Randomly falling to death?

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Cusashorn, Jan 22, 2021.

1. Cusashorn New Member

Hello, I'm posting on behalf on my father, who is currently working with CS to resolve an issue he is experiencing. (I haven't played EQ myself since 2004, so I can't comment on the issue.)

His Gnome Warrior has been experiencing random moments since early December of 2020 where she just falls to her death just by walking around the game world. According to the dialogue with customer service, he experienced this just by randomly traveling through the Commonlands, Abysmal Sea, Grelleth's place, East Waste Zeizsh-ka, Evantil (with a levitation device active), and Lesser Faydark. Nowhere near any massive crevices or cliffs. Apparently his mercenary dies with his character every time this happens.

CS mentions that it might be caused by a client-side user interface issue, but my dad was unable to resolve this without completely uninstalling EQ then reinstalling it. Things worked out fine at first, and now it's happening again.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? You're just randomly traveling through the world and then you die from falling damage? He's been submitting /bug reports to help out, but it's starting to get very expensive.
    Barton likes this.
  2. Soulbanshee Augur

What is clip plane set to? Full screen or windowed? What is max frames per second set to? Is the game window in the foreground or background (or minimized)? What is memory mode set to? If using full screen, what is refresh rate set to? Default UI or custom UI?
    Cusashorn likes this.
  3. Cusashorn New Member

hmmm. I will have to check, but it shouldn't be anything different from how he was playing all throughout 2020 up until that point.

Where would he look to find those options?
  4. Soulbanshee Augur

Display Options.
  5. KrakenReality Augur

If you’re too far over the weight cap, walking over a pebble will cause you to fall to your death.
  6. Cusashorn New Member

Does the weight cap still result in drastically slowed movement like it always had back in the day? I don't think that's the case as he has no issues with any slowed movement around the game world. I'll ask him about it.
  7. KrakenReality Augur

I had a character with 1400+ carry weight because I forgot to keep moving housing items off of it. It moved around normal and maintained follow with the rest of my box crew. I would randomly fall to my death while running through a zone without levitate. Moved the excess weight off my character then stopped experiencing the issues.
    Cusashorn likes this.
  8. Rondor Augur

Maybe related: I have had cases where the "sink to the ground" mode was stuck on a character, maybe due to hitting some keys by mistake. This is similar to pressing the End in the 6-key key non-keypad area to fall faster, or similar to 1st person view facing downwards.

To fix that I'd go into 1st person view (hit F9 a few times or zoom in with mousewheel), aim upwards with the PageUp key and also hit End a few times, then while facing up I would exit back to 3rd person view either with F9 again or with middle-scroll-wheel backwards. Then for good measure, once back in 3rd person view, hit Page-Up again while walking forwards to "stick" the "don't try to sink" mode.
  9. Cusashorn New Member

Well, my dad's warrior is carrying full 100% weight reduction bags and is at 1100/1700 even without them.

I suggested he make an alt and play that for a while to try and reproduce the bug... so far so good. Using the same default UI.
  10. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

That seems extremely high on the weight ratio. My characters are fully loaded with bags etc and are not over 45 out of 2173. So if he is showing 1100/1700 then that to me is over the weight.

Why not just move some of that weight to the bank and see how that goes.
    Cusashorn likes this.
  11. Barton The Mischievous

1100/1700 ? Is he carrying around a heavy bag or 2 That seems way high. I would check the weight of the bags some are designed to be bank bags and weigh hundreds of lbs. On my druid im at like 25/1657 with 100% weight reduction bags
  12. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Warrior with full WR bags should be no heaver than 75 & probably a lot less, 1100 is a heck of a lot and even if your upper weight limit is way above that the more weight you have the harder you hit the ground when you land.
  13. Zynt Augur

He said that it's 1100/1700 without the WR bags.
  14. Barton The Mischievous

Oh huh ummmm wow. Maybe the OP can post an image of the characters gear and bags inventory etc. Though I am not sure any combination of gear/stuff that would get you to that weight without bags
  15. Cusashorn New Member

Okay, so apparently my dad still had one bag that weighed something like 800, so he'll swap that out with a WR bag. He's not exactly a hardcore player so there are still a few mechanics that he's not informed about.
    minimind and Barton like this.
  16. Barton The Mischievous

Cool hope that fixes his problem
    minimind likes this.
  17. Cusashorn New Member

I hope so too, because my dad told me last night that one of his guildies had an Iksar who experienced the exact same problem before the release of the current expansion and it took direct development intervention to fix the issue.