Failure rate on research augments

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by eqMath, Jan 25, 2021.

1. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

So the solution there is the expanded use of minimum skill required to create, this would block attempts that are going to be too costly to attempt, the devs may see that as a plat sink they want but the argument this is a poor user experience is a valid justification.
  2. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Disagree all you like, the logic is sound, if the ceiling for skill is raised then it is only rational to expect crafters to be expected to have a higher skill level your disagreement is an entirely emotional one.

Okay, so I play on the Phinigel TLP, I only started working on the pre-quests & AP in the beginning of EoK & the AP itself in RoS, we are now in TBL and I have 3 tradeskills at the max level as a raider with a 4 days a week raiding schedule and 95%+ raid attendance.
    Phinigel has only 8 weeks or 12 weeks per expansion. So I have completed all the prequests, the AP quest and have 3 tradeskills maxed in just over 20 weeks (Blacksmithing, Pottery, Fishing) and well on my way to maxing a 4th (Tailoring at 337), while you have none maxed after 4 years plus and you don't even raid.

The one big advantage I have over you is that I have access to AoC which was especially useful for the PoP flagging requirements of the AP as I play a Berserker so I had zero PoP flagging since my class cannot even be created until Gates of Discord & I was only able to hit max level after the guild I was in was no longer doing that PoP content & were farming Omens of War & Dragons of Norrath was unlocked.

Many of my guild mates had started work on AP prior to TDS unlocking as they had the benefit of being able to do at least the pre-quests in advance knowing that the AP would be available to do then. By TDS some 10 guildies already had their AP & started on the journey to 350. Some have now finished maxing it. I have the AP on all 3 of my characters (2 are my regular boxes) though I only plan on maxing to 350 on my main only.

Okay so your objection is entirely emotional, you don't actually enjoy trade skills or investing in the trade skill system on your character and yet you still feel like your lackadaisical approach still gives you a strong position to argue from?

I discount your disagreement completely out of hand on the basis that you have no serious position to argue from, you slacked on trade skills and feel that the system is not allowing you to be a slacker basically.
    I am 2 expansions & 3 and a half years behind you in available time, and that's without taking into account I raid 4 days a week and you do not and I am almost halfway done on my mains AP.
  3. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

What I find unreasonable here is players thinking that a new or returning player should even expect to be able to tackle recipes in a mature crafting system that has been built around the maxing of trophies since Prophecy of Ro & the Artisan Prize attained in TDS and maxed to varying degrees in the 4+ years since its introduction.

That said I think the trade skill system should do a better job of making players aware of needing things like 350 skill and the bonus from AA & the AP prior to attempting recipes over a certain threshold perhaps by way of a tooltip warning/advisory in the trade skill container, something the devs can probably roll out through a UI modification.
  4. Svann2 The Magnificent

Some people would complain if they werent allowed to even try to make it.
    Moege and Skuz like this.
  5. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Its not just you ive been making the tov ones from last expansion same trival and cov seem to fail alot more could just be me but it seems to. Not exactly cheap either as cleaning solution and rune binding stain are just over 5k pp off vendor (that vendor has made a killing off me these last few or 3 expansions haha)

Andarriel
  6. OlavSkullcrusher Augur

You had said:

So does this mean that you did not make any Conflagrant when RoS opened because you hadn't finished the AP yet? And you haven't done any combines from EoK + in the skills that you haven't gotten to 350? Because that's what you said was required, basically.

If you are going to "discount [my] disagreement completely out of hand", then perhaps you should revisit what it was you had said that I am disagreeing with.

You seem to have focused entirely on the fact that I am a "slacker" that doesn't put in the hours to max everything out uber-style as soon as possible the way that you do rather than understanding what I was saying. I am saying that getting skills to 350 and doing the AP are very long processes and that it is not reasonable to expect people to finish that before doing any combines for recipes put in with EoK or after, which is what you had said was expected.

Congratulations on being a raider with 95% attendance and all of your other uberness.
  7. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

No, I made quite a lot of Conflagrant in RoS, for myself & others and going in I EXPECTED a lot of failures to be the case, as I was not at 350 in everything - so for my first run I had farmed & stored enough components to craft all the items for myself & my boxes that I wanted & purchased a draft of the craftsman from the market place which I used on that first run through the recipes. Managed to craft everything for myself I wanted & a bunch of augs for guild mates.
    I then focused on Blacksmithing & got to 325 in that before doing any more Conflagrant recipes, and before I do any more in the other crafts I will do at least that beforehand in them. EDIT: And I had maxed trophies 310 ish or more in most skills & the AP earned (not maxed since thats' just for stats not the ts bonus) by I think week 2 of RoS after farming materials the first two weeks alongside doing RoS progression & finishing AP off.

My point, as it was apparently not obvious enough & got your casual hackles all upset, is that it is perfectly doable with a reasonable time investment you have had absolutely ages to work on AP and I don't consider myself uber, there are folks on my server who are & finished maxing their AP more than a month ahead of me even starting mine. If how long it takes was not your complaint then why did you complain about it?

You're the one that started out with the potted history I just replied in kind giving you mine as it pertained to AP progression.
  8. Moege Augur

Nowhere is it ingame that you have to do those, not doing them will result in more failures.
    You have choices
    - Buy in the bazaar
    - Have someone else make the items
    - Spend time and get your skill up

All of them reasonable. You want to take a shortcut and change the game to suit your playstyle.
    That is not reasonable.
  9. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Simplest solution I can think of (uses the least dev time, addresses some of the issues):

Let the game display what your expected success chance is. Then, it's an informed decision, and the player makes their choice to combine or not.
    Skrab and Petalonyx like this.
  10. Warpeace Augur

Math is hard right? Dev time is not required to figure out if you have a reasonable chance to succeed or fail.

This thread was started by a person with unrealistic expectations of their skill level and the results.
  11. Warpeace Augur

Dev time is not required to figure out if you have a reasonable chance to succeed or fail.

This thread was started by a person with unrealistic expectations of their skill level and the results.
  12. Svann2 The Magnificent

You could have asked in general or in guild if you should try at that skill and you would have gotten your answer.
  13. Tatanka Joe Schmo

I disagree. At the higher skill levels, huge differences between your skill and the triv do not always produce predictable success chances, plus the differences created by mastery AAs, trophies, and the AP. Then throw in items which have a non-standard success rate, and it's FAR from a simple math problem.

For example, using EQTraders calculator, a 300 skill for a 523 triv item produces a 5% success chance (the minimum, guaranteed base success chance). Now, assume all 3 mastery AAs: 29%. Now, assume a 12% trophy (not even maxed): 47%

That's a huge variation in expected success rate, all with the same base tradeskill value. And if you have the AP, those expected chances are even better, unless the item has an artificially lowered base success chance. Plenty of variables to make it not at all obvious to a casual user what their expected success chance will be.
    Skrab likes this.
  14. Svann2 The Magnificent

I think the devs themselves are not always knowing of what the actual success rate is. If they wrote it on the recipe "there is a non-zero chance" that that would be wrong info.
  15. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

16. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Thanks. And in that first sentence (too late to edit now), I meant to say "obvious success chances", not "predictable"
    Skrab likes this.
  17. Raccoo Augur

Man it'd be nice to have that on a modern era server...
    Kels likes this.
  18. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

It would, and I am a big advocate of live servers having AoC - for all-access members.
    Raccoo and Barton like this.
  19. Barton The Mischievous

Put AoC on all live servers and sell the FTP crowd an unlocker in the shop win/win
    Skuz likes this.
  20. Darchon_Xegony Augur

Trading AoCs to live servers in exchange for Truebox removal and F2P accounts for muling purposes.
    Skuz and Barton like this.