Are bazaar automated price script users causing lag?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Deux, Feb 7, 2021.

1. Svann2 The Magnificent

IDK, Im not seeing really fast undercutting on BB. Yea I get undercut but many times I come back after running all night and Im still lowest price on most of my stuff.
  2. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Punish who? It takes 1-2 minutes to set up your trader, tops.
  3. Duder Augur

I don't think you're experienced enough to make claims that BB doesn't have large automated undercutting scripters then, because there are numerous that operate 24/7 with impunity, through months of weekly petitions. DB is riding the sinking boat out. The "rules" hardly apply any more. Rules define a game and the number one sign of impending end is the lack of enforcement that define the game world. Happens with almost all games in their death throes. People have been saying EQ is dying for 20 years, but they were going off the wrong signs. ;)
  4. Flatchy Court Jester

If they want to test that theory , just shut the bazar down for a few days and see what that does for lag.

Incomming whinefest from the baz players heh heh.
    minimind and Duder like this.
  5. Coagagin Guild house cat

No that would be the best 'acid test' available, hands down. Politically unpalatable? Sure it is but no one could argue the results. Suggest doing so on popular raid nights such as Wednesdays or weekends.

- Coag
    minimind and Duder like this.
  6. Smokezz The Bane Crew

It's a combination of a lot of things... hundreds of people sitting online 24/7 for zero reason. The scripts doing bazaar checks. The procs. Perhaps an underlying host machine for the servers that's running near 100% CPU load (If this is the case, servers are cheap - if you buy off lease machines that are a few years old... look into that if it's the cost of brand new hardware holding it back)
    Duder likes this.
  7. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Throttle in stages:

1-50 searches : Full speed
    51-100 searches : one per 15 seconds
    101+ : one per minute
    Svann2 likes this.
  8. Stageguy Lorekeeper

I would imagine booting everyone who is AFK for more than 2 hours would do a lot for server lag. FV has at least a hundred permanently afk players at any given time.
  9. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Try this and see if it help your lag:

April 15, 2020 patch
    - Renamed the /hideafk command to /hidemodels.
    - Added options to hide all players, pets, or mercenaries, even if they are not AFK. Group and raid marked targets will not be hidden

Booting people who are afk might not work how one wants it since you can set yourself to never go/show afk
    minimind likes this.
  10. Svann2 The Magnificent

Interesting idea but you need to add another time factor. Maybe if someone does over 50 searches in an hour then it limits to one per 15 seconds after that for the next hour. And I dont know if thats the right number but you get the idea.
  11. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Yeah, meant to include per 24 hours
  12. Smokezz The Bane Crew

Oh, they don't have to rely on people to set that. It would be pretty simple to code it in the client to see if no keys have been pushed in 2h, boot from server. Most mmo's already do this. 2 hours, they'd already have those precious buffs that most are sitting afk to get.
  13. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I mean seriously if you are playing on another account, or at your computer, why would you even bother to put your trader offline? Oh right so you can't see whats happening and or react to it. But I am sure ONLY autobotters raise or adjust prices. If I was to run a trader I would keep it up whenever I am around.

I can think of all sorts of reasons to stay online.

Running overseer

You can adjust your prices on the go. (not just autobots try to outbid you)

You may not have a play account going so you socialize while selling.

You want to restock without logging in and out again.

You are lazy and keep your toon logged in so you don't have to relog. I have done this from time to time with nothing to do with the baz. I like to keep at least one toon online to log guild chat or general chat.

Lots of reasons. I know folks who like to play the baz/barter game as much or more then going out and killing stuff. Each to their own I guess. I guess there isn't a lot of peeps out there doing that but suggestions like this would take away their fun.

I rarely notice any autobots in the baz but I suspect I would have to be looking a lot to spot them or be the one they are undercutting. Maybe I am not looking enough. I am on Xegony if anyone there wants to enlighten me via pm with examples I would love to see it.

I think peeps need to spend more time trying to look at things from the other side before stating things that simply fit with how they do things.

I mean I get it those who say force all traders to be offline prefer to have THEIR traders offline so lets force everyone to do it because traders who stay online have an advantage over those that don't.

I spend just a few minutes thinking about this and came up with all sorts of reasons folks would stay online.
  14. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

How do you know how long it takes folks to set up their trader? Dude.... you can't judge everyone by how you do things.
  15. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Other then x number of players being offline I suspect it would make no visible difference. If daybreak if fine with people leaving their toons doing nothing online I doubt they would bother with anything regarding those in the baz though.
  16. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Regarding your first paragraph I get DPs side of it. I dont think it is simply putting up a trader to see if you are undercut a few times. That could just be a player so it would have to be an extended period. A lot of work for the limited resources DP gives their CS folks I suspect.

Any DP response or investigation needs to be very easy for them. In a perfect world they would be able to turn on an account monitor to record any unusual behavior like rapid price changes.

I also question how much this is going on and I suspect its bad on some servers but not on others and that it is usually only one or two people. If here were lots of these folks they would all be constantly underbidding each other so that simple fact limits how many of them are out there in my opinion.

As to your second paragraph I don't understand what you were trying to get at. Is it that Daybreak thinks changing the baz will affect krono sales?
  17. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Everyone that makes a claim of DBs end think all the other reasons for it were the wrong one :)
    Duder likes this.
  18. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

I have never understood the reasoning behind those posts. Do posts claiming the end of EverQuest make the poster feel powerful or something?
  19. Nargoul Journeyman

Eh, they’re not wrong the game is dying. It’s a slow demise, because the community does its best to keep it going. The interviews with the old developers make it pretty clear that EQ1 wasn’t a priority and it shows.
    Metanis likes this.
  20. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Well everything is dying. Entropy and all that.
    Nennius, Metanis and Tatanka like this.