Epic 3.0 ideas

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Cileos, Jan 19, 2021.

1. Froglok Augur

Technically, there was all ready an Epic 3.0 & 3.5. Sorta.

In the Rain of Fear Expansion, the 3.0 was awarded with the Achievement: The Depths of Fear, which could, in turn, could be made into the 3.5 with a raid drop.
  2. Mazame Augur

Cileos, you said you put some thought into this. But did you consider the cost? You may not play them all but there are 16 classes in EQ. To do an epic for each one it takes time and work like you pointed out. To make an epic quest it as much work as if not more then making a new zone. If you think about it each step in an epic is a quest. Currently we get 6 quest per zone and 6 zones per exp. so that 36 quest. Most epics had about 6 main steps so to kind of compare the work load it would take to do epics right your looking at 96 quests. In other words they would have to spend 2.6 years worth of time making quest. Most of those quest would only be available to 1 class.

When we compare that to normal quest that are doable by all classes I would much rather have the added content and skip on the "epics'" DBG has already said they wont do epic's because the time and resources it takes is not worth the loss in other areas that better full fill the player bases needs.

Also if you look at the nerco's it took years for them to be able to replace their weapon. Making an item that last for 4+ exp and making it balanced it bad in a number of ways.
    1st trying to make it able to last but not be so over powered that new content needs to be built around it.
    2nd People enjoy getting new gear it is nice to have a slot or two that last for 1-3 exp like the TBL Fight Fire gear or the ToV ear .. but there is a downside to those items as well. Have you consider how much gear had rotted because of the TBL evolving items? It taken 4 slots for 3 Exp now that when group or raid gear drops for those slots it is passed on. This effect the economy in a number of ways. As much as people enjoy getting the power slot gear there is a flip side to it..

I liked ToV having just the Ear slot as it didn't lock us into another 4 slots. Also it was said that CoV was going to have a Evolving item as well but is was dropped due to the lost of two long term employee's. New employee require work to train and get caught up to par and that effect what we got in CoV. So as much as the Idea of an epic sounds good. There are many downsides to it. If the options was to have a new epic or 2 year worth of new content I would much rather enjoy the new content.

The fact that they have been doing the Evolving gear show they do understand people want to have an epic quest that offer a better then avg reward. Doing things that are not class linked means that less work can go into it and it can be enjoyed by more classes/ players. I think it a great balance in getting an epic quest with out the loss of other content.
  3. KrakenReality Augur

1. This isn't a DPG project meeting, it's a fan forum. Let people dream. They've pumped out a ton of crappy ideas over the years that the community hasn't requested (Overseer, Dragon's Hoard, Nobles, Luck stat, etc)
    2. The average user spends $444 per year. Note this is account, and not lumping boxed accounts under a single individual.
    3. Epic 2.0's release in November 2004, it's been 16 years.
    4. Epic's are actual marketing worthy content for a new expansion. Right now, they're hyping up the Dragon's purse, RNG item spawns, copy pasted spells and items, and some generic Kill X tasks.
    5. Let these game designers actually dream and create some cool stories and events around classes.
    6. Epics are community building events. This community literally carries this game, while management actively pulls back the reigns.
    Cileos likes this.
  4. Mazame Augur

I understand what you are saying. but in the end my feeling still hold true.

I would rather see more content that I can enjoy with all of my toons VS. a long drawn out quest that I do once and done. After all how many times have you done the same epic for the same toon?

I think an epic quest line is great idea but should be open to all classes not just one class. If you take the same resources used to make 16 class epic and put that same effort into making a truly epic quest that any class could do. To me the non class epic quest would be far greater.

My idea I posted on other topics would be to use the "belt slot" You could do an massive epic quest to gain a belt. The aug slots could follow that of the type 19 augs and you could have the different belt effects that we seen from slow to a DD proc to a snare etc. people could then customize the belt using the Augs for their class and play style.

In this way you get the effect of an epic quest or better with out the need for DBG to make 16 diffrent epic quests.

I want people to have dreams but it would be even better to adept the dreams into something that could be and then having those dreams come true. Epic 3.0 has been asked for from long before DBG took over and has been told it will not happen. so rather then beating a dead horse with a stick why not work towards making a dream that could happen.
    Cileos likes this.
  5. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

Some people just don't get appearances.

It's already been said, forget the quest!

Forget the non-visible with stats!

People want cosmetics that, look cool, show others you got it, remind you of your satisfaction in obtaining it, allow you to customize your character.

Non- visibles and stats are for cookie cutter min/maxers.

And surprise surprise, I'm all for just plain paying for it in the marketplace, if that greases the wheels of dev time, and actually benefits the development of the content you want in the process.
    Jhenna_BB, Cileos and KrakenReality like this.
  6. KrakenReality Augur

I understand what you're saying, and for the most part I agree that the work, if done has to be done smartly and efficiently. I just disagree with it being a belt slot. If you want maximum return on the investment then it has to be a weapon slot. It's the most visibly distinct item on a character and gets the nerds excited.
    Kaenneth, Cileos and MasterMagnus like this.
  7. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

DING DING DING

Also it's better than armor or robe, being just plain less surface area, and lower polygon budget.

