Please give us the ability to 'res' our deleted characters.

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Veteran_BetaTester, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

If we accidently delete our characters, please allow us to get them back.
    Charge us if you need. I miss a couple of old toons.

We do sleepplay you know! Accidents happen.
  2. Warpeace Augur

That accident took some effort.
  3. Tryal Anderror Journeyman

Yeah I deleted one Yeah I just deleted a toon a couple days ago, it makes you say ok like 3 times and type in the name of the toon, its a hard accident to make.
  4. Cragzop Cranky Wizard

Could we make this a Thunderdome setting?

Two people who want a deleted toon returned are put in a thread where they have to convince us why they should get restored and the rest of us get to comment and vote on which one gets restored.

The winner gets their toon back.

I see someone making a great EQ themed video for We Don't Need Another Hero

P.S. This is what happens during long patches and I have nothing to do. I've already cleaned logs and updated all map files...
    Yinla, Skuz and Thesehips like this.
  5. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Ability exists somewhat, can file a petition and ask for a character to be restored - however there are caveats, if you made a new character with the same name as the old one you probably overwrote the old character's file & made it unrecoverable.
  6. Tutankamen Augur

That's no longer true. It was at one time but not any longer. A year or two ago I deleted a heroic thinking i'd get incremented one, and didn't. So I asked to have it restored. They say they will no longer provide that service in any circumstance.
  7. Benito EQ player since 2001.

I asked the devs to make the name confirmation prompt in response to Customer Service no longer recovering characters. There's hardly a scenario to accidentally delete a character. I can only think of rage quitting or letting a family member or friend access your account.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  8. Jumbur Improved Familiar

They could make a little checkbox in account-setting on the webpage, that toggled "deletability" or something(defaults to OFF, and switches back to OFF after 5 mins of being ON).
    That way you can't delete a char from character select without logging into the account with your browser first.

But do we really need to make it THAT idiot-proof?
  9. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I was not referring to the restoration of a heroic character, only a non-heroic I should perhaps have clarified that but it should have been one of the obvious caveats.

When a Heroic is deleted you may re-create another character using that heroic upgrade, in which case they cannot restore your old character or you could have a whole roster of heroic 85 using just 1 upgrade.

One of the free Heroic upgrades will not allow you to create another if you delete it, while most will, and all store-bought ones let you do so.
  10. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

I have not heard of a normal (non heroic) character being un deleted since 2015 when all those FV "scams" went on and they stopped recovery cold.
  11. Tutankamen Augur

I'm not either. I'm talking about ANY character that was deleted- just like the heroic one I deleted. They will not restore ANY character, heroic , non-heroic, level 110, level 13- from 1988, from 2020... it doesn't matter. They will no longer restore characters at all under any circumstance. At least that is what I was told- that is a service that is no longer provided.
  12. Zamiam Augur

you would be surprised how many idiots there are :p

example: lady burns her self from drinking HOT coffee at a local fast food joint and sue's and wins .. that fast food joint now puts a label on their cups in general " to be careful the coffee is HOT and may cause permanent damage" not exact wording but you get the gist.
  13. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

14. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

[IMG]
    Zamiam likes this.
  15. Myrdale Journeyman

I would pay $20 for a token I could click that would flag my character as non-deletable.
    Veteran_BetaTester likes this.
  16. Zamiam Augur

and you know there will be someone who buys said token so they cant delete their toon then turn around a year or 2 later and petition that they should be allowed to delete said character if they want :p you know that's what will happen
  17. Tatanka Joe Schmo

And then they can buy a "no really, let me delete this char" token. For another $20, of course :)
  18. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

Seriously, I have played like 30 hrs once and ended up deleting a character doing something. I thought maybe I was trying to create a new toon. I was EXTREMELY tired. It is possible to do this 'type the name' and not know what you are doing.
    (I blame Ogres).

RIGHT away I petitioned and ended up getting the 'hotkey reply'... sorry we don't do this service anymore.
    YEARS of play gone.
    It is a powerful thing to lose a toon you raided with and played for years, and no way to get it back.

So yeah, give us a way to get those accidently deleted toons back.

Just something to think about.
  19. Elsewhen New Member

Each time you use the token or the reverse token the cost should double...
  20. Rondor Augur

In general the customer service people apparently will not undelete characters anymore.

However in some super-rare exceptional cases they may do it:

There was a legitimate case in August 2016 where a bug in the "type your character's name to confirm you really want to delete it" system was triggered, and in that exceptional case a character was restored once there was proof there was an actual bug that happened. See post #21 and #22 for the resolution of the issue:

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/warning-character-deletion-bug.234387/

This particular bug was corrected in the patch of 2016-08-17: