DPS classes at level 101 and beyond

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Kalipto, Jan 23, 2021.

1. Kalipto Augur

Hey Norrathian friends,

I'm thinking about a return to one of the older TLP servers but wanted to ask a question about DPS at and beyond level 101. I have little experience with the 101+ game. But what I remember is that the dichotomic spell line comes out at 101 and changes the DPS scene drastically.

Is it true that berserkers go from being decent in groups to being completely untouchable in terms of dps output? If yes, at what point does dps even back out, in the group scene, to where other classes catch back up to berserker?

Are there any classes, again in the group scene, that do keep up with berserkers after they get their dichotomic?

How does this post 101 balance work out in raids? I'm guessing dichotomics don't impact zerkers as much on raids as they'll run out of endurance so quickly and can't use their out of combat regen discs. So at 101+ is the raid dps still fairly balanced?

Thanks in advance!
  2. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Berserkers are insane DPS. Always at the top of the DPS heap.
  3. Rage Lorekeeper

Dicho is TBM, the 2nd 105 expansion. Berserkers have endurance issues in TBM but those mostly go away in EoK with the new AAs and sapping strikes. Generally berserkers are going to be your best bet for group dps, especially with a raid or chase weapon, but they are more dependant on adps then most classes. If you run sham/bard/bst berserker dps goes way up.

Necros are top dps in raids 101+ since the DoT revamp. Berserkers are top on short burns but almost every fight takes long enough necros are top. Necro dps in groups is weaker if you are in an overall high dps group where mobs are dying in ~10secs though.
    minimind likes this.
  4. Vumad Cape Wearer

Necros might be on the top but throw a few necros in the raid and over DPS on the boss causing event mechanic problems becomes an issue. Lots of events have adds that are triggered by boss HP that are great for Zerkers after being caused by the necros. The big disadvantage zerkers and rogues have is running the to mob, such as on Zlandicar where he's at the bottom and the event mechanics are at the top. Casters turn and burn and a huge amount of Melee DPS is lost due to travel time. But more of the events are in ways where zerkers can really shine. We had a Zerk hit 2 million DPS burning Tjoly in the TOV group mission (60 second fight). Their burst DPS is completely unmatched.

I haven't played a zerker and we rarely have one on raids for me to be able to say for sure how their DPS in raids pan out overall. However anytime I have grouped with a raid zerker in missions they are on the top of my parse.
  5. Act of Valor The Newest Member

I picked Monk because they're stylish and have some decent utility. It's good enough DPS. I'm fine with not doing as much damage as a berserker.
  6. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

A comparable-geared Monk, Berserker or Rogue are strong in groups & if they are comparable in skill they are competitive with each other with the Rogue & Berserker having an edge on the Monk by 105 in groups, Berserker DPS at that level range is often quite front-loaded but as a fight progresses the Rogue will catch up so that on average over several hours of play they are not that far apart, that said if you have the Bard & Shaman in the group too the Berserker probably gains an edge as they benefit from good ADPS a lot.

That said DPS is not all a class is & Monks do have a few tricks up their sleeves.
  7. Kalipto Augur

Thanks for all the feedback! Sounds like, while zerkers do get a nice frontloaded bump in dps they're not untouchable by other classes. Necro seems to stay solid but does require longer living targets - as I'd have expected.

Nobody has mentioned wizard. How do wizard's hold up in the 105+ game for raids and groups? Last time I played one my dps was mostly limited by my aggro.
  8. KrakenReality Augur

There's your answer.
    kizant likes this.
  9. Kalipto Augur

Hah okay. Good to know. More details would be nice though! =)
  10. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

As a wizard, you can expect to be between #6 and #20 on a raid parse in end-game Live server content.
  11. Kalipto Augur

Gotcha. Sounds like they could use some love. But that's not what this thread is for so I'll leave it at that.
  12. Vaeeldar Augur

I’ll say this the context is totally dependent on your end goals and group makeup. If you have a bard in your group outside of necro (and even then only in COV t2) the casters won’t compete with the melee chars.

Of melee ber/rogue are really king of the hill. the monk isn’t far behind but it’s not near as competitive and it’s truly hard to beat a ber burst dps which in the group game is incredibly powerful.

If we are talking raid classes can keep up but for missions and overall group game frankly I’m not sure anybody can tough ber right now.

Long story short answers come from a point of view - meaning the type of game they engage in.

Wizzies are broken and need some love as mentioned. I retired my 3 wiz.

All this is in the context of somebody who 6 boxes ugh i guess 5 group combos now ? Maybe 6 (yes I have issues. I run necros, mages, ber, monk and rogue (rogue is newest but still 115 with about 30k aa. I also tend to box in multiples to take advantage of alliance.

If I had to rank ber > rrogue > necro (except big targets like zland or crusaders) / monk > mage/range > everybody else.
  13. Vumad Cape Wearer

Wizards are a pure DPS class like the zerker. They have no meaningful utility role. They can port/evac, snare/root and that's about all of it. They contribute nothing to a raid beyond DPS, but other classes with a lot more utility can out DPS them. Wizards are in a very bad place right now. I don't know why anyone would pick a wizard over a mage or necro. That is very unfortunate because it should be a very powerful and useful class, but they have been neglected. The one thing wizards bring is cold damage which is advantageous in a very very very narrow range of gameplay.
    menown and kizant like this.