Character Transfers

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by kygo007, Feb 5, 2021.

1. Dythan Ban Lev in Plane of Fire guy

So in the end, this guy is right.
    Qelil likes this.
  2. Febb Augur

Account to account transfers aren't something that the devs handle. Account to account transfers would be something their CS department would handle. They would have to look into the history of the two accounts to make sure the person owns both accounts and then verify all items were transferred over.

This isn't a code issue or a database issue, that can be handled fairly simple for anyone who has any experience in SQL. Look higher up the chain of command as to why this isn't around.

The company has been downsizing for a while now and I bet they cut out all sorts of programs their CS handles for them to be able to process tickets in a efficient manner and account to account transfers was one of those programs.
  3. Crowded New Member

I am certain if enough people are interested in having it done, that they will do something about it (it is in their best interest to do so) and make money monthly as well (for people that dont use krono all the time) and even then, someone has to initially buy the krono anyhow. It's a win win situation for Darkpaw.
    Qelil likes this.
  4. Entice New Member

I myself have petitioned Darkpaw for having a character moved. The answer that I received was that they look at the forums, and indeed, if there is enough interest for having it done, that they would look into coming up with a solution. So keep those posts going for those that would like this to become a reality, and perhaps the EQ gods will notice our pleas.
    Froglok and Kaenneth like this.
  5. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Your right, it was 15 years ago not 20:

2005 Rates:

New EverQuest rates as of June 12, 2005:
    • $14.99 per Month
    https://www.everquest.com/news/imported-eq-enus-50010#:~:text=President John Smedley.-,Due to the increased costs of running the EverQuest game,our subscription rates in June.&text=The new price for a,subscription will now be $143.88.

But the whole point was its dirt cheap then and still is now. Why the personal aggressive response? Didn't mean to train you with Fippy Darkpaw;)
    Nennius likes this.
  6. Mesc Old Soul

[/quote="Qelil, post: 3999010, member: 409644"]Yeah, that will help a lot.

It is not a developer's job to tell the management what you want. I suggest you grow some motivation and you do it yourself! Write to the management and tell them what you want. Then, if you wouldn't mind please get back to us with how it all turns out for you. Now before you get mad at me I do hope that you will keep in mind that I made no comment about your balls or you needing to grow any which is more than you did for "one of the devs" who is already half out of their mind in eternal crunch mode in all likelihood trying their best to keep your damned game running. Believe me, you have absolutely no idea what software developers go though.

You should be thanking a resource starved crew for slaving to keep this game alive. I hope you don't imagine they are the ones making all the money? I promise you they aren't.[/quote

<Yea that would help alot. Who do you think Management would listen to more? Me or the Devs? Or did you think at all? It has been years that we have been asking for this to happen. If you don't want transfers fine. Doesnt mean no one else does. I have thanked this crew by buying the Expansion and paying monthly. Again if you actually comprehended what i wrote first, you would see i said to try to get another dev for it so nothing is taken away from the other deys or maybe keep him/her on after fixing transfers. and once this is done it is nothing but pure profit after they make there money back. You really should brush up on your reading skills.>
  7. Mesc Old Soul

8. dreadlord Augur

As has been said before.....
    They would make a lot more money than the one-off char transfer fee
    For eg, personally, I wouldn't pay loads to transfer. But if I could move some heavily played alts to new accounts, I'd be paying the annual sub and buying expansions for those additional accounts until they turn the last server off
    And, again to reiterate, there are people desperate to move various toons for various reasons and pay pretty much as many hundred dollars as it would take.
  9. Nargoul Journeyman

There’s just so much individual character progression that starting over on a fresh character can just seem overwhelming. Definitely, agreed would be a great feature to bring back.
    dreadlord likes this.
  10. Kaenneth [You require Gold access to view this title]

Right, who wants to do PoP progression on live servers now?
    Nargoul and dreadlord like this.
  11. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

You'll never see account to account transfers for one reason and one reason only: they create help tickets. They don't want petitions if they can avoid that. Account to Account transfers are filled with help tickets. I left something in my shared bank. I meant to send this toon to this account, I chose the wrong one. I didn't read the fine print and that my bank didn't follow me.

The issue then becomes, the extravagant cost of account to account transfers would make Dark Paw feel obliged to help with player error on such transfers. That makes them have to do a bunch more work for customer satisfaction that lessens the value of offering the service in the first place.

I'm not saying I agree with the practice of ticket avoidance, but it's what we're dealing with like it or not.
  12. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Or maxing tradeskills
  13. MyShadower All-natural Intelligence

I doubt the transfer fee is the payoff. If that is all they look at, that is shortsighted.

The account is a better entry point into your wallet than additional characters on one account. The sub/expansions/add on features. I'm sure they could dig through their data and decipher the value of users that maintain multiple accounts.

I would wager they could charge a higher fee for account to account too.

From a coding standpoint, it does sound silly that it is such a project to link a character to a different account.
    Nargoul likes this.
  14. Bumtil New Member

Pleaaaase bring back account-to-account character transfers. The October post at least makes it sound like they are working on it and gave a 'few months' rough glimpse into their timeline. Devs, any updates or ETA you can add? Many thanks.
  15. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Sorry that is not a "post" in October. That is the last updated date of the help area on the main EQ site under transferring a character instructions. It has had the same wording for the last 5 years, it just gets the date updated now and then.

Once again the latest info is from Jchen in Aug 2000 - not happening.
  16. Qelil Augur

Oh, I see. They have resources but they just don't fix the lag, make expansions like they used to, fix outstanding bugs or implement transfers because well, "they just don't do it" which I am guessing implies they just don't feel like it?

It's about development priorities. It's about money. It's about spending it on this game and that is decided by top management not a developer being told to grow a pair and yell at their boss because we want something. The unreasonableness of that was what prompted me to respond. I should not have bothered in retrospect. The ridiculousness of that assertion speaks for itself.

Going by the state of the game I am seeing at this time I find it very hard to believe they have adequate resources to even get the problems under control in a timely fashion because if they did it stands to reason that they would. People do not generally shoot themselves in the foot on purpose.
  17. Qelil Augur

I can read just fine thank you. You said that one of the developers should grow a pair implying they are a coward to not have already gone to bat for customers on this one issue. If you still believe that was a good way to approach this, I'm sorry but I can't help you.

I will say that I hope it eventually does get implemented. I would use the service myself if it existed. Maybe once things settle down regarding the acquisition of the company if the new management sees fit to spend more money on EverQuest we can see stuff like this and more happen. Hope springs eternal as they say.

Meantime, I think most would agree and hope that fixing the current server lag issues is the number one priority and stays that way until the problem is completely fixed. After that just for fun we could debate what other priorities ought to be I guess. My vote for next priority would be to see an expansion to rival the great ones of years gone by next time which would be a major project taking more resources than they have now I think. If we get to a point where stability and content are not sources of significant complaints, it would be great if various back burner items like this one could happen too.
  18. stevensg New Member

They would have made a lot of money by implementing more meaningful things in the monetization system (per-item prestige unlock, per live server AOC request for example) but instead we just got more ( looking IMO) skins and exp pots. It feels like they don't have anybody experienced enough to handle f2p monetization, or their game code base is so messed up they just stop trying and they are just waiting for the game to sunset.
  19. Entice New Member

A good money maker for them, many people have alts that they would like transferred, thus paying for additional accounts, and expansions. Why turn your back on money?
    cadres likes this.
  20. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

It somewhat inhibits the production and sale of PLed puppet accounts.

I personally don't believe it was ever a technical issue, but a classic SOON (tm), ie a stall the question until people stop asking, without the vendor saying exactly why and admitting it's a thing, which they do not wish to "Streisand Effect" backhandedly advertising the service.

The same way Sony would never admit that EQPlayers was a common route to harass and track ex wives, ex guildmates, ex friends, etc.

SOON(tm)