Epic 3.0 ideas

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Cileos, Jan 19, 2021.

1. Cileos New Member

Hello fellow Norrathians,

It's been quite some time since we've seen anything new and exciting as far as an epic story line is concerned so I've done some thinking and would like to put this idea out there for the staff to consider as a release in a later expansion or in CoV if time permits. Epics are fun to do. the grinding mobs for days camping it out getting pissed off when you log in to see some other group standing over the mob you've been camping for weeks' dead body. It's part of the fun of EQ and epics. Something I would love to see out of Everquest, soon is an Epic 3.0. Something that wont lose its punch to gear later on in the same expansion though. something that even once we hit raid tiers it's an item that is still used, is still worth having it equipped.

A progressing 3.0 epic is my idea. Something that at the beginning of an expansion there's a questline to obtain a new item of untold powers. that would be considered your class tier 1 weapon. and as you complete feats of advancement. whether it be kills for weapon exp somewhat like Fight Fire rares, or achievements in progression (I personally lean more towards weapon exp to keep the epic weapon relevant in later expansions). But something that gives people a reason to farm something to get people out there after they have the best group gear, a purpose to keep playing. Afterall thats what Fight Fire rares did. It gave everyone a purpose, new tiers unlocked when progression was completed grinding for days and days trying to max it out. even the Earring in ToV. gathering components crafting new additions. becoming a stronger more powerful earring even in raids there was a component for the earring. Something that was stronger than any ear you could get in raids once it was at full power. That's what I think the epic 3.0 should evolve into being. a simple weapon at first. but something that you keep with you throughout your adventures that as you get stronger it gets stronger with you. A cherished relic of your character. And there's and endless amount of ideas and paths to go with a new epic. Class specific augs for your epic that you earn through your trials of war and conquest. New item procs relevant to your classes epic. A new bow made of the best elven wood for rangers, and strong shield forged by ancient dwarves for warriors, a staff of wonderous knowledge for enchanters.

Ofcourse this would take quite a long time to put completely together as a huge lore based story for each class to tie the Epic into their class into the expansion is no easy task. But I think having something like that in the game a weapon to keep along your journey and grow with your character is something a lot of people would enjoy in an expansion.

Thank you for your time,

Happy hunting.
    Luithien123 likes this.
  2. Cragzop Cranky Wizard

I wonder over the years how many first posts ask for more epics?

We've been told ... do you want epics or do you want zones and missions for an expansion?

I know I want zones and missions.

I also don't need to get shafted as a wizard main by another underpowered epic effect. Cause they cannot balance the simple stuff.

If you win either lottery though, feel free to invest in EQ and make it happen!
    Andarriel, Yinla and Coagagin like this.
  3. Cileos New Member

I appreciate your feedback! some questions for you though, Does it being my 1st post or my 1000th relate to the relevancy of adding new epics to the game?

I would be pleased if an expansion was pushed back so that they could include missions, zones and an Epic storyline. As that's what playing and mmorpg is about. The storyline and development of a character and introducing new lore into a game to further broaden that. The point of an epic is not to make classes over powered or under powered. It's the achievement of completing it.

I have no concern over what effect the epics have. Like any other gamers I want my class to be strong but to increase on the storyline is also important. It's not all weapon procs and stats who can hit harder than the other guy. It's getting together having a good time. playing with your friends, your guildmates. Getting a group of people together to go out there farm out your epic, grind mobs out, gather components from everyone to craft one piece. If a class does end up being unhappy with what their epic does, they should create a thread and get feedback from the community and give everyone somewhere to voice their opinions on the matter for devs to see how the community feels as that's what forums are for.

I invest in Everquest every time I log in and play my toons. I invest my time into the game as well as my money so with that being said I decided to create this post to get feedback from other players about their thoughts on a new epic story line ,including yours this is in no menas to discredit what you said, what they would like to see, as well as feedback from staff members relating to the introduction of a new epic. I think a lot of players would be thrilled to have it.
  4. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

[IMG]
    Nennius, Nolrog, Ezbro and 1 other person like this.
  5. Act of Valor The Newest Member

This subject has been beaten to death and the answer always boils down to "no, not feasible."
    Coagagin likes this.
  6. Erebor New Member

I like the idea. Epic quests were fun back in the day, and reducing the next expansion by a zone would be worth it :) Players can do only so many merc/partisan quests, give us some variety. An epic quest or another evolving quest would be nice.
    Luithien123 likes this.
  7. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

8. Svann2 The Magnificent

Im curious - why would you use a smaller font for your post? I can see changing the font larger or small for a few words as emphasis or to be cute, but why go to the trouble of making a whole post of tiny? Serious question. Something wrong with the default font that everyone else uses?
    Tatanka, Zamiam and WeezFv like this.
  9. Slasher Augur

I know it sounds easy and its probably not but add a reward for a certain ach in every expansion that gives you a class specific weapon. Or an item to combine in a forge with your current epic that upgrades it to just above the best group version of that slot and have an item drop in raids for a raid version or a reward you get for raid achs. We don't need some elaborate quest line.
  10. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

The Class Weapons in Rain of Fear were pretty well done, I am okay with that kind of class based weapon.
    Creating epic 3.0's would mean NO expansion for a whole year and that would be dumb, especially since unless those epics were evolving weapons planned to stay with you for a few expansions or something they would be replaced fast anyway.

