!! and do other stuff too. (Tons of buffs, good heals, and a splash of DPS). Can solo most things including named mobs even if they have to face tank as long as they can land slow.

Cons: DPS is meh unless you really want to tear through some mana. The ability for a shaman to single pull a mob with several other social mobs around it can try one's patience and sometimes affect ones experience bar.

Here are my two cents. No class will take forever to get a group if that person is sending tells and MAKING the group. It's the lazy people who sit with LFG on all day as a rogue who complain about not getting groups. Just make the damn group, you'll have one in a couple of minutes.

All classes have their role to play in any group (including Necros). But not all classes are decent at soloing. So if you want a class that can solo your options become more limited.

So, I guess I'll consider your "class that doesn't take forever to get groups" thing and prioritize this list from the perspective of: These are the classes from "best" to "worst" that can get groups easily and do a decent job at soloing in Luclin era.

This will be controversial but this is just my 20+ years of experience and knowledge of EQ talking, so do what you want with it.

The list:

1. Enchanter
    2. Shaman
    3. Magician
    4. Bard
    5. Ranger
    6. Cleric
    7. Necromancer
    8. Druid
    9. SK
    10. Beastlord
    11. Monk
    12. Wizard
    13. Paladin
    14. Warrior
    15. Rogue

Again, the list is not "Who is the best soloer in the game". It is How easy it is to get groups while simultaneously considering their ability to solo.

I hope this helps.
  5. Fluid Augur

I'm 90%+ Rizlona with most of the left over on Aradune. Both of the servers are mature in that people are mostly running their maxed characters to raid and gear up. I see the same lack of players below level 60 on both servers.

I think the Lucin expansion going in today has Paludal Caverns which is considered one of the best leveling areas to date. If you are going to find groups, that should be the the area to do it. I think we also get Vah Shir and Beast Lords so people will be running those up.

So yes, probably the best time to start you will see for the next year<???> in that the only better one would be a new TLP server which is an unknown. Shaman is in the upper half of characters that can solo and is good for grouping and end game too. IOW, no matter what the roll of the dice comes up, you will be OK with a Shaman and now.
  6. Fred_Bear Lorekeeper

When I made my first comeback to EQ on live servers, after I left for 3 years, I came back as a Shaman (Previously Nec & Ranger). Shaman's are great because they CAN solo.

Root + Dot = WIN.
    SLOW+DOT+HoT+Pet+Melee can be used for Summoning Mobs.

When I returned in 08/09, Mercs had just come out so I ran Sham + Tank merc up to cap (level 80) and was able to Merc-Solo my entire Epic 1.0, 1.5 and 2.0 (Sans the Anguish Orb) just as a group geared (Defiant crapola) Shaman with Tank merc.

Sooo long term, You will be in demand in groups, and when mercs hit you will be able to be your OWN group if you so choose. Plus, as a Sham you can basically grab any War/Pal/SK/Ranger to tank a group for you from 0-60 and then infill all dps as needed.

Plus you don't have to run slowly since you get SOW at like lvl 4.

IF you plan on running more than 1 account, go to Rizlona. If you NEVER want to box, go to Aradune.

Oh, and no one will ever choose a BST over a SHM to fill a slot unless they already have a SHM. Even in a poorly built group of PAL+CLER+ENCH+BARD+DRUID would go... do we want a shaman or a beastlord? They'd say Gives us the shaman for those buffs / Slows, the druid can go full mini-wiz and the sham can DOT.
  7. ayoforYayoh Augur

To achieve literal greatness you have to create a shaman named Shamanda Huginkiss.
    Main this until we catch up to live and all of your wildest fantasies will come true.
  8. Ezra Journeyman

I have a 58 shaman on Aradune, yet I sometimes struggle to get groups. One thing to consider is that a lot of players box a shaman, so they don't need to invite another. When you do get a group, you'll share it with said boxed shaman--which has the added bonus that the boxer thinks he knows how to play your class better than you do.
  9. Xhartor Augur

A lot of people don't mention that Shaman get an AE slow. Most of the good exp spot in this era are pulls of multiple mobs at a time. It's a great spell.

Shaman only get better in the coming expansions.
  10. Machen New Member

This. Shaman can solo heal most of the best xp camps in Luclin with AE slow, even with mass pulls. Plus you've got malo for the ench charm pet. The only downside is no rez.
    Kobra likes this.
  11. Kobra Augur

This. I have been using a shaman as my only healer and its worked out great except the lack of rez, but I don't typically die so its not a problem.