Lifecycle of a TLP Server

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Silver-Crow, Jan 28, 2021.

1. Silver-Crow Augur

With Selo's, Phinny and Miragul hitting live this year, there's been alot of talk about What's going to happen.

This kind of got me thinking about TLP lifespan in General. It seems clear that most of the newer TLP's are on life support by the time they hit Seeds. With at least 2 new TLP's opening every year, it does dilute the population somewhat which in turn promotes the constant server hopping.

Instead of new servers this year could we look at a Rizlona Ruleset (i.e. no truebox) sweeper server opening at Live.

We could then look at:

1. Offer free transfers to the sweeper server once your TLP hit's Seeds.... i.e. easy to do but not mandatory if you really really want to stay put. This encourages a natural migration/progression off the 'old' TLP, to allow empty servers to be sunsetted.
    2. If your TLP makes it to live, then it's automatically merged into the sweeper... not vox or another live server. obviously this will apply to selo/phinny/miragul this year. Special rulesets would default to the ruleset of the sweeper server.
    3. Dead TLP's could then be sunsetted when they officially reach fippy status, and be automatically merged into the sweeper... i.e. there's a definite destination.

Of course The Sweeper server is still a TLP, so would still require a subscription.

Anyway the point is... have a proper destination server that has a known ruleset, has no truebox, but still has the TLP enhancements i.e. picks, AOC's and at opening and has no previous history e.g. housing, player names etc. If it's then easy to get there once your TLP hits late game, then i think we'll have closed the loop and completed the TLP lifecycle.
  2. Machen New Member

There's no need for this. All it would do is encourage folks to not stick around for the late expansions. You can already transfer to live any time you want.

With the removal of voting, all new TLP's will eventually make live. There is no need to hasten their demise.

A better thing to think about would be how to consolidate players who want to play SoD+ onto one server instead of having them scattered across 3-4 servers at various stages, each struggling. There are enough players out there that would want to play this content that if DPG thought of a way to bring them together, it would be successful.
  3. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Miragul 2.0

Miragul 1.0 but with no truebox & the addition of AoC.
  4. jeskola pheerie

I read that as a 3-year-old child saying "The Sleeper Server" since we did have a server with that name.
  5. Silver-Crow Augur

This really was a suggestion to do just that and gather people together instead of knocking your head in on a dead server. Bear in mind that SOD+ is still there on the Sweeper servers if you want to play those expacs. If any guilds make the jump then it's just a case of agreeing to cap levels (all xp to aa) till you've completed the expac.

No solution is perfect i agree, and i suspect it's just going to be a vox dump solution.
    To me, the above would be preferable.
  6. Tymeless Augur

I think a master server where all the TLPs get merged once they hit live is a wonderful idea. My concern is what is the ruleset. I think the ruleset needs to be different than a live server if its going to continue to require the subscription to play on.
  7. Machen New Member

You are literally eliminating half the progression from progression. What you are suggesting is like saying to the TLP crowd, "Well Kunark is there on live servers, you can just play it there if you want. You don't need a TLP."
  8. Tweakfour17 Augur

Exactly, hence the idea to merge Coirnav and Ragefire since for a brief moment in time 2 tlps should be in the same expansion. No loss of progression, just some ruleset bending.
    Skuz likes this.
  9. Silver-Crow Augur

But that's the point you don't have to go during SOD. If your server is healthy, stay and have a blast during the later expacs. If your server is dying, then give the people the option of a free transfer to the sweeper TLP.

No one is saying thou must go during SOD, but it would be nice if the free transfer option opened up during SOD.
  10. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I've played on way less populated games that didn't charge for server moves at all, resulting in fewer well populated servers rather than a sprawl of mostly dead ones.

EQ could actually allow players to redistribute themselves by opening up a free transfer window between a few low pop servers rather than the headaches of entire server merges.

Similarly opening free transfers between TLP & the "Sweeper" server doesn't force players to move like a merge does but it allows players to move all of their characters to a better populated server if they wish.

For example were they to instead of merging Ragefire & Coirnav just open free transfers to Ragefire from Coirnav the ones who want to move can just go do that and you don't even have to get into the arguments around server rules, the ones moving are accepting their target server rules implicitly.
    Tymeless likes this.