Are bazaar automated price script users causing lag?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Deux, Feb 7, 2021.

1. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I think it partly stems from the inability of some to see things from more then one side. They get upset about one aspect of the game and assume it affects everyone else in the same way and hence decide the game is dying because some aspect of the game is bothering them.

So basically it comes down to tunnel vision a lot of the time.
    Nennius and I_Love_My_Bandwidth like this.
  2. Xatt Journeyman

Get rid of the bazaar all together and head back to the commons tunnel...
    Jondalar likes this.
  3. Nennius Curmudgeon

I truly think some folks want this game TO die. Perhaps not consciously, but in a very subconscious way. And the tunnel vision part of things is something that I have certainly suffered from at times. There are times when a tree overwhelms the forest for me.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  4. Derka Power Ranger

Hmm what about a bazaar authentication that pops up after a set time of being in online trader mode?
  5. Windance Augur

Anything you can do ... the game can be scripted to do by some who wants to take the time / effort to do.

Anything you put in place that makes it challenging/annoying for real people to do , the better the chance someone is going to automate it.
  6. Flatchy Court Jester

So its your theory that scripts autoprice checking and repricing does nothing to contribute to lag, check.
  7. Flatchy Court Jester

I agree, particularly the ones that already quit the game and still come here to converse. Its like they are cheesed off that they jumped the gun early and were wrong. Nobody wants to be wrong, Heck the Fonz could not even say it!:p
  8. Pikachuuu New Member

Oof. This has been going on in FF14 for years, sucks to see it happening here now as well.
  9. Vumad Cape Wearer

Once you realize you can CTrL+SHIFt+click to get a price you realize that you can que every bit as fast as a bot, because the limitation is the server. A person can que the server for a price faster than the server can respond to the human.

The toons I see that I think are bots don't update their prices automatically when I manually update mine. It makes me think that the bots are queing a lot less frequently than some people think they are.

Bots might cause less server lag AT TIMES because they would have a pre-programed price adjustment, whereas I might change my price and then think about it and 1 item gets 3 price changes. That and I re-que the server on the items I changed the price on at the beginning when I get to the end.

The solution to a problem like this is never going to be arbitrary numbers, like 50 prices changes per day, because humans can easily exceed that. Computers on the other hand, once that metric has been identified, will ensure they function below it. It would impact humans more than bots. After all, the humans would still be held to those same limitations.

The difference is in the consistency of the computer compared to the human. The server identifying pattern behavior resulting in a flag for a review is the only real way to automate this. Arbitrary limitations don't offer a real solution.
  10. Zamiam Augur

lol if you keep a toon logged in JUST to log guild or general chat so you can read it later. I think you need to find something more constructive to do .. what are ya the hall monitor :p

and I think DBG needs to do something about the bots In baz .. if they wont do something then i'll start using a bot for baz also .. I use my 1 trader to buy my subs each month for a krono for 4 of my accounts (including the trader mule account) but its being more and more difficult (and I dont spend all my time on my trader) I go offline majority of time , however I usually have to log him in few times a day to re-adjust prices cause bots are undercutting me ..

I have my trader on a free basic account well not free cause i do pay(krono) to be able to use him for trader but what I mean is its a free account i have not spent any money on expansions, items, marketplace i dont have any other toons on this account or nothin so if DPG forces me to stoop to what the auctionbots are doing then 2 can play that game .. and if im the one that gets the ban hammer for it oh well no loss ..

maybe what they should do is if you want to use baz as a trader you have to own the current expansion .

you are correct I stay online for a multitude of reasons .. but usually not for my baz mule .. my other accounts yes ..
    Duder likes this.
  11. nitrocutter Journeyman

That is a terrible, terrible idea. That wouldn't stop bot scripts AT ALL.
  12. stevensg New Member

An auction system like other MMOs. That should fix it.
  13. Zamiam Augur

most of those baz auctionbots are on F2P accounts, meaning yes they pay for the account with krono so it does have all access , but the account has only up to RoS expansion .. if they made it to where you had to own the current expansion it would cut alot of those bot scripters out .. cause there is no way they would want to fork over the 5+ krono for the Gift: (expanion) ticket for each of there trader bots ..
    at least I know i wouldnt..
    Also my trader has only up to RoS expansion as well , so im shooting myself in the foot by suggesting this idea. I'm prepared to fork over the 30 bucks for the base expansion if need be if it helps clear the trash (auctionbots) a bit ..
  14. Metanis Bad Company

The bazaar is a marketplace. The worst thing you can do is impose artificial constraints on it. If it's truly causing DBG issues then it's really easy for them to correct them by simply throttling activity. But I would be surprised if bazaar activities comprised even 0.1% of their cpu cycles or network load. It's a stupid database and a rather small one at that.
  15. Svann2 The Magnificent

I can see your point, however technically if its all access its not F2P. Maybe f2p wasnt what you meant.
  16. Duder Augur

Not cheating is a rule to the game it is a part of. AFK Automating scripts to undercut people at regular timed intervals is about as toxic as it gets. If you support cheating in the name of an artificial game market then you are part of the problem.
    Flatchy likes this.
  17. Metanis Bad Company

So the thread really has nothing to do with "lag", it's all about hurt feelings. Nice to know.
  18. Duder Augur

Not my thread, sounds like you really enjoy your automated trader though.
    Flatchy likes this.
  19. Svann2 The Magnificent

I can only agree with this 2nd point. If the bazaar searches lagged out eq it would lag all zones. We are only seeing major lag in cov. Go to freeport and there isnt any.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  20. Duder Augur

Untrue. We see lag in CoV because we spend our time in CoV. How much time do you spend in old world zones that are populated? Load 40 people into lower guk and you will experience the same sort of issues.
    Corwyhn Lionheart and Zamiam like this.