Maps

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Kolaisa, Feb 5, 2021.

1. Whoops Augur

Ok, please try this:

The only way I can try to reproduce the map not being there is to repeatedly drag the drawn part to the side, with much zooming and panning. A few times, I've managed to shove it around enough that searching for something on the map still doesn't make the map appear non-blank. It's possible that for some unknown reason, a few zones are centering themselves in the middle of nowhere when you open them.

Open the map for one of the zones that won't display for you. Click the search button. Click anything at all in that list. Click hide. Use the mouse wheel to scroll all the way out, so it is as un-zoomed as it will go, even if it is still appearing blank. Click the clear button next to the search button. Scroll out a lot again. Click the search button again, and pick something else on the list. Click hide again, and scroll out again. (Repeating this part as needed, because one of my attempts to screw up the map display did successfully screw it up enough that one search result was not enough to recenter it in a visible state.) At some point, hopefully, this should recenter the map with at least enough of it displaying that you can orient yourself on it to zoom/center it properly.

And yes, I know that it may seem obvious that having the map too zoomed in or too far to the side would make it appear blank and you'd have tried to scroll in and out. As I said, in trying to make my otherwise functional maps appear broken, I managed to jam it off to the side somewhere enough that scrolling all the way out still left it looking empty.

FWIW, people are jumping to the basic stuff because that's frequently what is actually causing the problem. People will say they've "reinstalled something" when a) there's not actually an installer, and b) they're just dropping a zip file in a directory instead of unzipping it, etc. We're not trying to treat you like an idiot, we're just trying to be sure that we're not making assumptions about what you've said that are, ultimately, incorrect.
  2. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

This can also be simplified by using the search button and searching for a known npc or mob in that zone - even if it doesn't make a path it will at least leave a red X. Unless its broke like OP and the couple ones I have.
  3. Kolaisa Elder

Let me try and explain this more simply.

I have reinstalled the maps, multiple times, under multiple different versions.
    This happens no matter whos maps I use, both brewalls AND goods maps show ZERO, they are blank for the previously mentioned zones.
    My maps are installed in C:\Users\Public\Daybreak Game Company\Installed Games\EverQuest\maps
    I have seperate folders for brewalls and another for goods.
    This has happened using a friends maps that DO work for them, NOT for me.
    Ive even gone as far as reinstalling the game itself and it happens on a brand new install. It happens every time with these zones.

There IS info for each of the blank maps, but it never shows.
  4. Angahran Augur

There is the number one cause of countless problems with EQ.
    Never, ever, ever install EQ into the default folder that EQ suggests!

Windows does all sorts of weird things to files under the \users\ folder structure.

Try this
    1. Create a new folder C:\Games\
    2. Copy your EverQuest folder into C:\Games, so now you have C:\Games\EverQuest\
    3. Run EQ from this new folder.
    Metanis, Barton and Nennius like this.
  5. Kolaisa Elder

Everytime Ive put it elsewhere i've had nothing but problems to the point I installed it there and had no problems.

These problems with the maps have happened no matter where its installed.
  6. Rasper Helpdesk The Original Helpdesk

Random thought.

Go into the map folder and delete the map files for one of the zones that don't work. Choose a zone that does work, make a copy of the file, then rename it to the one that you deleted.

So, for example, check to make sure that the map for Western Wastes in the original velious expansion displays then exit out of EQ.
    Delete westwastestwo.txt, westwastestwo_1.txt, westwastestwo_2.txt, and westwastestwo_3.txt.
    Make a copy of westwastes.txt (the geometry file for the original ww from velious).
    Change the copy's name to westwastestwo.txt
    Load EQ and see if new Western Wastes shows anything.

If it does, then there was something hinky with the new map file that prevented it from loading.
    If it doesn't, then you know it isn't an issue with the file itself.