Better off relegating epics to the history of EQ until we have a bigger playerbase & a bigger dev team - if that ever happens.

IF that idea ever gets revisited I would tie it to a personal story arc with some /gasp solo content for your class that carries through several expansions but rather than a weapon it would be better as an augment for your class if weapons were given an "epic slot" that added a unique class-specific visual effect and some class specific bonuses, then each new expansion would have an epic augment update story/quest within it tied to the lore of that expansion. That way you could roll out an epic 3.0 quest across multiple expansions, or even many future expansions with the augment steadily gaining a little power each expansion and not be tied to one weapon.
    Cileos likes this.
  11. KrakenReality Augur

I think people mostly just want cool looking visuals again.
    MasterMagnus and Wyre Wintermute like this.
  12. Act of Valor The Newest Member

Yes, this I can agree with. That way of handling class specific weapons was done very well in Rain of Fear and I would be happy to see it return.
    Skuz likes this.
  13. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

How many times is this gonna be brought up i say no it takes to much of the dev's time to do epic quests stop beating a dead horse!

Andarriel
    Yinla likes this.
  14. Cileos New Member

Love this idea. this would be great to see in the game definitely something that goes across multiple expansions would be preferred!
  15. Cileos New Member

And a lot of people have been pointing out the point of this process having to take up quite a lot of time from the dev team. Why not reopen the player studio and accept submissions about lore, storyline, designs, quests from the player base? It would save the devs time while they are working on an expansion to accept ideas from the player base and then it just gets implemented which ofcourse is no easy task but it takes away some of the pressure by having each class have its own section of player studio for the epic and see how the community reacts to different ideas it would be easy to weed out poor ideas as they will get less reactions and replies from people than stuff that actually seems interesting.
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  16. Barbwarrior Augur

Go fund me 3.0 much we needing lol?
  17. Slasher Augur

I honestly dont know why they we dont have class specific weapons every expansion tied to achievements. It gets people to do all the content and clearly if the weapon was good enough (just below raid level for group) and best in slot for raid people would do them everyone would do them so EVERYONE would do all the content in that expansion if its required.

It really does baffle me. You don't need some elaborate quest or TS combines please for the love of god dont do that but giving it as a reward for Master or Champion etc would get people into the expansion for months to complete it all and provide people more groups to join to do it.
    Cileos likes this.
  18. KrakenReality Augur

It keeps getting brought up because it’s popular and one of the most memorable parts of the game. People miss the cool looking graphic and unique clickable effects that make the item feel handcrafted and not from a spreadsheet. Epics brought about a lot of memories that people enjoy from helping strangers finish their quests to showing off the size of their to simply having a memorable item in the game to chase.

They did those evolving items in TBL and ToV, but they were just items with juiced up stats. They didn’t have to create visuals just an item graphic for the inventory and still couldn’t be bothered to design an unique clickable effect for them. It’s just sheer uninspired development.

It’s crazy that there are so many people on here ready to shout down anyone requesting the dev team actually develop content. Absor claims they can still create great content, but I haven’t seen it. They don’t develop classes, design very quests that aren’t just kill X mob, very few zones, items are formulaic, armor graphics haven’t changed since Luclin, clickable effects haven’t changed, collections are still the same nonsense, missions are just tuned down raids, and they don’t work on the TLPs.

So, when people come on here and ask for something they find fun how about you just don’t reply?
    Cileos, Luithien123 and MasterMagnus like this.
  19. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

Amen brother.
    KrakenReality likes this.
  20. KrakenReality Augur

Thanks man, it’s a bit more frustrating after seeing their financials. Players have upped their spending nearly 400% since early 2002, when subscriptions were $9.99/month. I don’t want to get into breaking down inflation for a dollar in 2002 versus 2021 where it would be worth $1.45. There are a lot of other variables to account for such as staff layoffs, hardware costs, infrastructure costs, etc some are pushed way down over the years and others have gone up. The game generates nearly as much revenue as it did in 2004, when the last round of epics were introduced.
    Coagagin and MasterMagnus like this.