Plus this is an art team chore, not game design dev work.

Their problem, apparently, is getting management to assign Covic and TTobey to come over from EQ2 and make them.
    KrakenReality likes this.
  8. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

For some classes epics are a waste of time, 1, 2 and 3.

If they do decide to do another round of epics, don't bother doing one for wizzy it is just a waste of time.
  9. Barraind Grumpy Old Bastage

Wait, wait, you mean to tell me that adding the equivalent of 3 bank slots per character, that by design are worse than actual inventory slots and are questionably on the same level of usefulness as putting stuff in a crate in your house, isnt something to get super excited about?
  10. Cileos New Member

Us nerds do love having shiny weps to show off. Think of all of the "ultra rare" weps. how many people flaunt they have these rare weps. We just wanna show off that took time and effort grinding away.
  11. Cileos New Member

Yes I did :) I put a reply later on that devs should open up player studio and get ideas from the actual player base to take quest ideas item designs complete story lines related to classes so that it takes the load off of the dev team. So that the devs aren't taking years and years of their time developing quest lines they can still do the expansions. Also of course I don't expect these to all be released in a month! that would be absurd. But something from the dev team to commit to it and make a statement that they will be working on creating a epic 3.0 questline but not to expect its completion for some time would still give this request and the requests of many others fulfillment. There are a ton of ways the dev team can lessen their own load in creating an epic 3.0. Give the community parameters for the player studio. create sections for each individual class so everything isn't all jumbled together and they can read through each classes suggestions and like i say weed out the poor suggestions based on likes on posts. obviously people with better ideas that get more feedback from the player base are going to be more enjoyable to the mass player. It may not be for everyone I have seen multiple wizards posting about their dislike of the epic. I for one who played a wizard as my main for years LOVED the epic. It looks awesome the storyline was fun and entertaining to do. Sure the weapon itself may be underwhelming compared to that of others. But this isn't min-maxquest. Plus Everquest has come along way since then with item procs! Who knows what they would be able to come up with now. Plus with the player studio there will be endless ideas to pick from I'm sure.
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  12. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Player studio isn't a thing any more for EQ.

I really don't understand people going on about graphic looks with so many wanting new weapon ornaments.
  13. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

It's just a different play style. Some of us like to look distinctive.

And it's a huge money driver in gaming.

While they don't accept new submissions from us any longer, Player Studio keeps making the company money (and us PS artists), while taking exactly 0 time away from any development for years now.

So you can give a little thanks to Player Studio for helping support the game you love ;)
  14. Svann2 The Magnificent

If you guys do epic 3's, just remember to make bard epic instant click!
    code-zero and Skuz like this.
  15. Vumad Cape Wearer

Epics and their quests don't need to be in a single expansion cycle.

Epics would have been very realistic on a 5-year cycle. 4 epics per year on lore, story, graphics, etc. Then the 5th year they are part of the expansion content. People would be fine with a customized partisan/merc arc that ended in an epic weapon, which is then increased from T3.5 group to T2.5 raid with Raid stuff.

This "customized" arc would simply be the years 1-4 lore with some slight tweaks per class. So Pallies, necros, SKs, clerics get tasks to kill undead. Druids, rangers, bst, etc are mostly involving animal mobs. Zerkers, rogues and rangers involve huminoid mobs.

Players would be perfectly fine with a single epic task and a single epic raid in the same level with simply different dialog and a a 1-per class mechanic in the event. (Example, mobs are mezable but hit harder in ENC event, undead with massive HP but huge bane damage in Pally event, etc).

And, I believe that every expansion should include areas of undead, summoned, animals, etc so each class has an area to thrive every expansion, then adjusting these missions for specific mob types would be easy because the expansions would already have these mobs in their design every single expansion. No big deal if a year behind schedule, next expansion has all the same mob types somewhere.
  16. Jumbur Improved Familiar

If epic 3 is like epic 1 and epic 2, then there wont be many who complete them in-era. Spending a year of devtime on a quest only 20-30 people game-wide will complete, does not seem optimal to me.

It will likely be too grindy for most peoples tastes... Wanna bet, the prequest alone will involve completing all the achievements... "You must be a completionist in the world of Everquest, to activate this quest item"...:p
  17. Kaenneth [You require Gold access to view this title]

Just add a new visible slot; the Codpiece.
  18. Dhurgan Augur

Epic codpiece adds a pulsating glowing effect that gets brighter with more heroic charisma.
  19. Kaenneth [You require Gold access to view this title]

20. Bigbird New Member

I Think they should redo the sk epic effects when they do the next patch and make it glow purple like when it procs its effects and also make the smoke around it a little more noticable the paladins have a cool one sks should too and 3.0 idea take the hatred ornament and mix it with a little of the 2.0 look with skulls of some sort with smoke and a hint or purple glow would look sick