Live or TLC?

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Nirrtix, Jan 31, 2021.

1. Nirrtix Journeyman

I am currently a P1999 exile, there are some things that entice me about live and the TLC.
    The TLC:
    -you will be able to explore and group in classic dungeons more easily.
    -is more classic, however will have the redesigned zones, some of which are atrocious like Freeport.
    -do not have a complete classic feel.
    -with 12 week unlocks for expansions I often wonder if it will pass too fast when leveling.
    Live servers:
    -Have more newer content, which most of I have never seen.
    -Until level 70 or so I would be Moloing, which is kinda un appealing.
    -Has AA's from the beginning and more races and classes.

I am unsure which to play, please explain me any misconceptions about either.
  2. Aegir Augur

If you play regularly on a TLP - and past Luclin and PoP expansion (lv 65) have a good social network to group with(Very Important), you won't have any issues keeping up with levels and AAs.

However, if you tend to take breaks from the server due to Real Life - or just lack of interest in the game, Live servers are much more forgiving.

TLPs when they launch, have the Classic "feel" for a very short time, and decays very rapidly into just being social with your guild and eventually just being social with friends you group with.

Pick up Groups will die out fast. But if you don't intend on playing a TLP beyond the first 3-4 expansions, you should be able to find a pick up group - but after that, they dissappear fast.

If you enjoy the classic groups and exp grinds, P99 is much better. But If you want to Raid classic content (Which is slightly modernized with a lot of QoL improvements) and obtain most of the best gear from each era, TLP servers are a much better option.

Live Servers might be a big bite if you come from P99 without any other EverQuest experience. My most recent Everquest journey has been Phinigel TLP server from Classic - to where we are now at only 1 expansion left before we hit Live Servers.

On Live you have many more tools to play with even as the most "basic" class. It may be overwhelming at first, but if you are patient and willing to learn, you will catch it pretty quick.

But it's not EverQuest as you know it. I enjoy live era better, but also bear in mind that I've already been through the whole TLP wheel. Some live servers are still more populous than the current most popular TLP and holds a more varied base of players, from casuals that never raid - to the most hardcore players across all servers. It would be a good idea to log on to different live servers and join their general channel to check the vibes before deciding which to start up on.
    Zinth likes this.
  3. TheStugots Augur

Don’t go chasing water falls...